Keeping Cats out of the Garden

I'm sure you've been asked this question a hundred times already... but here goes anyhow. First off, I live in a duplex with a fenced-in back yard. I am fortunate in the fact that I have some space in which to garden for veggies and have a nice flower patch along with a few rose bushes.

My problem is my neighbor's CATS. Don't get me wrong, I do love cats, just not in my back yard. I have an old dog but would not want to use anything that would either hurt my dog or the cats. I just want to be able to get them out of my yard and keep them out (except for Bogie, of course). Other than spraying them with the water hose when I see them, do you have any other suggestions that would be workable in keeping the cats out of my yard?

Thank you and God bless...
Mary from Redding, CA

Keeping Cats out of the Garden 04/21/2006
I have kept cats out of my garden by using lemon, grapefruit and orange peels and black or crushed red peppers. I put these around areas that I don't want animals to get into.
By Kmcl59
Keeping Cats out of the Garden 04/24/2006
We have tried putting plastic forks in the ground around the flowers. Handle side in. When they step on them....they don't like it! It won't keep them out of your whole yard, but it will keep them out of flowerbeds. You could also try wooden skewers. Good luck!
By jillian357

A cat sitting in a garden bed.
Keeping Cats Out of the Garden
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal