Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

I am making a desert called "Easy Southern Banana Pudding". My question is: How to keep the bananas from turning black?

Patricia

Answers:

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Dip them in lemon juice. (09/03/2005)

By Annette

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

My grandmother, mother, and I have made hundreds of banana puddings over the years. We have never done a single thing to the bananas to keep them from turning black, and they never have! Either dumb luck or something in the pudding keeps them looking good til it's eaten up (which is never long). I never even considered the question though. The way we made the pudding, the bananas were totally covered by pudding so maybe no air could get to them and make them oxidize. Susan (09/03/2005)

By Susan

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Try making it the same day it is eaten. (09/04/2005)

By snigdibbly

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Dip them in pineapple juice. It tastes great too! (09/04/2005)

By CD

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

I've heard that if you dip fresh cut slices of apple in 7Up that it will keep them from turning dark, maybe this will work on banana slices, too?

Also, if it were me making the banana dessert to take somewhere, like for a potluck, or to a pal's home, etc. I'd make sure to use nice yellow bananas. I would not use ones either starting to spot or already spotted, as the yellow bananas will stay fresh longer, and not turn dark for several days. The spotted or already spotted will turn dark faster. (09/05/2005)

By badwater

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Run the banana under hot water for a couple of minutes before peeling the banana and slicing it. This may sound strange but it works. (07/13/2006)

By Carol

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

The recipe is inside of the box of Nilla wafers. Also add cut strawberries when you are doing the layers and it is amazing. (05/31/2008)

By Erin

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

When using in pudding or a pie, let the pudding cool for 2 hours in the refrigerator, then add the bananas. They will not turn black. It's the heat from the puddings that advance the ripening. (01/08/2009)

By Kathy

Keeping Bananas from Turning Black
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
🎉
🎄