Homemade Natural Insect Repellents

Category Repellants
Homemade Insect Repellents
If you are looking for an alternative to commercial insect repellents, try making your own. This is a guide about homemade natural insect repellents.

I stopped using chemical sprays to get rid of bugs when I found that mint works just the same. It's very effective and super cheap. Here are a couple ways to use mint as an insect repellant.

Boil a bunch of mint leaves with a few orange peels in some water and let it sit over night. Strain the next day and mix with equal parts rubbing alcohol. Pour in spray bottle. This is my favorite easy-to-make, natural insect repellant.

Crush some dried mint leaves and put in little sachets in your kitchen cupboards. They will deter pantry moths. They also work against small rodents and ants. You can also just use mint teabags!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Read 11 Comments

Instead of spending good money on expensive insect repellent, dab a few drops of tea tree oil on most of your pulse-points like your wrists, behind the ears and knees. Don't forget to dab a drop atop of your cleavage, ladies!

I have used this for years as a repellent and if you forget to use it, it will also heal bad insect bites. I personally love the smell too.

By Jeta from Cumbria, UK

Read 6 Comments

Use 2 1/2 teaspoons of any of the following essential oils, which can be purchased a at health food store: basil, cedar wood, citronella, juniper, lemon, myrrh, pine, or rosemary (choose the one that you like the scent of the most). Add the essential oil to 1 cup of the highest alcohol volume content vodka your state liquor store allows for purchase in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously. Rub a small amount on exposed skin and/or dab fairly sparingly (as you would perfume/cologne) on clothing.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Read 1 Comment

Essential oil is a wonderful all natural insect repellent! Peppermint oil will repel flies, ants, bees, roaches, and spiders! Simply add 10 drops of peppermint essential oil to 1/2 cup of water. Using a spray bottle, spray the area you want to be free of pests. Example: for spiders, spray around doors to keep them from coming in the house. For flies, spray around doors, or anywhere you want them to be repelled. Ants and wasps were always getting in my hummingbird feeders, not anymore:) For mosquitos, use the same ratio, but instead of peppermint add lemon essential oil, lavender also works. You can spray your skin or in the area to be repelled. I would spray a test patch on skin to test for sensitivity. And a bonus is they smell awesome!

I am going to try this repellent this year. Mainly if I go hiking or on a long walk.

• 2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 20 drops Avon Skin So Soft bath oil

Directions:

• Mix this all together and spray all over hair and skin.

• You can also use peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil instead of the skin so soft bath oil.

Do not use the essential oil on pets, as I have read they cannot break it down enough for it to be safe for pets.

This is a guide about homemade herbal insect repellent sprays. Many herbs are natural insect repellents.

Homemade Mint and Geranium Sprays

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about natural pest control. Making or buying natural pest control products can help reduce that amount to pesticides in our environment.

Insects are attached to this plant and need to be controlled.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My girls are going to summer camp soon and I would like to give them a natural way to keep the bugs away. I am really anti-chemical and would like to stay away from the bug repelents that you find in the stores. I know some people may recommend dryer sheets (they seem to work for so many things) but I've read an article that they contain dangerous chemicals. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Ann

Best Answer

1/2 cup Listerine, 1/2 cup water, 2tbs vanilla. Put it in spray bottle extract works great for gnats. Careful spraying on light clothing. I usually spray my skin and hair. I play golf and the gnats can be awful. This keeps them away.

I would like to know a cheap and safe way to spray for pests (ants, etc.) to keep them from getting in the house. I stopped my pest control service which was charging me $360 per year to spray 4 times.

JB from Harrisburg, PA

You can repel ants by misting around baseboards & other areas "unreachable" & wiping counters with vinegar!

I am looking for DIY insect or bug repellent?

By Robin

If anything homemade actually worked, Deet would not have been developed.

Thermocells and Off Lamps work in repelling mosquitoes from your area. They do not seem as stinky to me as the coils, which also work but have quite a strong smell. If you don't want to put something on your skin, this is the way to go.

Another solution, if you are working in your yard, is a big jacket with hood. The hood zips up and covers your face. And cover up the rest of your body-pants, socks, and gloves. My son, who hates chemicals wears one of these. He is building a log house next to a forest preserve and a river, lots of skeeters there. Inside his house, he has a thing shaped like a badminton racket that he swats/swishes mosquitoes with. It has batteries and kills them with an electric current; good for enclosed spaces with a limited number of mosquitoes, like inside a screen porch or your house. Some people use them around a campfire, swishing in front of their face, maybe it helps there too. It gives you something to do, anyway. However, it is effective in an enclosed space and works way better than swatting with your hand.

I use Deep Woods Off; if you have lots of mosquitoes you need a repellant with about 25% Deet. I live in Saskatchewan, and we are having a terrific (or horrific, depending on your viewpoint) mosquito year because of all the rain and flooding we have had. Trust me; I know my mosquito repellants.

Is there a such thing as a green/natural homemade insect repellent for indoors?

By Loleini

Anonymous

Sprinkle diatomaceous earth if it gets wet you'll have to do it again

Did you publish, in your article in Dear Webby, a recipe using Listerine mouthwash for keeping insects from bothering you when outdoors? I've lost my copy, and would like to prepare the solution for use these hot days. It was for a "spray bottle".

By Mary L. from Napoleon, OH

I use the Listerine and spray ahead of me as I walk around patio/deck. It seems to work - but never have had a huge problem with mosquitoes. Just put is a pray bottle and spray away. A way to keep mosquitoes down is to put a drop or two of olive oil in any container(s) (or whererever water collects) in your yard that might hatch mosquitoes. The oil will kill the larvae and then when the water evaporates the container will be lined with the oil - then when it gets water in it again the left over oil will be in the water... I put a drop or two in containers about 3 times during the summer.

For an herbal insect repellent, make your own by infusing a cup of basil leaves (packed) in 4 oz. of water. Strain and add 4 oz. of vodka. Pour the liquid into a squirt bottle and voila! There you have it! Homemade mosquito repellent.

By Terri

Answers:

Herbal Insect Repellent

Don't think I can convince a young mom with a toddler to spray vodka on him. Do you have any other remedies, will not use toxic pesticides (06/16/2005)

By Eileen

Herbal Insect Repellent

Don't worry about the vodka. Many spray-on insect repellents use a form of alcohol as a carrier (think rubbing alcohol). The vodka will not make the baby drunk. Vodka in this diluted amount is far healthier than the very toxic ingredients used in over-the-counter insect repellents, including Skintastic and the like. (06/16/2005)

By Mary

Herbal Insect Repellent

Someone told me about 1 tablespoon vanilla with 1 cup water, either put in a sprayer or wipe on with a papertowel. Haven't seen any bites, but not sure if we just haven't met a mosquito yet? ; ) A man at my husbands work got West Nile and was hospitalized for 3 days. He said it was like the flu X 100. YUCKO! I hate knowing that "it's" nearby! (06/17/2005)

By melissa

Herbal Insect Repellent

No, officer, really, I haven't been drinking. No, it's the mosquitoes! (07/25/2008)

By mountain girl