Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy

One major problem with preparing sandwiches ahead of time is that they may become soggy. This is a guide about keeping sandwiches from getting soggy.

Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 9, 2008 Flag

My son loves Bologna and Cheese sandwiches with Mayo, but I've always hated knowing that by lunch he was eating a soggy sandwich. SO, I started putting the mayonnaise on between the bologna and cheese so that the bread doesn't get soggy. It's worked wonders and he doesn't complain.

By Jessica from Richmond, KY

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 30, 2012 Flag

I pack sandwiches in lunch bag (insulated) and include an ice pack. The bread gets soggy, how can this be prevented?

By Sabra

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

And if msconni1's idea doesn't work for you try adding your condiments just before eating. All you need is very small tupperware containers and a knife. Even PB&J sammies get soggy if the peanut butter and jelly has been on the bread for a few hours (packed with or without an ice pack).

Leave off the condiments and tomatoes, lettuce, etc. if you use those. Put them in a separate sandwich bag. The bread is absorbing the moisture from the "wet" stuff.

It might not be the ice pack, but the sandwich ingredients. Try lightly toasting the breqad and spread with butter. Then add the meat, cheese, what ever. If you have tomato, don't put it in the sandwich but in a separate bag. Then bag the sandwich in plastic or waxed paper.

The only time I had a similar problem was when the ice pack itself was leaking. Ice packs are filled with chemicals that might not be good to have around food. I threw mine away and bought another for only $1. These smaller ice packs are available just about everywhere and are worth the money. I have two, one for in the insulated lunch bag and the other for in the freezer to use the next day. Recycling at its best!

Read More Answers...

August 15, 2008 Flag

When preparing a turkey sandwich for lunch what could I store the mayo and tomatoes in? If I put the mayo and tomatoes on the sandwich in the a.m. it is usually soggy and wet by lunch time. Any suggestions?

Onesummer

I use a longer piece of plastic wrap and when the sandwich is completely wraped then I put the lettuce and tomato pickle etc and continue wrapping. No soggy

When I am at a fast food place, I take a few extra packs of ketchup or mustard or etc.

I send these with the lunches rather than putting the condiments on the sandwich the night before.

I bought one small, cheap plastic container to send pickles or tomatoes with the lunch, or a small zip top bag would work just as well.

All these suggestions seem great and useful for many reasons but I simply butter both pieces of bread and then add my tuna or lunch meat and I'm done. For tomato and other veggies a separate container (like a zipper sandwich bag has always worked for me), however the plastic containers seem to me to be more economical in the long run as they can be reused. Good advise from all !

1. Separate containers for bread/meat/cheese and veggies/tuna. Use small re-usable containers rather than plastic wrap or baggies, since the wraps and baggies will almost certainly go directly into a landfill.

2. Pick up a big box of condiment packets at Sam's Club, Costco, Big Lots, or other bulk discount store. They come in ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and sometimes pickle relish. Each box will last several months.

3. Leave off the tomatoes because they do cause sogginess, but include lettuce, and also a little pickle, maybe.

4. Make a "dry" sandwich of bread, meat or cheese, lettuce, and side-packets of condiments (see #2). Then include a separate container with a bit of cucumber-tomato salad (no lettuce -- that adds bulk, but not a lot of nutrients) or fruit salad. Don't forget a fork! Sam's Club has a pack of 36 forks for something like $7 or $8, ditto with spoons, and about $13 for 36butter knives. If your child has her own utensils, she's less likely to forget and leave them somewhere, especially if there's a convenient place in her lunch box to put them.

5. If the kid just loves tomatoes and other soggy sandwich ingredients, make toast the night before (or make a whole loaf of toast on Sunday) by laying the bread in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour. It will dry out a LOT and become very crispy. That way, when you put the tomato slice on in the morning, the bread will be soft but not horribly soggy by lunch time.

Read More Answers...
Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchJuly 5, 2013
A piece of apple pie with crispy crust.
Preventing Soggy Pie Crust
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:44:14 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.