Keeping Your Feet Dry With Plastic Bags

Category Tips
A brown plastic grocery bag.
Recycle plastic bags to keep your socks and feet dry when out in the rain and snow. This is a guide about keeping your feet dry with plastic bags.

When we were kids and wanted to play outside in the rain or snow, we didn't have boots. My mother would put plastic bags over our socks then put our shoes on then cover the plastic bags up with our pants. My mom used bread bags but I used recycled plastic grocery bags for my kids. These days I still cover my socks with plastic bags before I go out into the snow. It's one more useful thing you can do with those plastic bags that are just waiting to be reused!

By CDR

Top Comment

Not only snow, but heavy rain, too. Laugh if you want, but this is the greatest tip since keeping a dry pair of socks in the car. I have bread bags, lots of bread bags. When I get inside where I'm going I can just take the bags off and be SO glad I have dry socks. My car attracts puddles on the drivers' side. Thanks.

Anonymous
Top Comment

This brings back a fond memory of when I was in third grade Catholic school and my shoes had become drenched walking to school. My teacher, Sister Rosalind, went and got paper towels and plastic bread bags from the nuns quarters, had me take my shoes and socks off, wrapped my feet in towels, covered with the bags and placed my shoes and socks on the heat vent and by days end they were dry. She then proceeded to make me use those bags over my socks before putting on shoes to walk home ;-) I was embarrassed because I thought it looked silly but I had dry feet ;-)

Top Comment

I used to do this, too, but with those plastic newspaper sleeves. I was a carrier in the Northeast for six years, and whenever we'd get a pounding rain or a middle-of-the-night snowstorm, I'd throw the newspaper bags over my socks and put the running shoes on over that.

Not a pretty sight, but there weren't too many folks up and about at that hour of the morning anyhow :)

I use to do that on the farm in cold weather. It really works. Can also put them over your shoes to keep them dry. Saves money, good luck.