Repelling Insects Using Listerine

Did you publish, in your article in Dear Webby, a recipe using Listerine mouthwash for keeping insects from bothering you when outdoors? I've lost my copy, and would like to prepare the solution for use these hot days. It was for a "spray bottle".

By Mary L. from Napoleon, OH

There is no recipe. People just spray listerine around. It smells up the patio or where ever and does no good. Use the Off clipons or the Off lamps or the Thermocell devices for effective mosquito repelling, or use a repellent that contains Deet. Nothing else works.

I use the Listerine and spray ahead of me as I walk around patio/deck. It seems to work - but never have had a huge problem with mosquitoes. Just put is a pray bottle and spray away. A way to keep mosquitoes down is to put a drop or two of olive oil in any container(s) (or whererever water collects) in your yard that might hatch mosquitoes.

The oil will kill the larvae and then when the water evaporates the container will be lined with the oil - then when it gets water in it again the left over oil will be in the water... I put a drop or two in containers about 3 times during the summer.