Jigsaw Puzzle Tips and Tricks

Whatever your plans are for your completed puzzle, they usually take up some space and time before they are finished. This guide contains jigsaw puzzle tips and tricks.

July 16, 2015 Flag

Take a picture of the puzzle while it is whole on the cardboard. This way, you'll be able to look at it to help you.

This doesn't make sense to me. If you already completed the puzzle, why do need to take a picture of it "to help you"? Besides, the picture is on the cover of the box. This would make sense if there is no box; then the photo would help the next person who does the puzzle after it was taken apart again.

To Pixidust, I believe the post is about the small puzzles that come in a cardboard frame. They usually don't have a picture "with". Kids look at the puzzle, dump the pieces, and then fit them together, usually with little difficulty. I know some little kids who are so good at these puzzles that they can put them together backwards -- that is, by looking at the blank cardboard side!! I'm not sure if they need to reference the picture. There are usually less than 20 pieces, more often 12 -16.

Louis B...this happens a lot on here. People who misunderstand the post often crit on it.

I don't do puzzles. I'm not familiar with the different types. I understand Pixiedust7 being confused. I was perplexed, too.

louise B was kind enough to offer her explanation which helped me (and probably Pixiedust7) see lnygaard's post as it was intended.

All is well for those willing to see that it is.

March 12, 2015 Flag

My daughter loves puzzles. I usually pick one up each time I go to the dollar store. In order to keep the puzzle pieces together, I mark the backs with different shapes. I mark each piece to a puzzle with it's own distinct marking.

A drawing on the back of each piece in a puzzle

June 8, 2009 Flag

Empty cardboard pizza boxes make great storage for a jigsaw puzzle in progress. They can easily save a long evenings work without taking up table space. Can be slid under a couch or bed until there is time to again tackle the puzzle.

June 5, 2012 Flag

As you may already know, the first thing you do when putting together a jigsaw puzzle is to go through and sort out all the flat border pieces by putting them in a separate box.

January 20, 2015 Flag

We just assembled a 9000 piece puzzle (140x190cm) and are wondering how to protect it. We put it into 4 pieces and will glue it on a foamboard (Alufix) and frame it. I would prefer not putting on protective glass because of its weight. I was thinking of some sort of liquid plastification. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

By Igor S

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mod Podge! It's an all-in-one glue, sealer and finish with easy clean-up! I've used it for puzzles, sealing pictures on wood, etc. Available at Walmart, Michaels, and Jo Ann's.

I agree that Mod-podge is the product to use. Go to a local craft store or even a dollar store; they will likely have this product. Some craft stores sell a product for preserving puzzles, that is likely the same as Mod-podge, but under a different name. Just ask at those sorts of stores.

Wow, 9000 pieces! That is really an accomplishment! My mother seals all her puzzles with Mod Podge to save them. She then mounts them to a thin sheet of paneling or plywood which my father custom cuts for her (she does "shaped" puzzles). I don't know how a puzzle would turn out that isn't mounted on a board or something to keep it flat. The Mod Podge makes an attractive finish and her puzzles have looked great for many years.

I have tried Mod Podge & you can see where glue has been applied. I have used Ravensberger glue & after 4 coats it still hadn't glued the puzzles properly. I was not happy with either (expensive) result. I was REALLY happy with just spraying a clear lacquer over a puzzle I did almost 20yrs ago & still looks good (2 coats) this would work perfectly since you are sticking it to the foam backing. Good Luck. What is the picture of, by the way?

July 10, 2007 Flag

Toddlers love to play with puzzles and of course they will always mix the pieces in the same box. I have a three year old boy that just started with the 24 pieces and he will put the pieces together and want someone to sort the puzzle.

September 5, 2007 Flag

My daughter has TONS of puzzles and at the end of the day, it'd take me a half hour to find all of the pieces. So I attached small Velcro circles onto the back of every piece along with their matching space on the puzzle board.

February 11, 2009 Flag

I have trouble opening puzzle boxes neatly. Jigsaw puzzles come in boxes which are sealed under on all four sides. After I open it the ends are jagged and the box is not neat on the bottom anymore. Does anybody have tips for opening the seal of jigsaw puzzle boxes?

Lakshmi

Letter opener.

I use one of those razor cutters that they sell in the stationary depts of stores. They have a blade that can be broken off when the front edge gets dull & a clicker on the handle that clicks & locks. You click out less than 1/8 inch on the blade tip. Go slowly & only cut the paper around the edge. These cutters are handy for so many things. I keep one on my coffee table to open boxes of things that UPS delivers.

I use a sraight edge razor to open up the boxes. ~Janette~

I do not care how the box gets open as long as the pix stays intact. Then I cut out the pix and tape it onto a plastic type of storage box.

** this will save you on trying to keep the cheap cardboard box from breaking down eventually.

** it is also waterproof in case of water damage, then I recycle the cheap cardboard box.

February 19, 2014 Flag

I just did a 1000 piece puzzle on a roll up mat. How do I get it off the mat to my board to frame it?

By Lois K.

I did this with a puzzle that I made for my granddaughter. Go to a hobby store and get some mod-podge. It's a type of glue. Brush it all over the top of your puzzle and it not only glues the pieces together, it gives the puzzle a nice, protective shine. If you don't want to spend the money on mod-podge, you can also do this with Elmer's Glue or any kind of white glue that dries clear. Just mix it with water to thin it out and brush over the puzzle.

Entertainment GamesJune 17, 2012
A woman working on a puzzle.
Making a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat
jigsaw puzzle
Making a Puzzle Storage Board
Making a Puzzle Board
Making a Puzzle Board
🎉
🎄