Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy

One major problem with preparing sandwiches ahead of time is that they may become soggy. This is a guide about keeping sandwiches from getting soggy.

Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My son loves Bologna and Cheese sandwiches with Mayo, but I've always hated knowing that by lunch he was eating a soggy sandwich. SO, I started putting the mayonnaise on between the bologna and cheese so that the bread doesn't get soggy. It's worked wonders and he doesn't complain.

By Jessica from Richmond, KY

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I pack sandwiches in lunch bag (insulated) and include an ice pack. The bread gets soggy, how can this be prevented?

By Sabra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The only time I had a similar problem was when the ice pack itself was leaking. Ice packs are filled with chemicals that might not be good to have around food. I threw mine away and bought another for only $1. These smaller ice packs are available just about everywhere and are worth the money. I have two, one for in the insulated lunch bag and the other for in the freezer to use the next day. Recycling at its best!

Read More Answers...

When preparing a turkey sandwich for lunch what could I store the mayo and tomatoes in? If I put the mayo and tomatoes on the sandwich in the a.m. it is usually soggy and wet by lunch time. Any suggestions?

Onesummer

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1. Separate containers for bread/meat/cheese and veggies/tuna. Use small re-usable containers rather than plastic wrap or baggies, since the wraps and baggies will almost certainly go directly into a landfill.

2. Pick up a big box of condiment packets at Sam's Club, Costco, Big Lots, or other bulk discount store. They come in ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and sometimes pickle relish. Each box will last several months.

3. Leave off the tomatoes because they do cause sogginess, but include lettuce, and also a little pickle, maybe.

4. Make a "dry" sandwich of bread, meat or cheese, lettuce, and side-packets of condiments (see #2). Then include a separate container with a bit of cucumber-tomato salad (no lettuce -- that adds bulk, but not a lot of nutrients) or fruit salad. Don't forget a fork! Sam's Club has a pack of 36 forks for something like $7 or $8, ditto with spoons, and about $13 for 36butter knives. If your child has her own utensils, she's less likely to forget and leave them somewhere, especially if there's a convenient place in her lunch box to put them.

5. If the kid just loves tomatoes and other soggy sandwich ingredients, make toast the night before (or make a whole loaf of toast on Sunday) by laying the bread in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour. It will dry out a LOT and become very crispy. That way, when you put the tomato slice on in the morning, the bread will be soft but not horribly soggy by lunch time.

Read More Answers...
Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchJuly 5, 2013
A piece of apple pie with crispy crust.
Preventing Soggy Pie Crust
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 5:00:37 PM on 10.0.1.204 in 915 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.