Keeping Food Warm at Parties

You don't need expensive warming trays and steam tables to keep food warm at your next party. This is a guide about keeping food warm at parties.

December 3, 2004 Flag

Make sure when entertaining to use your crockpot to heat up side dishes such as canned veggies, or use it to keep mashed potatoes or a soup warm.

By Melanie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Keeping mashed potatoes warm in the crockpot is a great idea, but make sure it is no longer than 3 hours before serving. Connie

September 14, 2006 Flag

While it's easiest to put out a lot of food at once, you can save a lot of waste and possibly prevent some food poisoning by putting food out in smaller batches and replacing it as it runs out.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 15, 2008 Flag

How do you keep buns warm in a crockpot? Do you have to warm them first? Or do they warm well in the crockpot? And how long should you give them to heat up? Should you line the crockpot with a towel and dampen it? This is for a potluck where I need to heat them first at home and keep them warm, hopefully.

wondernana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hmmm. I had never thought of using a crock pot to warm/heat rolls before.

We have an old electric bun warmer/steamer from the '70s. I just used it the other day and for the first time noticed it had a small hole in the top in the middle of the handle. It is to let off excess steam so they don't get soggy. Maybe if you scrunched a small piece of foil to use to keep the lid ajar a tiny bit? Just guessing. Perhaps someone else has more insight. :-)

I would do a test run or two with some buns for dinner in advance to see how it works and how long it takes. When I do mine in the steamer I do them fresh sometimes and put them in still frozen sometimes.

I don't know if it will work but what about a ice chest, put some heated towels in to get it warm and then put the rolls in straight from the oven.

If you have use of a micowave, try this.Wet a paper bag put buns in, heat for 20 sec.You can use wet hand towels to,the same way. Good Luck

I did this last year for Thanksgiving dinner with my homemade crescent rolls. I baked them a couple days ahead of time. Then put a damp fingertip towel in the slow cooker, and a dry paper towel on top of the damp towel, arranged my rolls, covered all with another towel, a dry one. The only mistake I made was to set the heat on"warm" instead of "low". I have a pretty hot crock pot. It simmers hard on warm, and it scorched my towel and the rolls that were on the bottom, but the rest of them were perfect. So this should work for you very well, but just use the "Low" setting instead of the "Warm". I don't like to warm them in the microwave because if you leave them a little too long, they turn tough.

Harlean from Arkansas

I like the idea of warming buns in a crock pot. Another idea is to use one of those casserole dishes that comes with the warming pad. You know, the kind that looks like a brief case and zips up.

Keeping Food Warm Until Served
Keeping Food Warm Until Served
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceApril 15, 2013
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Mexican Fondue
Hot Party Dip Recipes
A Shar Pei dog under a blanket.
Keeping a Dog Warm at Night
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 12:20:47 AM on 10.0.1.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.