Keeping Your Feet Dry With Plastic Bags

Recycle plastic bags to keep your socks and feet dry when out in the rain and snow. This is a guide about keeping your feet dry with plastic bags.

March 27, 2009 Flag

When we were kids and wanted to play outside in the rain or snow, we didn't have boots. My mother would put plastic bags over our socks then put our shoes on then cover the plastic bags up with our pants. My mom used bread bags but I used recycled plastic grocery bags for my kids. These days I still cover my socks with plastic bags before I go out into the snow. It's one more useful thing you can do with those plastic bags that are just waiting to be reused!

By CDR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Not only snow, but heavy rain, too. Laugh if you want, but this is the greatest tip since keeping a dry pair of socks in the car. I have bread bags, lots of bread bags. When I get inside where I'm going I can just take the bags off and be SO glad I have dry socks. My car attracts puddles on the drivers' side. Thanks.

Top Comment

This brings back a fond memory of when I was in third grade Catholic school and my shoes had become drenched walking to school. My teacher, Sister Rosalind, went and got paper towels and plastic bread bags from the nuns quarters, had me take my shoes and socks off, wrapped my feet in towels, covered with the bags and placed my shoes and socks on the heat vent and by days end they were dry. She then proceeded to make me use those bags over my socks before putting on shoes to walk home ;-) I was embarrassed because I thought it looked silly but I had dry feet ;-)

Top Comment

I used to do this, too, but with those plastic newspaper sleeves. I was a carrier in the Northeast for six years, and whenever we'd get a pounding rain or a middle-of-the-night snowstorm, I'd throw the newspaper bags over my socks and put the running shoes on over that.

Not a pretty sight, but there weren't too many folks up and about at that hour of the morning anyhow :)

I use to do that on the farm in cold weather. It really works. Can also put them over your shoes to keep them dry. Saves money, good luck.

I have a similar use only a little reverse. I do a lot of gardening and especially in the early stages before my gardens get full and mulched, when I'm tilling, raking all the "fun" stuff all the "muddy" stuff, I track a lot. I mean a lot of mud in the house but it's frustrating to have to take off the heavy muddy shoes just to run back in to grab something or use the restroom. So I've made use of those grocery bags. I keep them right there at both doors I might happen to go in, front and back, and stick my muddy feet in and either tie with a string that I'll keep with them or if I forgot I use my scissors from my apron (that I practically live in during the gardening season) to cut the handles and tie lose enough so it's easy to undo when I go back out. That has helped so much with the mud in the house issue.

A recycled market bag made from plastic grocery bags.
Uses for Plastic Grocery Bags
Better Living Frugal Living TipsFebruary 1, 2017
Dog's paw, showing pads.
Remedies for Your Pet's Dry Feet
Multicolored plastic bags on a white background.
Craft Use for Grocery Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?
Plastic Grocery Bag Flowers
Making Plastic Grocery Bag Flowers
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 9:16:26 PM on 10.0.1.11 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.