Household Products for Removing Pet Odors

Category Odors
Pet Ferret
There are products you can buy especially made to remove pet odors, but you can also use household products, often as effectively. This is a guide about household products for removing pet odors.

Use vinegar and water to clean animal urine accidents from carpet. It will smell of vinegar only temporarily, but neutralize the pH level and discourage animals from having an accident there again.

Heather

Top Comment

The thicker your cushions are, the longer it will take them to dry. Are you able to let them sit outdoors? What I do is set them out on a chaise lounge and let them dry by solar power; keep an eye on it turning the cushion every 20-30 min; if i'm concerned the sun will bleach out its color, then I place a light cloth atop the cushion/pillow to shield it. The sun will also sanitize it.

If you can't dry them outdoors, use a clothes dryer on it's lowest setting for longer than you'd normally dry things; only time and experience will teach you how long to keep them in there. Start w/ 10 min. then check on it in intervals until its dry.

Years ago, my ferrel cat peed on the sofa (he must have thought he was hiding it, ha ha). Onto the sofa mattress was poured a whole bottle of pet odor erasure b/c it was a big 'n deep deposit. Without solar power it took weeks for it to dry... in the mean time we sat on other things. THEN, a plastic mattress-like cover was placed over the couch then a washable cover was placed atop this so any future 'spills' would create less damage :o)

Top Comment

My daughters cat urinated on her marble fireplace slab. She poured hydrogen peroxide on the damaged areas.Let liguid seep into marble until areas are like it was never damaged. It worked for us, Give it a try. Good Luck.

Top Comment

Use caution and make sure you try a test area first. We ruined light gray carpet by using too much vinegar to water - ended up with a big pink spot in the middle of the floor. Other areas we'd done with less vinegar in the water were fine.

Top Comment

Get a good Rug Doctor for carpets to lift dog or cat urine out. Urinating on clothing, rugs, blankets: rinse the urine off, then wash on hot cycle and use a little fabuloso or other. Smell the piece or pieces after washing and drying. If you can still smell the urine, wash it again till gone.

Cat spraying. This means you have too many cats & they're marking. It is hard to stop this. Cover everything with plastic. Remember some cats are attracted to urinating on plastic bags and other types.

Males hiking leg in house. Catch them in the act and get them outside. Cover where he's urinating with plastic to protect fabrics.

I have a Bissell Shampoo machine, bought especially because I had 2 older dogs, that once in a while peed on my carpet. To make a long story short, I tried everything everyone suggested and happened upon a good one. Someone here on Thrifty Fun suggested white vinegar and I tried it.

Remember you have to get through the pad or it won't do any good, so do small areas. Keep going over it until the liquid is all picked up. I put about l/4 cup of white vinegar to the gallon water container in shampooer, and put the regular shampoo in the dispenser on the shampooer. I let dry for at least 2 days then put dry baking soda on the spot, and left it there until the next time I vacuum.

This took the odor out and cleaned carpet, too. Hope it does as well for whoever tries it. Remember sometimes it takes 2 times to get to the floor below the carpet and the carpet pad. If you leave it too wet, it will sour, and you have another odor to contend with.

Sometimes now when one pees, I pour the vinegar water immediately on a spot. Then I just suck up all the liquid, and let dry. It is less work, and takes care of the problem.

Source: Thrifty Fun Hints

By gbk from south GA

Read 2 Comments

To remove dog/cat urine from carpets, use Masingill's Vinegar and Water Douche. Pour solution on the spot and with a towel using a circular motion..

When my three grandchildren came to live with me, they each had a kitten. The kittens grew up and started reproducing, all about the same time.

When animals soil the carpet, all you have to do from keeping them from soiling it again is use vinegar mixed with a bit of apple cider. Together, it eliminates the smell.

This is a guide about homemade cleaners for pet urine odors. There are many commercial and homemade products you can use to remove pet urine odors from furniture and carpet. However, finding a solution to urine odors on other surfaces may be more elusive.

Dog Urinating Outdoors

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a rather odd question and I'm hoping someone out there can tell me yes or no, and if no, then why not. They say that using enzymes is the best way to get pet odors out of carpets. But the enzyme containing stuff they sell at the store is awfully expensive.

So here's what I'm thinking. What about using septic tank cleaner (generic Rid-X) instead? I pay $2.75 for the stuff I've been using for many years and it is all enzymes.

Would it be possible to use this on the carpet? Maybe sprinkle it on, then spritz it damp and vacuum it up when it's dry? If not, then why not? I know, sounds odd, but it would be a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Most powdered septic products like Rid X are mainly filler with very little enzyme and don't dissolve easily. RidX liquid is too dark blue.

We use liquid Ultrezyme or liquid Odorzyme that we get from the people www.heartlandlabs.com. It's not very expensive but it does the trick. You can spray it or pour it on, but we usually pour so there is enough to soak into the floor, etc. under the carpet because pee really penetrates and if you only remove the surface pee, the smell will come back.

Try white vinegar it is said this should break down the crystals which are left behind after cleaning and leave the smell behind. The enzymes actually eat the crystals. You are supposed to saturate the area this is suggested to do with a fresh stain. I googled " enzymes cat urine". We had our carpets professionally cleaned we had one spot where our outside cat had gotten in and marked the wall.

The inside cat who had never urinated in the house all the years we had it continued to wet there all the time no matter how much we cleaned. We opted to pay $200 extra dollars to have the spot "professionally treated" they carried in a five gallon bucket 1/2 full with warm water and their "product" dumped it in the carpet and stepped on it repeatedly to get the fluid into the pad and back up, then sucked it out with their powerful vacuum.

This helped but far from perfect, the cat died a while latter and we had the carpet and some drywall replaced. But I didn't know about the vinegar I would have tried that in the beginning. I sounds like you leave it on and let it dry after blotting up all urine. For stains ammonia and rubbing alcohol are also mentioned as choices. Good luck!