Keeping Cats Out of the Garden

How can you keep cats out of the garden?

By Dorothy M. from Derwood, MD

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of the Garden

I've heard that cayenne pepper works. I think it has to be reapplied periodically, especially after it rains. It is not as expensive if you buy it in the bulk section. Rocks can help too, since it isn't "dig friendly" for cats.
The catnip mentioned below is a good idea. My neighbor cats go straight for that. (10/26/2009)

By DavidBH

Keeping Cats Out of the Garden

I've posted this before. You mix, all dry ingredients. 1 part ground red pepper, 1 part black pepper, 1part that chunky ground pepper they sprinkle on pizza, then add about 1/3 cup dry hot mustard. This usually makes about 3 cups. Then put in an old shaker bottle. Sprinkle around plants and on top of walls and fences. It works amazingly well. I water really well and do it. I usually have to redo it every few months. They get use to the peppers being around and don't bother it for awhile.

Don't feel bad and tell your neighbors that when you garden where cats and dogs have used your yard as a toilet, you can get parasites from them. It's a health hazard. I've been treated 2x and it's not fun. You should never have to deal with someone else's pet wastes.

I usually warn them if they don't do something about it, what I put down will not be fun for them. It doesn't hurt them, but it does give them something to think and sneeze about. They have very sensitive noses and can smell it from a distance. I have people who use my yard and parkway as their personal toilet for their dogs and it is so unfair. I shouldn't have to clean up and repair or replace my grass or plants because they behave as if it's their right to ruin my personal property because they are too lazy and irresponsible to respect others rights. (10/29/2009)

By c t

A cat sitting in a garden bed.
Keeping Cats Out of the Garden
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
🎉
🎄