Cleaning Candle Wax from Walls

Category Walls
It is not uncommon for candle wax to get on the wall. Simply blowing out your candles too hard can splatter melted wax on the wall. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from walls.

I knocked a brown candle over and the wax went all over my living room wall. I used a hair dyer to melt the wax, but wiped the wax off with a Mr. Clean eraser dipped in 2 cups hot tap water with 2 tsp of white vinegar. No stains! This works really well on white/cream walls.

How do I remove candle wax from my painted wall?

By mooselady from Port Huron, MI

Answers

Try a hair dryer and be sure to catch it as it melts so it doesn't drip further on the wall.

Isopropyl alcohol 70% totally removed the red stain from white satin painted walls. The hair dryer is good for removing the excess but does not remove the stain.

I tried almost all of these suggestions and the only one that worked is the alcohol. Good luck!

I had a candle next to the wall and tried to blow it out, that failed. Went close up and gave it a blow. In my stupidity, I blew to hard and wax went all over the wall. I had a little steam cleaner. It worked great. No paint off the wall, just wipe the wax off as you go to not let it drip down further. It's only water so I'm assuming it's safe for pretty much anything.

Hi, I too had a red candle on my mantle for the holidays. I also blew too hard and splattered the red wax lightly on my painted wall. Tried all three suggestions (hand held steamer, hair dryer and magic eraser) and nothing removed the stain.

The above three were usefull in as much as I was able to remove all wax, but I had to resort to touch up painting to cover the pinkish stain that remained. Hope others have better luck. I must say I didn't tend to the wax on the wall for almost 2 weeks.

Anonymous

I tried the hair dryer method, it took the wax off, but not the red stain left behind. I then tried the alcohol, but that did absolutely nothing. Looks like I have to repaint that section of the wall :(

Thank you.. Blew a red candle out and blew it all over my wall I painted yesterday. I tried the blow dryer suggestion. It worked perfectly!

How do you get splattered candle wax off of white apartment walls and especially all the tv cords? ):

Answers

I have had luck getting it off by rubbing an ice cube over the wax and gently pulling it back my finger nail. Be sure not to get the water near the plug end (and be careful of it not dripping down the wall)...hold a clean wash cloth under it as you go to catch drips.

The challenge is if it is a color wax and stains the wall. That maybe some one else can help. I had to repaint when that happened to me with a red candle. Good luck!

Scrape it off with the edge of an old credit card.

Anonymous

Thankyou so much I'll give it a try!

Thanks! I appreciate your help. (:

Any suggestions on how to remove candle wax from a wall would be appreciated.

By LoriMae

Answers

I had to do this last week! I scrapped off what I could.

Then I got the blow dryer and warmed it and blotted it off. Last, I went over it with magic eraser. It got all of mine off.

I use an old credit card to scrape it off and then nylon net to get the rest.

I recently got blue wax on a white wall from my candle. I picked the wax with my nail, but it's a day old and the stain is still there. It's not a gloss finished wall. Please help.

By Debbie O.

Answers

Scrape off all you can, then heat the area with a blow dryer and blot at it with a clean towel. You may need to touch it up with a bit of paint. Many paint stores sell small bottles of touch up paint.

If you cant get all the stain off, apply a primer like Kilz and then paint

How do I get wax off of my wall?

By kristina from Willcox, AZ

Answers

Anonymous

Gently scrape as much as you can off of the wall and then hold a white rag (that you don't care about) over the wax and then iron over the cloth with a medium low warm clothing iron. The heat from the iron will melt the wax and the cloth will soak the heated wax up.

I literally just tried the ironing tip seconds ago - and it really works!
Red candle wax on neutrally painted wall... Brutal!

How do you clean wax from a potpourri melt off of the wall? I blew out the tea light from underneath but was too high. The wax spattered all over the white textured wall.

By Steve zal from Boston, MA

Answers

By Kim (Guest Post)

I took the advice of using the hair dryer and kept wipping the wall with a paper towel idea. For the most part it worked but still had to go back and repaint the wall from the stain.
Thanks

By Jenn (Guest Post)

I was relighting a candle & I accidentally dropped it... splatter on the TV, wall, floor & my bed. I think I'm gonna go try that :]

How do I get get hardened wax off the wall in my bedroom that's painted with flat paint?

By Brenda Adams W.

Answers

The application of heat or cold. I think the best option would be to put wax paper over the hardened wax (attach it with tape that won't damage the wall), then hover a steam iron about a centimeter away from the wall. The heat will soften the wax, and the wax should adhere to the wax paper.

Another option is to cover with wax paper, and go over the spot with ice or an icepack. Chilling the wax will make it brittle, and it should pop off without too much difficulty.

I am trying to clean red candle wax from a white wall. How do I get the stain out?

By Deetta

Answers

I've heard, but never tried it myself. Use an ice cube to freeze the wax so that it just crumbles off the wall. The coloring from the candle may leave a stain on your wall that would need to be lightly sanded, primed and painted over, but freezing will generally get the majority of the wax itself off.

How do you remove dried wax from a wall?

By Lynette

I need information on the removal of candle wax from walls and cloth.

By silverbird from Ireland

Have you ever blown out a candle in a wall sconce and gotten wax all over your wall? Well here is my tip to remove it. You especially want to get that wax off before repainting. Place a clean white cotton towel or cloth over wax on wall. Using regular household iron on medium high heat, with no steam. Iron over towel. Continue using clean areas of towel until all the wax is removed. You may have to use more towels if you have a lot of wax. This tip will work to remove wax from carpet also!

By Doreen

Answers:

Removing Wax from the Wall

Using a brown paper bag works much better. I use brown paper bags to soak up melted wax when I am doing batik. (07/13/2005)

By Renmeleon

Removing Wax from the Wall

What a great idea Doreen! Thanks for sharing this as I have some to remove from my carpet. "Not Me" was on the loose again and no one is owning up to it! I'm sure the towel will work perfectly and all of us with this problem appreciate you contributing to the site :)
Maryanne
http://www.teapotcottage.com (07/13/2005)

By Anonymous

Removing Wax from the Wall

Thank you so much for the info. I had wax all over my wall and on the floor and I used your method and it worked. thanks a lot. if you know how to get wax out of a sofa please let me know.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) The best way is getting a few pieces of paper towels and an iron set to a low setting. Iron the place on your sofa through the paper towel and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax. It may take a few times to get it all. (04/04/2006)

By annette

What gets wax off walls?

By jennifer white from Creston, IA

How do I get candle wax off a wall?

By judy leeper

Answers:

Candle Wax off the Wall

Have you tried ice? It worked for me with wax on several things. Once it gets cold it breaks right away. (01/25/2010)

By Chris

How do I remove candle wax from a wall? Burning candles on a wall sconce dripped all down the wall and onto hardwood floor.

I have read everyone's miracle cures for red candle wax on the wall with the hair dryer and the Sol-U-Mel.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.