What Kind of Snake is This?

Category Snakes
copperhead snake
Trying to identify a snake seen in your garden or on a camping trip can be difficult. This is a guide about "what kind of snake is this?".

My hubby found this snake mowing lawns, at work. We are in South Carolina. I'd like to keep it, but not if it is poisonous.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Surprise, surprise, that is NOT a snake! You have found a glass lizard. A legless lizard, but not a snake. He can blink, he has ear holes. His tail, if grabbed, will fall off and shatter. Here's a link: http://srelherp  zards/ophven.htm

What kind of snake is this? Photo taken this morning.

By JR

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I think it resembles the worm snake. I used to play with them all the time when I was a child.

Here is a video link that will work to show you what a worm snake looks like:

http://www.yout  ch?v=hyLd4kTye1g

Blessings,

Robyn

What kind of snake is solid black with white stripes about an inch apart? It was roughly about 3 to 4 feet in length and about an inch in diameter, fast, and very aggressive.

By Rick

Answer Was this helpful? 1

It may be a eastern king snake, non-poisonous.

Frank

I do remember he is a good guy. Goes after rattlers. Was it a king? Don't quote me. Main thing, do not hurt him.

http://www.blur  com/q865770.html This should help you out. He is harmless and just likes to be left alone. King Snake..great to have around if you don't want rattlers, same with Bull Snakes.

Kingsnake or Garter/Ribbon Snake, depending on whether the stripes run across the body(king) or down the body(garter).

What kind of snake is this? I am in Madisonville, Louisiana.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found this snake in our garden shed and I don't want to kill it if it's not dangerous. It looks bigger than it is; it's just a baby. Please let me know. I Googled Arkansas snakes and there are hundreds of pictures, but none match this one!

By Linda W. F

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try your state extension office, you may be able to email the picture to the agricultural agent for identification:

http://www.uaex  unty_offices.htm

The banding on that snake is very interesting. I was taught the way to identify a poisonous snake was two-fold: triangular head and colours:

"Red touches yellow- kill the fellow! Red touches black - happy Jack"

Meaning if the red banding bordered yellow banding the snake was poisonous and the advice was to kill him before he bit and killed you.

(Not saying I agree with this, btw, because snakes are beneficial-they eat rodents before the rodents can eat your electrical wiring or other important things; if at all possible it's best to let snakes live since they are helping keep your property pest population down)

If the red banding touched the black banding, Jack (you or whomever was deciding if the snake is dangerous) could be happy and let the snake go on it's way.

But that is one unusual looking and coloured snake! It even looks as though it has a rattle at the end, but it sure doesn't look like any of the rattlers I grew up seeing in the American desert southwest.

I'd check with the agricultural agent to be sure, and to get some good free advice on figuring out what attracted that snake to your property.

Deleted for duplication. Sigh:)

We found this snake in our back yard yesterday. Our neighbor thinks it is a moccasin. It is red and black striped with a whitish belly. The head does have black lines from the eyes to lips and the head is a diamond shape. We live in Tampa Florida and there is a conservation area out back.

By Tara

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Today I saw a snake just in front of the door of my terrace. Does anyone know the type? Is it dangerous? It was beautifully colored bronze and so attractive that for a moment I was thinking to catch it!

By Hossein

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found about 5 so far, coiled up, but know they are a little aggressive. They are about 6 - 12 inches long.

By David J.

Can some one tell me what kind of snake this is?
It's about 13 inches long.

By Mark

Water Moccasin?

My father-in-law found this snake in his garden this morning. We are wondering what it is? I am researching but no success yet, any ideas? I have other pictures with its markings. Thank you.

By HICKCHIC3 from SC

it's hard to say, looks like a ground rattler maybe. Careful though it appears to have a diamond shaped head which is a good indicator of poison

It helps to identify the region where the snake was found. The photo was too low resolution to make a positive i.d., but I think one of these may be your snake --- good news, if so, because they are both non-poisonous. My bet is on the "rat snake" Your snake clearly lacks rattles, so is not a rattler.

http://www.kent  option=patterned

http://www.kent  =backyard_snakes

This looks like a Water Moccasin or Cottonmouth, but it is actually a non-venomous species known as the Diamondback Water snake. They have evolved to resemble poisonous snakes so other, bigger predators will leave them alone. However, they are still very nasty, and when provoked, will take a hunk of flesh.

Notice how he arches his neck when provoked, and how the head itself is "diamond" shaped, closely resembling that of a viper. This is a much calmer Ribbon Snake. This one has green stripes, but they come in many different colors.

Debbie

Columbia, SC

From the picture, I can not make a definate determination. Here are a couple of links to snake pictures. Since you or your father-in-law saw it close enough to take the picture, you would be the only ones that could definately determine.

http://www.snak  akes/scsnake.htm

http://www.uga.  snakes/index.htm

I keep the second one handy as we live in the NE GA area and are surrounded by water and forest.

