Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden

Keeping your own dogs or wandering neighborhood dogs out of the garden can be frustrating. This is a guide about keeping dogs out of your garden.

A dog sitting in a garden.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

The neighbor puppy is digging in our big potted plant, what can I do to get him to stop?

Discouraging Dog from Digging in Potted Plant
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sprinkle a little chili powder on the dirt.

Read More Answers...

Do marigolds and coffee grounds keep dogs away from the garden? And what else can I put down or do?

By Liz B from Mexico, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like to put temporary chicken wire or a temporary fence around the garden with temporary green metal stakes. I can move these at will.

How can I protect my plants from my 1 year old dog? I cannot plant in the ground because he digs them up. He has destroyed my tomato plants, which were doing so well! He pulls plants out of pots if they are too low. I have come outdoors to find my plants all over the yard, big palms, ivy, anything.

I do not want to plant anymore if he will take them out, but I would love to start my veggie garden, in pots right now, before the heat really comes in. And because of the heat, my dog stays inside, so I want to take advantage of this to plant. Please help.

By Isabel from S. TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put cayenne pepper around my plants after planting. Seems to work, until it rains that is!! I also heard that dogs don't like mint. I am growing some peppermint so I took some leaves, broke them up and scattered them on an area that I had just seeded. I can't guarantee that that's what worked but our puppy didn't dig them up as she had before. I also heard that you can put branches from rose bushes on the ground to discourage animals from digging. It didn't help with our chickens though.

Read More Answers...

Having four dogs running around my garden, I found that the best way to avoid the trampled plants, bent branches, and other fun stuff that happens in a garden when pets run rampant is to work out where they like to run and make them their own racing track.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I keep our new puppy out of my Hostas? We tried a wire fence, but he laid on it and flattened it. We also tried a granule from the pet store, but that didn't affect him. Any ideas?

By Lisa from Silvis, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A fence is about the only option that will work. You could try a stronger fence that he can't knock over.

I need to know of a natural, inexpensive way to keep dogs out of flower beds. I know that they like to lay in the mulch but they are killing my flowers. Help!

Tabitha

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Mine do NOT like to walk on the decorative rock that my DH put around our 'fireplug' so that keeps them out of ours. (09/27/2004)

By Randiann

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

My dog will not stay out of my flower beds! HELP..

(04/20/2005)

By La'Tasha

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Try red pepper. Dried Crushed Peppers are easier to spread without getting on the flowers and leaves themselves. If that doesn't work, I've heard Moth Balls works also. (05/19/2005)

By Sonya

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

My dog destroyed our flowers by walking through it. It is hard cause the front is where she goes out cause it is fenced in. Our back is not no more because she jumped the fence in back. I wish I knew something that would look decent that we could put around flower bed to avoid our dog walking through it. Any ideas would be helpful. thanks. (09/09/2006)

By Kim

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I have tried so many things to keep my dogs from digging in the dirt of our flower bed. Finally I spoke to my dad and his exact words were. "Son, you have two options here. You can either have a nice yard with green grass and flowers, or you can have a couple of dogs. But not both." (03/31/2007)

By Ted

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Sprinkle crushed hot red pepper on flower beds. Or even better, also use the following mixture too:

Soak crushed hot peppers (or cayenne) in rubbing alcohol for 1 or 2 days, strain and then pour into a well marked sprayer bottle and spray on house plants, garbage cans and inside lids or on any plants or bushes where dogs like to hang dig or pee. This mixture keeps cats away and works for mole holes too, I don't see why it wouldn't also work for dogs (it just makes animals sneeze and they leave)

If you have an "ethnic" store near you (Indian, Asian, Mexican etc.) you can purchase a very large (1 pound) bag of crushed red pepper there. It's by far the best place to buy it. Sometimes they have several bags marked down due to age, just ask the grocery manager. In a pinch, black pepper will also work. Also at large health food stores or co-ops (or maybe the Internet?) you can usually buy hot African cayenne in bulk. Cayenne or any hot pepper works just as well (but can cost more than the crushed red pepper).

While I'm on the subject, I've found that most ethnic stores (especially Indian) have by far the very best prices on spices... You don't get the fancy little bottles, but instead the spices come in plastic bags. After opening, just put the spices in individual recycled jars (like mayonnaise). The prices are usually so low, they will surprise you. You'll usually get at least 4 times more for the price you'd pay at the grocery store! (03/31/2007)

By Cyinda

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I put cactus low in the ground throughout my flower beds. They stay out of those areas. Since I don't care for cactus I planted small ones so they just stick up and also just under the leaves of some of the plants. I covered the flower beds with bark so I can barely see the cactus. (06/03/2007)

By

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

By Riverrat

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

My Dog Eats Moth Balls!

Editor's Note:Mothballs are very bad for pets. If you dog has eaten some, take him to the vet. (06/24/2007)

By Chad

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I have also heard that moth balls work. However, I tried it and not only did it not work, I now have two smelly dogs and very smelly flowerbeds. (06/25/2007)

By Sara

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I hope this red pepper works! The only other means is to use a hot wire and I really don't wont to do that. My two baby labs chewed the wire harness out of my truck. Chewed on my Cadillac and found them wrestling muddy as they could be on the hood of the Cady. They are sweet hearts and I don't want to hurt them or break there spirits. So What do you guys think?

THANK YOU (04/28/2008)

ByThe Fuselier Family

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I kept my big dogs from digging in my flower beds by clearing out as much ground cover as possible and then adding weed block (since I was down there) and chicken wire. Listen, I'm no genius and if it didn't quite fit, I overlapped or wove bits together. Then I covered it all with mulch. It worked about 15 years. (03/04/2009)

By Floridacountry

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a pest that keeps getting in my garden. It is an 8lb longhair miniature dachshund. No matter what I do to fix the gate on my fence this pest keeps getting in. I have heard there is something that can be sprinkled on the ground that when he smells it he will not try to get in. Anyone know what I can do?

By Slingshot_317 from TX

Keeping Dogs Out of the Garden

Sprinkle a liberal dose of cayenne pepper where he is going under, that usually works. (04/16/2010)

By kelreg

Keeping Dogs Out of the Garden

I tried cayenne pepper flakes. My dog ate it. Will try moth balls next. I hate to, but my husband is getting impatient with the dog digging up tomato plants! (05/25/2010)

By sexton68

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can you keep dogs out of the garden?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you keep a dog out of a vegetable garden? It's a very small garden, and not worth the cost of fencing it in. If I fenced it, I'd have no room for the plants.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Pest Control DogsDecember 27, 2012
    Bored Kid at a Restaurant
    Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
    Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
    Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
    Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
    Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
    A Garden Journal
    Keeping A Garden Journal
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 11:41:30 PM on 10.0.2.100 in 514 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.