Identifying a Black Snake

Can someone help me identify a snake? I tried to get the camera in time but it was gone. I live in Missouri (St. Louis) and the rain has been ongoing here for some time. I live in a town home with woods and a park-like setting. I was out on my front porch at night, and saw this thick, black snake at least 3 feet long. It turned its head and I saw it open its mouth and it was white. I researched this snake online and it said it was a Cottonmouth, but people tell me no way. It was about 2 inches thick.

Jenny from Saint Louis, MO

Answers:

Help Identifying Black Snake

Ask your local county extension office
http://extension.missouri.edu/regions/ (04/29/2008)

By Anon

Identifying a Black Snake

Yes, you did see a Cottonmouth. I'm from Texas and have seen a gazillion of them. Try to stay away from snakes this time of year, as they are coming out of hibernation and can get a little ornery (I would be pretty ticked too, if I woke up and hadn't eaten much for months.) Cottonmouths are venomous, and can really pack a punch. Be careful of wha's in your yard, and don't reach into anything like wood piles where snakes love to hide. (05/05/2008)

By KBlueyes

Identifying a Black Snake

Yes, it's a cottonmouth, named for the white coloration on the inside of its mouth. These are venomous, and dangerous, because if someone accidentally steps on one of them, the snake will bite in self-defense. Call your local animal control to have them remove the snake safely. (06/14/2008)

By Thrifty gal

Identifying a Black Snake
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Black Pine Snake
Identifying Black Snakes
🎉
🎄