Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Hot Wax

Waxing is a popular non-chemical form of depilatory. This is a guide about homemade hot wax.

March 11, 2013 Flag

• 2 fl oz corn syrup (maple flavor is fine)
  • Popsicle sticks
  • material from an old t-shirt, cut into brow size strips
  • small plastic food container with lid (a Glad 4 oz. size works well)

A headband is useful to keep your hair out of the way.

1. Put the syrup in a plastic container and heat 10-13 seconds in the microwave.
  2. Stir with a stick and test temperature on the back of your hand. If it's too hot, stir until it cools off.
  3. Use stick to apply to the brow area where you want the hair removed and place material there, rubbing in the direction of the hair growth
  4. Hold skin taut and quickly pull against the hair growth direction. Wipe area with a cool wash cloth and go to the next brow.
  5. Use as you would any hot wax on eye brows, lip area, leg or wherever you choose. Do not use more than twice on the same area per session to avoid soreness.

The trick to less pain is holding the skin taut! 2 oz. will last a year if you only use it on brows.

P. S. This can also be used to exfoliate your face by just evenly applying it and then wiping it off with a damp cloth. Picks up all those dead skin cells.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can't wait to try this!

January 13, 2006 Flag

I was wondering if anyone out there had their made their own depilatory wax? I was stunned by the prices on very small tubs of wax in the shops and had heard of people making their own.

Cathy from Townsville, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

do u have to use cornstarch? or is that ok?

Hi, I'm a girl who has a little problem with facial hair. I just want to make my own home made wax without having to buy an expensive wax that won't help. I would rather make a honey wax that doesn't require many ingredients and that takes the hair away for more than a week.

I don't see enough temperature warnings here. I have burned myself twice and it is quite easy to do. I recommend a metal thermometer and do not heat the mixture more than 140 degrees AT THE MOST and it will work quite well at 120 degrees.

Editor's Note: Good point sistersusan! Be careful with hot wax and make sure it isn't too hot before applying.

Do you have to use lemon juice can you use lime juice instead?

I'd like to do my bikini area...but...and I'm sorry you have to read this. When I was pregnant my stretch marks went past the hairline. They are very big and deep...should I not even bother? I don't know if you can wax over stretch marks.

Hi, I was just browsing and I came across this post, funny you ladies talking about making your own wax, I actually started making wax 30 years ago, as there was nothing good out there that did the job, so I just used my stuff. Then eventually friends where interested in it and loved it, and has grown from there. It's made from all natural ingredients and it lasts forever. If you guys are interested in knowing more or want to try some just drop me an e-mail at golden.wax AT hotmail.com. I hope I can help in some way. Merry Xmas.

Do you have to use lemon? Cause I wanna wax but I'm allergic to citric acid.

I've tried the karo syrup and honey on my facial hair, but when I pull the strip off (in the opposite direction of the hair growth, I might add) the hair is still there... am I doing something wrong? Oh, and another question if anyone can answer it. If I wax facial hair above the lip, will it grow back darker?

Hi Ladies,

Do you think there is still a market for homemade wax or waxes in general. I mean all I see in the market is laser treatments, easy to use hair removal creams, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

smoothlegs!

I strongly recommend professional waxes. They can come as low as six dollars, and it will be even every time. I wouldn't risk making your own.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips RemovalMarch 17, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
candle
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 12:21:17 PM on 10.0.1.74 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.