Hydrangeas Leaves Turning Brown

By Ellen Brown

I got a hydrangea last summer. I have worked with the soil so that it changed to blue. The leaves are turning brown. Am I watering it too much or not enough?

Brenda from South Bend, IN

You're probably watering too little. Hydrangeas like a lot of water (the prefix hydro is Greek for water). Sometimes the tips or sides of a hydrangea's leaves will appear brown. This usually happens after it has suffered a dry spell or when it goes through a period where, for whatever reason, the roots were not absorbing moisture well and then the plant suddenly gets a good watering. When cells in the leave's tips suddenly take on water, they literally swell up and burst. What you're seeing with the brown tips is actually dead plant tissue where the cells burst. This kind of browning can also happen to plants when they are initially transplanted and are suddenly given a heavy dose of water. Keeping your hydrangea consistently watered will prevent this from happening. In general, over watering is usually followed by yellowing leaves that turn black at the edges. When under watered, leaves will droop and then turn brown.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I have the same problem with Brenda.

We have very hot summer here in Niagara Falls On. So, I water my hyrangea everyday so I don't think watering is the problem.

Also I have different kinds of hydrangeas but only these endless summer that I treated leaves turning brown. Help! Ley

Hydrangeas Leaves Turning Brown
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown