Housebreaking an Abused Dog

Housebreaking an Abused Dog

I, too, rescued a dog. I have had him for a little over 2 months and he is about 11 months old. He was in a crate for most of his life I believe and not treated well. It took him a while, but he is now very comfortable in my apartment and I love him dearly.

He is so scared to go out, it makes me sad. I have to carry him to go out and he is scared to death of every little thing and tugs to get back home. It is terrible. He will not go out and I do not know what to do.

By Jenny from New York, NY

Answers:

Housebreaking an Abused Dog

Patience. 2 months is a very short amount of time. Good for you for taking him in. (04/13/2010)

By catastrofy

Housebreaking an Abused Dog

If this were my dog I would carry him out and sit with him in my lap and snuggle. Don't ask him to walk or leave your arms (except to potty) the entire time. Stay out for a few minutes and then carry him back in. Do this as many times a day as you can and when you've put him down for potty time and he seems to want to stay down for awhile you'll know you're on the right track. Don't try to rush it. As you say, he's scared and doesn't need the pressure. Dogs are funny under stress. My little Penny didn't bark for the first 4 months I had her and she's a Doxie (a barking breed!), but once she felt at home she hasn't shut up! I'd go slow and easy. (04/13/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Housebreaking an Abused Dog

I rescued my dog as well and it sickens me to think what people have done to this dog to make them so scared of humans and anything else. My dog was older when I got him; almost 5. I have had him almost 1 year now and he still has accidents in the house. When he gets excited or nervous, he just goes wherever he is and then runs and hides while shaking. I guess he thinks he is going to get hit. I clean it up and tell him it's okay. He is too old to try and re-train. But your dog is still young. I know it hurts to see him scared when you take him out and you just want to pick him up and take him back in, but you can't do that. If you want him to learn, you have to be patient, but persistent.

Abused dogs are harder, too. I would suggest spending more time outside rather than just taking him out to potty train. You don't want him to think that the bad outside = pee. Allow him to get used to the outside and play, run, etc. with him. Slowly incorporate using the bathroom outside. If he becomes more familiar and okay with the outside, being able to link potty time and outside will not be a huge ordeal. Patience and time is key. Good luck! (06/22/2010)

By Jamminjenn

House Training an Abused Dog
House Training an Abused Dog
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
Training a Dog That Was Abused
🎄