Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Toothpaste Recipes

Making your own toothpaste allows you to control what ingredients you use and can also save you money. This is a guide about homemade toothpaste recipes. Below you will find recipe shared by every day experts, as well as questions and answers about making your own toothpaste.

Buying healthy products can be very spendy. I have found myself spending close to $5.00 on a tube of toothpaste in my search of finding one that wasn't filled with a long list of chemicals. Then I came across a recipe for homemade toothpaste and have been making it and saving money ever since! It's simple and quick to make and it tastes good.

To make your own toothpaste, just use a fifty/fifty ratio of coconut oil to baking soda. Start with a small batch and use a few tablespoons of each. If you like, add a few drops of an essential oil, like peppermint or spearmint, for flavor. You can add a bit of stevia for sugar-free sweetness. After mixing your toothpaste, keep it in a glass container with a lid. Then just spoon some out for use.

The mixture doesn't need to be refrigerated and because coconut oil is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal, it will help keep your toothbrush clean and sanitary too. Baking soda is a mild abrasive that provides a gentle cleansing and it's alkaline, so it neutralizes acids in your mouth that are often at the root of tooth decay. Baking soda also absorbs odors and helps produce sweet breath.

By Patricia from Maple Falls, WA

I use plain baking soda. Mint in toothpaste makes me cough a lot all day. I don't like any of the flavors of commercial or health food toothpastes. I like the "sweetness" of baking soda.

November 15, 2016 Flag

I've just made another batch of toothpaste for myself. It's very simple to make and the ingredients are natural and thrifty - the perfect combination!

In a clean, washed and dried, empty jar I scooped in some tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil (£2.35 for 283g Asda) then added about 20 drops of peppermint oil (£7.49 for 100ml Amazon). Use less if you prefer a less peppermint flavour, I like it quite strong.

I put the jar in the microwave for 30 seconds and then stir the mix together. You could use it straight from the jar (pop it in the fridge to set) or do as I have and put in a clean syringe when the mix is liquid. I find this a great way to squeeze a little onto my toothbrush and the syringes were very cheaply bought on Amazon. (£2.99 for 5).

It tastes lovely and it's all natural ingredients. And there's no fluoride which is the main reason I wanted to make my own.

Happy, clean and cheap smiles! :D

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 28, 2011 Flag

When we were very young, we were very poor and I never recall having toothpaste. We always made a paste out of baking soda and water and brushed our teeth with it. It was only when I was ten or so that I actually saw and used toothpaste. Now they have toothpaste with baking soda in it.

By GEM from VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I remember dipping my toothpaste covered brush into baking soda to brush my teeth & make them whiter before they put baking soda in the toothpaste. Can you believe my FIL used rubbing alcohol? He dipped his toothbrush right into the bottle! I tried it once & it puckered the skin in my mouth!

I make my own toothpaste with 3 parts baking soda, 1 part sea salt or Himalayan Salt and enough glycerin to make it flow. I put it back into the glycerin bottle because it has a spout that opens.

Leaves a fresh taste in your mouth.

January 6, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for toothpaste?

By Lorie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Baking soda won't bleach your teeth, but it will help get plaque off and make them shine. Be warned that baking soda is an abrasive and if you use it too much, the enamel on your teeth can get damaged. Good luck.

Best Answer

It might be cheaper to make your own toothpaste, but in the long run it might cost you more in dental bills. Store bought toothpaste has fluoride in it which helps protect against cavities. Really, no matter how old we are, if we still have our natural teeth, we need the fluoride. I was a dental assistant for 14 years so I know what I'm talking about. Also, as someone else posted, baking soda can be very abrasive to tooth enamel.

The answer to those who question why make your own, is that some of us hate mint flavor in toothpaste. It also makes me cough. I found one kids' toothpaste that is strawberry and it was OK. I found an orange toothpaste but it tasted like artificial sweetener. I like the flavor of baking soda. It's not about the cost for me. I'll spend a lot for a good, healthy product.

MCW's suggestion about buying toothpaste at a dollar store is good advice but be sure to check where it is manufactured. I have noticed that a lot of products like this are made in China, where they make a habit of putting nasty ingredients in many of their products. The toothpaste may carry a brand name on the tube, so be very careful.

Be careful when making your own toothpaste or buying your toothpaste at the Dollar Store. If you use the wrong ingredients in your own recipe you can take the enamel off your teeth. As for buying toothpaste at the dollar store, I just read an article in a woman's magazine that said that the toothpastes from China were not that great, and that a lot of them had way too much fluoride in them. Check out the article in Snopes.com for more information:

http://www.snop  d/toothpaste.asp

January 6, 2011 Flag

I'm trying to cut back on just about everything these days. I use baking soda instead of toothpaste and add a little water. Would it be okay to mix the baking soda with my (leftover) mouthwash, just making it moist, and calling it "toothpaste"? I'm wondering if the solution would damage teeth.

Any other ideas on making your own toothpaste appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Answers:

Make Your Own Toothpaste

Baking soda won't bleach your teeth, but it will help get plaque off and make them shine. Be warned that baking soda is an abrasive and if you use it too much, the enamel on your teeth can get damaged. Good luck. (04/11/2010)

By kffrmw88

Make Your Own Toothpaste

My grandparents used nothing, but a basic baking soda and water paste mixed together just before each brushing and they lived until their 70s and 90s with all their teeth in tact and no enamel damage and very few cavities. And a couple of them never even used a toothbrush, but rather their forefinger! (All four were born just before or just after 1900.)

The toothpastes of today, and anything other than a soft bristle brush, are much, much more damaging to teeth and gums than a good old fashioned baking soda paste!

I don't think it's a good idea to use a mouthwash mixed in with it. I would use regular, fluoride or anti-plaque mouth wash before brushing. (04/12/2010)

By Deeli

Make Your Own Toothpaste

You don't see as many toothpastes with baking soda in them any more. Dentists found they were wearing the enamel off of teeth. Just buy tooth paste. It doesn't cost that much. Most people use too much of it anyway. (04/12/2010)

By Lilac

Make Your Own Toothpaste

It might be cheaper to make your own toothpaste, but in the long run it might cost you more in dental bills. Store bought toothpaste has fluoride in it which helps protect against cavities. Really, no matter how old we are, if we still have our natural teeth, we need the fluoride. I was a dental assistant for 14 years so I know what I'm talking about. Also, as someone else posted, baking soda can be very abrasive to tooth enamel. (04/12/2010)

By lovethosehounds

Make Your Own Toothpaste

I have found brand name toothpaste in dollar stores. (I can't say I'd use something I'd never heard of.) Anyway, you only need a pea size dollop to brush with. You needn't cover all the bristles with paste. Cutting back on the real thing might be better in the long run. (04/13/2010)

By Beth

Make Your Own Toothpaste

Beth is right about only using a small amount of toothpaste. When I do use toothpaste I use a small amount and have done so for so long that it didn't dawn on me that others might be filling up their bristles. I use about a peanut size amount, but I also run it along outside and inside teeth just as I do with baking soda paste before beginning to brush. This disperses it evenly.

I am truly not trying to be mean or rude, but those who think baking soda paste is so highly abrasive should look at their toothpaste ingredients. They nearly all contain either sodium bicarbonate (which is baking soda) and/or hydrated silica (which is an abrasive) or other abrasive ingredients.

If you are worried about fluoride there are safe fluoride mouth washes out there that you can find by checking the labels. (04/13/2010)

By Deeli

Make Your Own Toothpaste

I've made my own toothpaste for over 2 years now. All I do is add 1/2 of generic Sensodyne and 1/2 regular toothpaste. I put this in a baby shampoo bottle and it makes 1/2 a bottle. I then add baking soda up to almost 3/4 bottle and almost to the top with mouthwash. Shake it well and add more toothpaste if needed. I have to use the generic Sensodyne because I've had sensitive teeth since a child. I hope this works for everyone. (04/14/2010)

By smathis123

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 11, 2010 Flag

Making your own toothpaste is both easy and cheap.

• 1 cup baking soda
  • 1/3 cup salt
  • 3 teaspoons glycerin
  • Flavoring for taste (Wintergreen or Peppermint Oil)

Directions:

Mix baking soda and salt together. Then add 3 teaspoons of glycerin and mix thoroughly. Add flavoring to taste. 5 to 10 drops will usually work. Find out what is best for you. Put paste into a squeeze bottle. Use as you would commercial toothpaste. You can also add a drop of food coloring to add a little color. Add a little more glycerin for thicker toothpaste.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes Teeth and MouthAugust 1, 2011
girl brushing her teeth
Saving Money on Toothpaste
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Tube of toothpaste.
Removing Toothpaste Stains from Clothing
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 8:18:28 AM on 10.0.2.135 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.