Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

Best Answer

The safest thing to do is to get rid of all the sod and soil and redo it. Then use bleach on concrete, wood and tile areas. Even in your cars if you travel with your dog like I do. It may be expensive but if you love your animal like I do this is the only sure way.

I am sorry to say but Parvo can live in the soil for up to one year. The usual method for cleaning up the parvo virus is bleach/water. Please call your veterinarian for any instructions. Please do not bring another dog into your yard until you are sure the Parvo Virus has been eliminated. Good luck.

Anonymous

Parvo can remain in the yard for two years or more. Most people will say to spray with bleach to help but that's bad for the environment. I have heard that there are products out there that will help clean up the problem safely but no guarantee the virus will be completely gone. Call around to assorted pet stores and home and garden stores to see what both would recommend.

Over all the years I have been taking care of stray and discarded animals I only have found one true way of getting rid of parvo and that is bleach and on the yard. I would suggest applying it once a week in an outdoor bleach amount at least a couple of times. Most importantly is that before bringing a new pet to the yard make sure it has had all its parvo shots for at least a month so it is resistant to the virus and the biggest thing to remember is always pick up dogs poop daily.

A puppy I found in the yard turned out to be sick with distemper and suspected of parvo. It never went potty, but did throw up. The yard has had all poop removed, been treated with bleach, tilled, new dirt brought in and resodded. Do you think this rid the yard of the suspected parvo?

By Shammie from TN

Answers:

Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard

Shammie, I really don't know the answer to your question. It sounds like you've done about everything you possibly can. Why not call your vet's office and run this question past them? They could probably give you the best information (or refer you to someone who can).

I hope what you've done is good enough, because you've already done a whole lot! Best of luck. (03/09/2010)

By mrs.story

Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard

I've heard it takes up to two years for the virus to go away even with bleaching, etc :-( I agree with mrs.story that it would be best to ask a vet or two to be certain. (03/10/2010)

By Deeli