Keeping Dog from Getting Parvo

My friend, that I live with, mom's 12 week old puppy got parvo. I got a puppy two days before her dog fell sick. The morning her dog fell sick I completely separated mine to a different part of the house. Mine is a little Pit puppy, but he hasn't gotten his shots started because he was only 5 weeks and two days. He makes 6 weeks tomorrow and has a vet appointment. Once the test came back that her dog was positive I brought my puppy to a friend's house.

If we bleach the yard and everything in the house once her puppy is better or if he passes away, is it safe to bring my puppy home after he gets his first shot? What's the risk of him getting parvo. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

I had my puppy at the vet's on Saturday for her second set of shots in a series. One dog came in with Parvo and had to be quarantined at the vets. I was worried about my puppy. According to my vet Parvo can be transferred to your home on the soles of your shoes, from a carton, or even touching the other animal

Take your dog to the vet and get him his shots started. The first in the series they give here is their annual vaccination and parvo shots. The vet told me the shots don't take effect for 48 hours. I was given instructions to watch the puppy for signs of vomiting or diarrhea. If the dog showed these signs to call immediately.

For now keep the dogs apart and take the puppy to the vets. Ask the vet to check your dog for Parvo and explain what has happened. That is all you can do for now.

You can disinfect things in the house, as long as you are careful to make sure all surfaces are treated. Outside will be much more difficult, and parvo can live up to a year outdoors.

It is possible you moved your puppy soon enough but this is a virus that can even be brought in on shoes. The sick puppy was actually sick before he showed direct signs of Parvo. Hopefully, your vet will check your puppy and may be able to tell you that he is safe but it may be a long time before you can take him back to the other house and yard. Virus can live in a yard for up to a year in some cases and it takes a lot of work to remove all traces. Your vet will be able to tell you when your puppy will be safe from this virus and when you can go into once contaminated areas.

Here is a link that explains about Parvo (it is a long article but well worth the time spent reading) and the second link is a schedule for your puppy's first year with the vet.

http://www.2ndc … e.info/parvo.htm

http://www.akc. … -complete-guide/