Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Household Products for Removing Pet Odors

0 0EmailFollow
Pet Ferret

There are products you can buy especially made to remove pet odors, but you can also use household products, often as effectively. This is a guide about household products for removing pet odors.

Solutions: Household Products for Removing Pet Odors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use Vinegar And Apple Cider For Pet Odors

When animals soil the carpet, all you have to do from keeping them from soiling it again is use vinegar mixed with a bit of apple cider. Together, it eliminates the smell.

By Rachel from San Antonio, TX

Tip: Vodka For Pet Odors

When my three grandchildren came to live with me, they each had a kitten. The kittens grew up and started reproducing, all about the same time. Needless to say, one litter box per cat was not enough and there were numerous spots that the cats/kittens chose to potty. The smells were very strong and I tried numerous products to eliminate them and nothing seemed to work until, my son accidentally spilled a bottle of vodka on one of the 'potty" spots. The odor was gone.

I purchased a large bottle of vodka and put it in a spray bottle. When I came upon a potty spot, I immediately cleaned it with a mild detergent, rinsed, and then sprayed it with the vodka and the odor was gone. The vodka kills the bacteria that causes the odor. I don't know the difference between vodka and straight alcohol, but straight alcohol does not work. All the cats/kittens are gone now, but I still keep the spray bottle handy for other hard to remove odors.

By Patti from Clever, MO

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Household Products for Removing Pet Odors.

Question: Using Rid-X for Pet Odors

I have a rather odd question and I'm hoping someone out there can tell me yes or no, and if no, then why not. They say that using enzymes is the best way to get pet odors out of carpets. But the enzyme containing stuff they sell at the store is awfully expensive.

So here's what I'm thinking. What about using septic tank cleaner (generic Rid-X) instead? I pay $2.75 for the stuff I've been using for many years and it is all enzymes.

Would it be possible to use this on the carpet? Maybe sprinkle it on, then spritz it damp and vacuum it up when it's dry? If not, then why not? I know, sounds odd, but it would be a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa K03/10/2010

Try white vinegar it is said this should break down the crystals which are left behind after cleaning and leave the smell behind. The enzymes actually eat the crystals. You are supposed to saturate the area this is suggested to do with a fresh stain. I googled " enzymes cat urine". We had our carpets professionally cleaned we had one spot where our outside cat had gotten in and marked the wall.

The inside cat who had never urinated in the house all the years we had it continued to wet there all the time no matter how much we cleaned. We opted to pay $200 extra dollars to have the spot "professionally treated" they carried in a five gallon bucket 1/2 full with warm water and their "product" dumped it in the carpet and stepped on it repeatedly to get the fluid into the pad and back up, then sucked it out with their powerful vacuum.

This helped but far from perfect, the cat died a while latter and we had the carpet and some drywall replaced. But I didn't know about the vinegar I would have tried that in the beginning. I sounds like you leave it on and let it dry after blotting up all urine. For stains ammonia and rubbing alcohol are also mentioned as choices. Good luck!