Household Products for Removing Pet Odors

There are products you can buy especially made to remove pet odors, but you can also use household products, often as effectively. This is a guide about household products for removing pet odors.

February 28, 2001 Flag

Use vinegar and water to clean animal urine accidents from carpet. It will smell of vinegar only temporarily, but neutralize the pH level and discourage animals from having an accident there again.

Heather

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

The thicker your cushions are, the longer it will take them to dry. Are you able to let them sit outdoors? What I do is set them out on a chaise lounge and let them dry by solar power; keep an eye on it turning the cushion every 20-30 min; if i'm concerned the sun will bleach out its color, then I place a light cloth atop the cushion/pillow to shield it. The sun will also sanitize it.

If you can't dry them outdoors, use a clothes dryer on it's lowest setting for longer than you'd normally dry things; only time and experience will teach you how long to keep them in there. Start w/ 10 min. then check on it in intervals until its dry.

Years ago, my ferrel cat peed on the sofa (he must have thought he was hiding it, ha ha). Onto the sofa mattress was poured a whole bottle of pet odor erasure b/c it was a big 'n deep deposit. Without solar power it took weeks for it to dry... in the mean time we sat on other things. THEN, a plastic mattress-like cover was placed over the couch then a washable cover was placed atop this so any future 'spills' would create less damage :o)

Top Comment

My daughters cat urinated on her marble fireplace slab. She poured hydrogen peroxide on the damaged areas.Let liguid seep into marble until areas are like it was never damaged. It worked for us, Give it a try. Good Luck.

Read More Comments...
Top Comment

Use caution and make sure you try a test area first. We ruined light gray carpet by using too much vinegar to water - ended up with a big pink spot in the middle of the floor. Other areas we'd done with less vinegar in the water were fine.

Read More Comments...
Top Comment

Get a good Rug Doctor for carpets to lift dog or cat urine out. Urinating on clothing, rugs, blankets: rinse the urine off, then wash on hot cycle and use a little fabuloso or other. Smell the piece or pieces after washing and drying. If you can still smell the urine, wash it again till gone.

Cat spraying. This means you have too many cats & they're marking. It is hard to stop this. Cover everything with plastic. Remember some cats are attracted to urinating on plastic bags and other types.

Males hiking leg in house. Catch them in the act and get them outside. Cover where he's urinating with plastic to protect fabrics.

Read More Comments...

August 18, 2011 Flag

I have a Bissell Shampoo machine, bought especially because I had 2 older dogs, that once in a while peed on my carpet. To make a long story short, I tried everything everyone suggested and happened upon a good one.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 4, 2007 Flag

When my three grandchildren came to live with me, they each had a kitten. The kittens grew up and started reproducing, all about the same time.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 12, 2007 Flag

When animals soil the carpet, all you have to do from keeping them from soiling it again is use vinegar mixed with a bit of apple cider. Together, it eliminates the smell.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2008 Flag

To remove dog/cat urine from carpets, use Masingill's Vinegar and Water Douche. Pour solution on the spot and with a towel using a circular motion..

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about homemade cleaners for pet urine odors. There are many commercial and homemade products you can use to remove pet urine odors from furniture and carpet. However, finding a solution to urine odors on other surfaces may be more elusive.

Dog Urinating Outdoors

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2010 Flag

I have a rather odd question and I'm hoping someone out there can tell me yes or no, and if no, then why not. They say that using enzymes is the best way to get pet odors out of carpets. But the enzyme containing stuff they sell at the store is awfully expensive.

So here's what I'm thinking. What about using septic tank cleaner (generic Rid-X) instead? I pay $2.75 for the stuff I've been using for many years and it is all enzymes.

Would it be possible to use this on the carpet? Maybe sprinkle it on, then spritz it damp and vacuum it up when it's dry? If not, then why not? I know, sounds odd, but it would be a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh, I would not try the Rid-X; I suspect you would stain your carpet...and those enzymes are not necessarily the same ones that take care of odors; and they're in a base that makes it easy to flush them and has nothing to do with cleaning.

First of all, you need to determine the source of the odor. If the odor has gone through the carpet and pad and soaked into the wood below, you may not have much luck without renovation. (Pulling the carpet back and sealing the wood underneath.)

If it is pet urine that didn't soak through, you will need to neutralize that, in which case your best bet probably is the commercial stuff. If you can rent or borrow a steam cleaner, you can buy concentrated cleaners that you dilute, and they do a pretty good job and are not that expensive.

If it is just old, stale pet odor, I would suggest first sprinkling baking soda all over the carpet, leaving it for a day or longer, then vacuum well. You can also try borrowing a steam cleaner and using one of the concentrates with Febreeze.

I love experiments like that. Why not dissolve a bit in a quart of water and test in small area, marking off area with tape and wait several days for it to work.

Most powdered septic products like Rid X are mainly filler with very little enzyme and don't dissolve easily. RidX liquid is too dark blue.

We use liquid Ultrezyme or liquid Odorzyme that we get from the people www.heartlandlabs.com. It's not very expensive but it does the trick. You can spray it or pour it on, but we usually pour so there is enough to soak into the floor, etc. under the carpet because pee really penetrates and if you only remove the surface pee, the smell will come back.

Try white vinegar it is said this should break down the crystals which are left behind after cleaning and leave the smell behind. The enzymes actually eat the crystals. You are supposed to saturate the area this is suggested to do with a fresh stain. I googled " enzymes cat urine". We had our carpets professionally cleaned we had one spot where our outside cat had gotten in and marked the wall.

The inside cat who had never urinated in the house all the years we had it continued to wet there all the time no matter how much we cleaned. We opted to pay $200 extra dollars to have the spot "professionally treated" they carried in a five gallon bucket 1/2 full with warm water and their "product" dumped it in the carpet and stepped on it repeatedly to get the fluid into the pad and back up, then sucked it out with their powerful vacuum.

This helped but far from perfect, the cat died a while latter and we had the carpet and some drywall replaced. But I didn't know about the vinegar I would have tried that in the beginning. I sounds like you leave it on and let it dry after blotting up all urine. For stains ammonia and rubbing alcohol are also mentioned as choices. Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 14, 2012
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Odor in a Room
Removing Odors in a Room
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
🎉
🎄