Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

That comment about "skipping the puppy silliness"..If any dog comes into contact with the infected area, that dog is at risk of getting it, the only reason why it is more common in puppies is because their tiny bodies immune system isn't nearly strong enough to fight it off but if you get a grown dog with a weak immune system that isn't producing enough antibodies, even with vaccines that dog might just as well get the Parvo Virus as well, I HIGHLY suggest you Treat the area, either with Bleach, or color safe bleach and disinfectant Do NOT go purchasing another dog until the areas are cleaned. Parvo is a Virus that attacks the inner lining of a dogs stomach allowing bad and harmful bacteria to enter the dogs blood stream, and it tears down whats left of the immune system if untreated allowing other illnesses and diseases to Accure which is what initially kills the dog. even vaccinated dogs have a 10% window to come under attack by the virus, 85% of cases treated early enough and aggressively Survive But 90% Of cases caught too late or not treated end up dying. Parvo can show symptoms, Or it can hide it's self to where you don't know until it's too late. Please treat the areas, If need be get in contact over the phone or in-person with your local vet and Ask them about over the counter sprays or commercial Sprays.

Anonymous

Color safe does not work