Keeping Bananas from Turning Black

Category Fruit
Sometimes, bananas can ripen too fast, with the yellow skins turning spotted then dark. This guide has tips for keeping bananas from turning black.

How do you keep bananas from turning dark?

By Jean from Saxe, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Try those green bags from Debbie Mayer they are 10. dollars here but they work great. I sometimes forget what is in the fridge and when I buy my fruits and veggies they keep really good.

Best Answer

Are you talking about AFTER you peel them?
If you dip them in a citrus (orange, lemon, or grapefruit) juice or pineapple juice after they are cut they will not turn black.

Best Answer

Regular plastic bags also work well for keeping the bananas from turning brown. Just tie the bag and leave on the counter.

Why do bananas turn black and how can we stop it from turning black?

Which place can we put the bananas to keep it from turning black the longest?

By Isabella S.

Answers

I can't really explain the "why" they turn black. I would guess that is a banana's first steps in the rotting process.

As for preventing that I don't think you can but you can slow it down. At least we do. We put the bananas in two bags. One white (or clear) and one brown or gray (depends on where we shop that week). We keep these in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator.

I have never understood how this works. My mother has been doing this for years and it definitely slows down the "browning" process. Not by a whole lot but enough that we can get the bananas eaten before the last one has gone completely black.

I keep bananas in the refrigerator because even though that makes the skins go black faster it also makes the actual fruit stay good even longer.

I am making a desert called "Easy Southern Banana Pudding". My question is: How to keep the bananas from turning black?

Patricia

Answers:

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Dip them in lemon juice. (09/03/2005)

By Annette

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

My grandmother, mother, and I have made hundreds of banana puddings over the years. We have never done a single thing to the bananas to keep them from turning black, and they never have! Either dumb luck or something in the pudding keeps them looking good til it's eaten up (which is never long). I never even considered the question though. The way we made the pudding, the bananas were totally covered by pudding so maybe no air could get to them and make them oxidize. Susan (09/03/2005)

By Susan

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Try making it the same day it is eaten. (09/04/2005)

By snigdibbly

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Dip them in pineapple juice. It tastes great too! (09/04/2005)

By CD

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

I've heard that if you dip fresh cut slices of apple in 7Up that it will keep them from turning dark, maybe this will work on banana slices, too?

Also, if it were me making the banana dessert to take somewhere, like for a potluck, or to a pal's home, etc. I'd make sure to use nice yellow bananas. I would not use ones either starting to spot or already spotted, as the yellow bananas will stay fresh longer, and not turn dark for several days. The spotted or already spotted will turn dark faster. (09/05/2005)

By badwater

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

Run the banana under hot water for a couple of minutes before peeling the banana and slicing it. This may sound strange but it works. (07/13/2006)

By Carol

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

The recipe is inside of the box of Nilla wafers. Also add cut strawberries when you are doing the layers and it is amazing. (05/31/2008)

By Erin

Keeping Bananas From Turning Black

When using in pudding or a pie, let the pudding cool for 2 hours in the refrigerator, then add the bananas. They will not turn black. It's the heat from the puddings that advance the ripening. (01/08/2009)

By Kathy