I hope this helps you. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Looks like the very rare but much feared rattleheaded copper moccasin to me.

I agree with the post about the head shape. I was always taught that the diamond shaped head of a snake means that it is poisonous. How worrisome!

I need to know what kind of snake is this? It was out side our house. I live in southwest Houston, TX. Is this poisonous?

I have heard people talk about a bull snake and was wondering what it is. It is from Florida.

I live in Massachusetts. What kind of snake is this?

I found this snake in the Dominican Republic a couple of years ago in July/August. I've been wondering what kind of snake it is ever since. Could anybody help? I don't have a better picture unfortunately.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My daughter lives in Eastpoint, GA and last night she found a snake on her porch. Can someone tell me what kind of snake this is? Thank you so much.

By Doris from Inkster, MI

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The picture is very dark and the snake isn't readily visible. Can you crop it and lighten it and re-add?

Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is? I am sorry the pic is a little blurry.

By John from Plant C, FL

It is a type of rat snake. Google images Texas rat snake and you will probably see it.

Lar

Or maybe a corn snake?

http://www.caro  s/cornsnake.html

I believe that this is a Florida Pine Snake, non venomous. Just google it...snakes of Florida, and it will be near the bottom of the page.

Terry

What kind of snake is this?

A little help to identify this snake please. It was in the drawer in my shop and concerns me about the safety of others who frequently use the shop and drawers. Thanks for any help.

I found this fellow in my garden this morning, any idea what it is?

By Jon T.

There is a snake in my pool. It's about 2 and a half to 3 feet long, he's swimming with his head staying above the water and he's black with kind of a grayish/white diamond pattern. Any ideas what snake this is?

By Shannon

Where do you live? Assuming you are in the northern US, it sounds like a harmless black snake or water snake. He may not be able to get out on his own, you might want to use your long-handled skimmer to lift him out. (Northern) water snakes are ill-tempered, and will bite if provoked, but are not poisonous.

If you are in the southern US, or another country, you should look online. In the southern US, there are poisonous black-colored snakes that swim. If you are unsure, don't mess with it until you get someone to check it.

Post a photo, if you can, and people can be more specific.

Does anyone know what type of snake resembles a garter, but is the color of a dull penny all over its body? It has no patterns. Thanks for all info!

By Trudy from in the woods, PA

Google snakes my area and put your local. This should get you the types in your area but I think it is a rat snake and eats small mice, rats, roaches and bugs probably a young one, not poison.Though it might scare you to death sometimes but leave him and he will stay out of your way.

Pa. Copper heads? They are poisonous.

Garter snakes are striped; is this one completely solid, but copper brown? Around here, we call those "grass snakes" if they are a coppery brown with absolutely no markings (stripes, mottling, spots) on top. Do you mean that by being like a garter snake, it's long and thin and sleek rather than short, fat, chunky, triangular headed? You might consider the Northern Red Belly. There are some good photos on google if you search there - they look different in different circumstances. Around here, we have what we colloquially call a "grass snake" that is the color of an old penny with no real pattern (unless you look very very close, like within a foot or so - which most people aren't willing to do).

If you're concerned about whether or not it is dangerous, here are some hints. Pit-vipers (what we call poisonous snakes in the states) have very triangular heads, their 'jaw points" usually easily distinguishable from their neck. Non-poisonous can be either smoothly joined into the body, or a slight difference, but not like a big triangle at the end of a rop. Pit vipers also have pits on the side of their face between their nostril and eyes - but again, who gets that close? Also, non-poisonous snakes will ALWAYS have round pupils; pit vipers have slits. This is the easiest way for me to tell the difference. The reason is that sometimes non-poisonous snakes will distend their head and body to appear triangular like pit-vipers. It's their defence mechanism.

Most nonpoisonous snakes have a very vital role in keeping pests at bay, and unless this is a baby copperhead (which has a triangular head - you might google those), I suspect it's non-poisonous. But better safe than sorry!! Usually your local reptile stores are helpful in telling what snake you have, too.

What kind of snake is this?

By Red

Looks like a black rat snake. It's hard to tell because the photo is at such a distance. If it is a rat snake, they are very beneficial to have around! They are also non-poisonous.

I agree; not close enough to really tell but it looks like a black snake. If you have a shed with access to under the floor let him go under there and snake and mice will be no more.

Just in case it might help I tried to cropped and blew up your picture. It's kind of grainy but but might show a bit more detail. Well it doesn't look like the picture will get posted it's new size.

I've been told it's either a corn snake or a black racer. I don't think it's a black racer and it seems very nippy for a corn snake.

I found this baby snake in my kitchen. Any ideas what kind of snake this is? I carefully put him into a box and released him into the wild.

Is it poisonous?

What snake is this? I need your help.

I found this snake in my backyard - it looks about 5 feet long. Do you know what kind of snake it is?

Load More