Household Products for Removing Pet Odors

Category Odors
There are products you can buy especially made to remove pet odors, but you can also use household products, often as effectively. This is a guide about household products for removing pet odors.

Use vinegar and water to clean animal urine accidents from carpet. It will smell of vinegar only temporarily, but neutralize the pH level and discourage animals from having an accident there again.

Heather

Top Comment

Use caution and make sure you try a test area first. We ruined light gray carpet by using too much vinegar to water - ended up with a big pink spot in the middle of the floor. Other areas we'd done with less vinegar in the water were fine.

I have a Bissell Shampoo machine, bought especially because I had 2 older dogs, that once in a while peed on my carpet. To make a long story short, I tried everything everyone suggested and happened upon a good one. Someone here on Thrifty Fun suggested white vinegar and I tried it.

Remember you have to get through the pad or it won't do any good, so do small areas. Keep going over it until the liquid is all picked up. I put about l/4 cup of white vinegar to the gallon water container in shampooer, and put the regular shampoo in the dispenser on the shampooer. I let dry for at least 2 days then put dry baking soda on the spot, and left it there until the next time I vacuum.

This took the odor out and cleaned carpet, too. Hope it does as well for whoever tries it. Remember sometimes it takes 2 times to get to the floor below the carpet and the carpet pad. If you leave it too wet, it will sour, and you have another odor to contend with.

Sometimes now when one pees, I pour the vinegar water immediately on a spot. Then I just suck up all the liquid, and let dry. It is less work, and takes care of the problem.

Source: Thrifty Fun Hints

By gbk from south GA

Anonymous

Most of the smell in urine is due to ammonia, a highly alkaline substance. Vinegar is acidic and helps to neutralize this scent. Vinegar is less effective at eliminating bad smells from feces and vomit, but can supplement other odor removers. Vinegar and urine do not smell the same to a dog.

To remove dog/cat urine from carpets, use Masingill's Vinegar and Water Douche. Pour solution on the spot and with a towel using a circular motion (wrap towel around your fist, place fist on spot as if to punch and twist) continue doing this until liquid is dried up and the odor will be gone. My aunt had 5 pesky little wiener dogs who had weak bladders, her home never smelled bad.

By Teresa from Boulder City, NV

Its the vinegar in the douche that kills the odor. I just use vinegar and water.

When my three grandchildren came to live with me, they each had a kitten. The kittens grew up and started reproducing, all about the same time.

When animals soil the carpet, all you have to do from keeping them from soiling it again is use vinegar mixed with a bit of apple cider. Together, it eliminates the smell.

Dog Urinating Outdoors

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about homemade cleaners for pet urine odors. There are many commercial and homemade products you can use to remove pet urine odors from furniture and carpet. However, finding a solution to urine odors on other surfaces may be more elusive.

I have a rather odd question and I'm hoping someone out there can tell me yes or no, and if no, then why not. They say that using enzymes is the best way to get pet odors out of carpets. But the enzyme containing stuff they sell at the store is awfully expensive.

So here's what I'm thinking. What about using septic tank cleaner (generic Rid-X) instead? I pay $2.75 for the stuff I've been using for many years and it is all enzymes.

Would it be possible to use this on the carpet? Maybe sprinkle it on, then spritz it damp and vacuum it up when it's dry? If not, then why not? I know, sounds odd, but it would be a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Oh, I would not try the Rid-X; I suspect you would stain your carpet...and those enzymes are not necessarily the same ones that take care of odors; and they're in a base that makes it easy to flush them and has nothing to do with cleaning.

First of all, you need to determine the source of the odor. If the odor has gone through the carpet and pad and soaked into the wood below, you may not have much luck without renovation. (Pulling the carpet back and sealing the wood underneath.)

If it is pet urine that didn't soak through, you will need to neutralize that, in which case your best bet probably is the commercial stuff. If you can rent or borrow a steam cleaner, you can buy concentrated cleaners that you dilute, and they do a pretty good job and are not that expensive.

If it is just old, stale pet odor, I would suggest first sprinkling baking soda all over the carpet, leaving it for a day or longer, then vacuum well. You can also try borrowing a steam cleaner and using one of the concentrates with Febreeze.

I love experiments like that. Why not dissolve a bit in a quart of water and test in small area, marking off area with tape and wait several days for it to work.

Most powdered septic products like Rid X are mainly filler with very little enzyme and don't dissolve easily. RidX liquid is too dark blue.

We use liquid Ultrezyme or liquid Odorzyme that we get from the people www.heartlandlabs.com. It's not very expensive but it does the trick. You can spray it or pour it on, but we usually pour so there is enough to soak into the floor, etc. under the carpet because pee really penetrates and if you only remove the surface pee, the smell will come back.

Try white vinegar it is said this should break down the crystals which are left behind after cleaning and leave the smell behind. The enzymes actually eat the crystals. You are supposed to saturate the area this is suggested to do with a fresh stain. I googled " enzymes cat urine". We had our carpets professionally cleaned we had one spot where our outside cat had gotten in and marked the wall.

The inside cat who had never urinated in the house all the years we had it continued to wet there all the time no matter how much we cleaned. We opted to pay $200 extra dollars to have the spot "professionally treated" they carried in a five gallon bucket 1/2 full with warm water and their "product" dumped it in the carpet and stepped on it repeatedly to get the fluid into the pad and back up, then sucked it out with their powerful vacuum.

This helped but far from perfect, the cat died a while latter and we had the carpet and some drywall replaced. But I didn't know about the vinegar I would have tried that in the beginning. I sounds like you leave it on and let it dry after blotting up all urine. For stains ammonia and rubbing alcohol are also mentioned as choices. Good luck!