Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

Answers

Best Answer

Never, ever give bleach to an animal! Take your new friend to a vet! Perhaps you cannot afford a visit to the vet, but if you have traveling vets in your area, their charges are not extremely high. If you are an animal lover, like me, you will see that they get the best of care.

Best Answer

I've given my dogs and puppies their own parvo shots (I give the 8-way vaccine) and de-wormer for years now.

One important thing to remember when cleaning up an area where a dog infected with parvo or worms has been is to completely remove any other animals from the area. They can absorb the bleach and soap through their foot-pads, and it will poison them.

From what I understand, Parvo can live in the ground for up to 9 years, but worm eggs can live outside in freezing conditions for over 20 years! It's very, very important to keep this in mind: a dog who has just been de-wormed can reinfect itself within a day or so, and humans are just as susceptible to pin worms and other parasites as any other mammal.

Please take the time to wear shoes in all areas where you have pets!

Cheri in S.C.

Best Answer

I believe the original poster was alluding to the coincidence that dogs that drink from swimming pools don't come down with parvo, and therefore people are adding drops of bleach to there pets water to keep them from coming down with parvo. My puppy is at the hospital right now with parvo even after receiving his puppy parvo shots, and if I'd known that a couple drops of bleach in his water would have kept him healthy 2 weeks ago we probably would have him home with us now.

As far as putting bleach in the water I don't know why the people who have replied are acting spacey.. where you all have been. Our public water supply is treated with bleach Swimming pools are treated with bleach.. and the military adds bleach to water anytime they are in the field.To answer your question I believe it is one capful of bleach to 5gallons of water. I believe the military ratio is 10 drops per gallon.

The redcross suggest 16 drops per gallon of water to decontaminate it and make it safe for humans to drink. Here's a link to their red cross http://www.redc  000089f0870aRCRD

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

Answers

Best Answer

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.
And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Steam clean or shampoo your carpets, throw away all old bedding, toys and bowls no matter how useful or sentimental.

And of course, now you know you should not bring a puppy home until it has completely finished its series of shots. Let the original owner care for it until then, or adopt a dog that has all its shots.

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

Answers

Best Answer

The safest thing to do is to get rid of all the sod and soil and redo it. Then use bleach on concrete, wood and tile areas.

Even in your cars if you travel with your dog like I do. It may be expensive but if you love your animal like I do this is the only sure way.

When will parvo be gone? Before my dog died of parvo, our grass was over 30cm long, after he died we cut the grass and it was dead. Is the virus still in my yard? It's been 3 months since he died and I want to know what can help get rid of parvo (other than bleach). Thanks:)

By ME:D from P.E

Answers

You need to talk to your vet or other professional. I believe Parvo lives in the soil a long time. Bleach is what I have heard will kill it. You just can't be too careful where Parvo is concerned. Sorry for loss.

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

Answers

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

That comment about "skipping the puppy silliness"..If any dog comes into contact with the infected area, that dog is at risk of getting it, the only reason why it is more common in puppies is because their tiny bodies immune system isn't nearly strong enough to fight it off but if you get a grown dog with a weak immune system that isn't producing enough antibodies, even with vaccines that dog might just as well get the Parvo Virus as well, I HIGHLY suggest you Treat the area, either with Bleach, or color safe bleach and disinfectant Do NOT go purchasing another dog until the areas are cleaned. Parvo is a Virus that attacks the inner lining of a dogs stomach allowing bad and harmful bacteria to enter the dogs blood stream, and it tears down whats left of the immune system if untreated allowing other illnesses and diseases to Accure which is what initially kills the dog. even vaccinated dogs have a 10% window to come under attack by the virus, 85% of cases treated early enough and aggressively Survive But 90% Of cases caught too late or not treated end up dying. Parvo can show symptoms, Or it can hide it's self to where you don't know until it's too late. Please treat the areas, If need be get in contact over the phone or in-person with your local vet and Ask them about over the counter sprays or commercial Sprays.

Anonymous

Color safe does not work

Color safe bleach will not kill parvo, I thoight about doing that and then decided to look it up, and evething I checked said NO. You have to use regular bleach with chloride

How do I get the parvo virus out of my yard?

By Billie

Answers

Our vet said waiting 3 years or replace all the the soil

How do you treat your lawn for Parvo from a puppy.

By Paulette from Lakewood, WA

Answers

Definitely consult a vet on this one. Parvo is very life threatening and not worth taking any chances whatsoever!

I just lost Honey Bear, a Terrier puppy last week to Parvo, and her sister, Shana, just went in today with it. I had thrown away most of the first puppy's stuff and knew somewhat how dangerous the virus is. Now, after Shana having to be in the hospital, I am bleaching, bleaching, and bleaching.

I've read on here that I need to bleach my yard every day for two weeks, and to wash my walls, floors, cabinets, clothes, shoes, car, porch, etc with bleach, for two weeks as well. I've read on some medical internet pages that Parvo usually only lasts for approximately 9 months in the yard, but I've also heard up to 5 years.

What is the real life expectancy with Parvo? And by spraying my yard for two weeks with bleach, will that kill it, or do I need to keep worrying about it? I have another dog, Maddie, that is a year old and so far has not been affected by the virus, and after the loss of Honey Bear, I do not plan on getting more dogs anytime soon. But I worry about Maddie being infected.

She is up to date on her shots, but I am major germaphobic and do not like to think I have such a horrible virus living in my yard, even after 14 days of spraying bleach on my yard. Also, what am I to do with Maddie when I spray the yard, she could carry the virus into my home, and that is disgusting. Can she survive the bleach? This is bad, I'm about to just set the whole yard on fire. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Lori

Answers:

Bleaching My Yard

I bleached my yard for 1 week. I took half a mop bucket full of bleach and the rest water poured it on. Let it sit for about 1/2 hour then take buckets full of hot water and rinse the yard.

I kept my other foster dogs totally out of the parvo infected area. I never cleaned my walls just my floors where the dogs and I walked. I tried really hard to keep the puppies contained to an area where no one could be by them.

I took a spray bottle 3/4 bleach and the rest hot water and soaked the bottom of my shoes everytime I came in from the yard or the floor the puppies were on. I bleached the floors and kennels every morning and night. We got rid of it in 1 week.

By Bobbie H

What is the best way to clean your yard of parvo?

By BECKY

Answer:

Bleach

The only thing I know of and I was told this by the animal clinic is to spray bleach through out the whole yard, even wash the underside your shoes (because you could have walked through it), but you may want to ask your vet. I'm told there is something else, too.

By angela adams

How do you disinfect a yard from parvo?

By mike from Oklahoma City

Answers:

Spray With Bleach

Bleach, bleach, and more bleach! Just mix about 1/4 cup bleach to a gallon of water and spray everything. A pump sprayer would be helpful. You can dilute even more for spraying or for wiping dark fabrics, but you must clean absolutely everything.

By rach

Bleach

I agree with bleach. I used a stronger solution outside in the yard, porch, truck tires, dog house, and chainlink kennel. I sprayed my carpet with bleach and water. Test a small area first if you are worried about bleaching the colors. At my door entrances, I saturated a towel with bleach, and coming in or going out feet are wiped. I cleaned crates with bleach also. I have used 3 gallons of bleach in a week. Bleach, bleach, bleach. The bleach did not kill my grass.

By Belinda

My puppy was just laid to rest yesterday. He was a beautiful 4-month-old white Pit Bull and had parvo. My question is, how do I get rid of the parvo in my yard so when we do decide to get another puppy that puppy doesn't get sick? I know it's soon to think of another puppy, but I have an 11-year-old daughter and it's been hard on her. Just like for me.

By rip baby chico from Oceanside, CA

Answers:

Bleach Kills Parvo

I am a vet. tech. Parvo stays in the ground/soil for at least 7-10 years. Unless you can bleach the whole yard and house you will not be able to get rid of it. Bleach is the only thing that kills it. If you get a new puppy it needs to have 3-4 booster vaccines before you even bring it to your home.

By Ashley

Get Vaccinations

I am so sorry you lost your puppy. It is heartbreaking. When you feel it is time for a new pet, why not adopt an adult dog from a shelter? You can skip all the puppy silliness and not have to worry about the parvo virus. Be sure the new dog has been properly vaccinated. Good Luck.

By Lizzyanny

Load More