Homework HelpEducation

Homemade Math Bingo Game

I home schooled most of our children until their sophomore year of highschool. I preferred to spend most of my education budget on big ticket items, such as microscopes and year passes to various museums and for field trips. That meant, I had to get frugally creative on our other curriculum. As a result, I "invented" several games. This is one of them.

Math Bingo can be done several ways. This particular set is the one I made to help learn multiplication facts. It goes up thru the 12 times facts.

The Bingo cards, I made from some manila folders that were headed to the trash. The numbers in the squares represent the answers. Usually my husband or I were the "callers". Instead of calling out B-52, as in the traditional game, we drew out the times problems, which I wrote out on smaller cards. The cards read 2x5=10 or 12x4=48. We would read the x part, but not the = part. (The = part was to make it faster when we would check the board after someone called bingo). Both the Bingo cards and the small facts cards I laminated with clear contact paper. They have held up since 2006. For markers, we use pennies. If their card is right, they get to keep their pennies. Once the kids realized they could keep the money, they started to study their times tables a little harder.

The second math bingo set I made up is of numbers for addition and subtraction. It works the same way.

The picture is of the multiplication Bingo. Some times we would play a straight line, or a diagonal, but the favorite game was to play blackout.

A couple years ago I found a similar set in a teacher supply store on sale for $21.

That would also be a fun game for us old folks.