Household Products for Removing Pet Odors

There are products you can buy especially made to remove pet odors, but you can also use household products, often as effectively. This is a guide about household products for removing pet odors.

Pet Ferret
Filter Sort

Tip: Vodka For Pet Odors

By Patricia Pinkley 1

When my three grandchildren came to live with me, they each had a kitten. The kittens grew up and started reproducing, all about the same time. Needless to say, one litter box per cat was not enough and there were numerous spots that the cats/kittens chose to potty. The smells were very strong and I tried numerous products to eliminate them and nothing seemed to work until, my son accidentally spilled a bottle of vodka on one of the 'potty" spots. The odor was gone.

I purchased a large bottle of vodka and put it in a spray bottle. When I came upon a potty spot, I immediately cleaned it with a mild detergent, rinsed, and then sprayed it with the vodka and the odor was gone. The vodka kills the bacteria that causes the odor. I don't know the difference between vodka and straight alcohol, but straight alcohol does not work. All the cats/kittens are gone now, but I still keep the spray bottle handy for other hard to remove odors.

By Patti from Clever, MO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Rid-X for Pet Odors

By Cricket 205 896

I have a rather odd question and I'm hoping someone out there can tell me yes or no, and if no, then why not. They say that using enzymes is the best way to get pet odors out of carpets. But the enzyme containing stuff they sell at the store is awfully expensive.

So here's what I'm thinking. What about using septic tank cleaner (generic Rid-X) instead? I pay $2.75 for the stuff I've been using for many years and it is all enzymes.

Would it be possible to use this on the carpet? Maybe sprinkle it on, then spritz it damp and vacuum it up when it's dry? If not, then why not? I know, sounds odd, but it would be a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa K 17 Flag

Try white vinegar it is said this should break down the crystals which are left behind after cleaning and leave the smell behind. The enzymes actually eat the crystals. You are supposed to saturate the area this is suggested to do with a fresh stain. I googled " enzymes cat urine". We had our carpets professionally cleaned we had one spot where our outside cat had gotten in and marked the wall.

The inside cat who had never urinated in the house all the years we had it continued to wet there all the time no matter how much we cleaned. We opted to pay $200 extra dollars to have the spot "professionally treated" they carried in a five gallon bucket 1/2 full with warm water and their "product" dumped it in the carpet and stepped on it repeatedly to get the fluid into the pad and back up, then sucked it out with their powerful vacuum.

This helped but far from perfect, the cat died a while latter and we had the carpet and some drywall replaced. But I didn't know about the vinegar I would have tried that in the beginning. I sounds like you leave it on and let it dry after blotting up all urine. For stains ammonia and rubbing alcohol are also mentioned as choices. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Vinegar And Apple Cider For Pet Odors

When animals soil the carpet, all you have to do from keeping them from soiling it again is use vinegar mixed with a bit of apple cider. Together, it eliminates the smell.

By Rachel from San Antonio, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 14, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Dog on Laminate Flooring
Removing Pet Urine Stains and Odors from Laminate Flooring
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:18:54 AM on 10.0.2.55 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings