Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy

One major problem with preparing sandwiches ahead of time is that they may become soggy. This is a guide about keeping sandwiches from getting soggy.

September 9, 2008 Flag

My son loves Bologna and Cheese sandwiches with Mayo, but I've always hated knowing that by lunch he was eating a soggy sandwich. SO, I started putting the mayonnaise on between the bologna and cheese so that the bread doesn't get soggy. It's worked wonders and he doesn't complain.

By Jessica from Richmond, KY

Geeze,why didn't I think of that?lol.It's little things like this that we think everyone should already know and don't bother to share but thanks a million for taking the time to post.

WOW! And here I am 54 years old and not once thought to do that so I or others wouldn't have a soggy sammie at school or work or have to carry an extra container of the condiments and a utensil to spread it at time of 'eats'! ;-) Boy, do I feel dumb!

Thanks for a great tip!

Wow! I'm 66 years old and never figured that one out. Duh! Love mayo on sandwiches. Thanks for the post.

Another tip is too spread a thin layer of margarine or butter on the bread itself before adding the mayo. That prevents any moisture getting to the bread and leaves your sandwich fresh.

May 30, 2012 Flag

I pack sandwiches in lunch bag (insulated) and include an ice pack. The bread gets soggy, how can this be prevented?

By Sabra

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had this same problem so I put the ice pack in a ziplock bag and put a folded paper towel between the ice pack and the sandwich. I haven't had a soggy sandwich since.

And if msconni1's idea doesn't work for you try adding your condiments just before eating. All you need is very small tupperware containers and a knife. Even PB&J sammies get soggy if the peanut butter and jelly has been on the bread for a few hours (packed with or without an ice pack).

Leave off the condiments and tomatoes, lettuce, etc. if you use those. Put them in a separate sandwich bag. The bread is absorbing the moisture from the "wet" stuff.

It might not be the ice pack, but the sandwich ingredients. Try lightly toasting the breqad and spread with butter. Then add the meat, cheese, what ever. If you have tomato, don't put it in the sandwich but in a separate bag. Then bag the sandwich in plastic or waxed paper.

August 15, 2008 Flag

When preparing a turkey sandwich for lunch what could I store the mayo and tomatoes in? If I put the mayo and tomatoes on the sandwich in the a.m. it is usually soggy and wet by lunch time. Any suggestions?

Onesummer

Scope out the inside seeds out of the tomato and chop up and use between the ham and cheese etc.

I use a longer piece of plastic wrap and when the sandwich is completely wraped then I put the lettuce and tomato pickle etc and continue wrapping. No soggy

When I am at a fast food place, I take a few extra packs of ketchup or mustard or etc.

I send these with the lunches rather than putting the condiments on the sandwich the night before.

I bought one small, cheap plastic container to send pickles or tomatoes with the lunch, or a small zip top bag would work just as well.

All these suggestions seem great and useful for many reasons but I simply butter both pieces of bread and then add my tuna or lunch meat and I'm done. For tomato and other veggies a separate container (like a zipper sandwich bag has always worked for me), however the plastic containers seem to me to be more economical in the long run as they can be reused. Good advise from all !

Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchJuly 5, 2013
A piece of apple pie with crispy crust.
Preventing Soggy Pie Crust
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎄