Keeping Sheets on the Bed

Depending on the mattress and the kind of sheets, it can be a challenge to keep the bedding together. This guide is about keeping sheets on the bed.

September 4, 2009 Flag

For my queen size bed I found that the corners of the sheets were always coming loose during the night. So I go some of these elastic things that have the clips on either end that you clip on the sheet at the corners. Well this didn't really do the trick either.

So I took and cut the clips off leaving just about 2 inches of the elastic still attached to each one. I ended up with 8 clips. Then I sewed the clip to the bottom side of the mattress, going in about 4 inches or so with each one. I put them at about the same spots where they were before I cut the clips (either side of each corner).

Now when I put the fitted sheet on I clip it to each clip. It holds the sheet in place nicely till I'm ready to wash and change sheets. No more bunched up bottom sheets!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I was just checking back and wanted to say, I really like the suspender idea. Thanks Golden7673!

I love the suspender idea also. We use cotton sateen sheets, flat and fitted and they are so comfy but do slip around alot. We rollover so many times at night, they always come off the corners. I am unable to lift the ends of the heavy pillow-top mattress so I just wait until the hubby gets home and he does it. I will now be able to make the bed easily with the suspender idea. Also, it is a good idea to have a "not so slick" mattress pad and some sheets that are heavier in thread count. Thanks for your posting.

Drawstring sheets never have this problem. The drawstring does not allow the sheet to come up or come off at all. They are tightened to any point desired for an exact fit to pretty much any mattress. The best thing is that they stay really nice and smooth for a feeling like no other sheet. It's as though the bed was just made and it continues like that until they are removed. They work great!

i could not understand these directions...

September 8, 2016 Flag

I am a very restless sleeper and every morning I have to remake the bed completely, i.e. rearrange all the sheets. I tried the sheet strap things from a store and they are not any help.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Buy suspenders like the kind men use to hold up their pants. Sew buttons on your bottom sheet, one on each corner. Put the suspenders between your box spring and mattress and attach each of the ends to a button as you're making the bed. At the very least, the fitted sheet will stay in place. As to the rest? Why not buy an extra top sheet, sew them together and make a cover for your blanket or duvet?

I sew a wide elastic strip across each corner. (Sew the end of the elastic on one side, cross over to the other side of the same corner and sew the end of the elastic on.) The elastic goes under the mattress. That works for me.

February 18, 2008 Flag

To keep your bedding from falling on the floor, and making the bed in the morning a snap, just use sock tape (used by hockey players to keep their socks up) on the two bottom corners of the covers.

Tape around corner of mattress.

July 15, 2008 Flag

The elastic on my bottom sheets is not keeping the corners tight and in place. I wake up in the morning and the bedding is undone. Any suggestions to keep the corners tightly held?

Derryl from Ontario, Canada

I have the same problem. I use garter clips. they are made especially to keep sheets in place.

I already posted my hint but I'll copy it here. To keep your bedding from falling on the floor, and making the bed in the morning a snap, just use sock tape (clear, heavy plasic tape used by hockey players to keep their hockey socks up) on the two bottom corners of the covers. Start the tape on the top and wrap it straight down, lift the corner of the mattress and bring it up the other side to the top. I tape the mattress cover on all 4 corners to keep it snug and then tape the bottom corners of the cover sheet and quilt. In the morning all you have to do is pull your covers up. I have a king size bed so this doesn't interfere with my leg room. On wash day, just peel the old tape and re-tape the clean sheets and blankets. In the past I have saved the waistband off of my boy's underwear if it was in good shape and re-used it for the corners of of my bedding. I'd put the sheets on the bed, pin the stretched elasic to hug the corners tight and take it to the sewing machine for the final stiching. That works okay but I prefer using the sock tape. There is a picture with my original post as well.

How frustrating. Try the clips, they work. Some mattresses need deeper sheets.

I've used those little clip things that come with tensor bandages. They work pretty well

May 30, 2011 Flag

What can I get or use to keep the fitted sheet on a hospital bed?

By Twyla from Muskogee, OK

Purchased at family dollar, I got a package of four elastic straps with clips (like to hold up stockings) on each end one strap for each corner to pull the sheet tighter. The package was about $2.

I have found it easier just to take a full flat sheet and tie the ends under the mattress on the bottom and the top, this makes it tight and smooth. I have learned a few tricks over the years as a cna. Hope this help!

The straps that rmagee29 isn't talking about work great. the sheets won't go anywhere with those on. You can also find them at Wal-Mart.

To help it keep from shifting have you tried large pieces of the rubbery waffle type non-slip stuff they carry in dollar stores, Wal-Mart, etc? They are used for various things such as shelf liner in RVs to keep things from shifting in transit. If you cut the squares so they don't interfere with the body (in the corners) it helps the sheets from shifting from normal use.

I use small pieces under items to keep them from slipping back when touched like under a radio, lamp, phone etc. It helps my mother a lot as she reaches for the item next to her chair or when she is in bed. You aren't playing "catch" all of the time

December 20, 2012 Flag

I have a memory foam mattress, and I cannot keep the sheets and bedclothes from sliding to the left. Every morning, I have to totally remake the bed, because the sheets and everything else wind up near or on the floor.

I have tried pinning them down, and making an elastic band to fit around the top and bottom, and still I keep having this problem. Does anyone else have this problem with a memory foam mattress, and know what I can do about it? It has just about ruined the looks of my mattress. (I can't take the mattress cover off and wash it. )

By Carole Heaven E.

This may work , you can give it a try anyway - do you know the kind of kitchen shelf liner -it"s kind of rubbery-soft feeling or what you can put under an area rug to keep it from sliding?

Think you can also get this in "big box" tool-type stores, to put under power tools to keep them from sliding around (may be called a router mat). I have this between box spring & mattress to keep it from moving. Hope it helps ! :-)

I purchased a huge (8'x10') rug pad from my local discount store. Wal-Mart may also sell them. Then I draped it over the mattress cover. Then I put the bottom sheet on the bed, using those elastic strips that have clips at each end. The clips look like those used for old-fashioned thigh-high stockings. The bottom sheet will stay in place. In fact, maybe you just need the sheet clips. If the thread count of your sheets is ultra-high or you use satin sheets, you definitely need the clips, and tuck the "foot" end of the top sheet under the elastic when you first make the bed.

Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousNovember 28, 2012
California King Bed
Buying Sheets for a California King Bed
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Washing Bed Sheets
Cleaning Bed Sheets
🎄