Making Crafts With Plarn

Category Other
Plarn is yarn made from cut up plastic grocery bags. It has many craft uses, as it can be substituted for acrylic and other yarns in some projects. This is a page about making crafts with plarn.

This is a page about making a plarn bag. Plarn, made from plastic bags, is a marvelous substitute for traditional yarn for crafting.

Crocheted Green Plarn Bag

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about making a plarn hat. Use plarn plastic bag yarn to make a cute summer hat.

Plarn hat.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Versatile plarn can be used in a wide variety of knit and crochet projects, including making a cute coin purse. This is a page about making a plarn coin purse.

Plarn coin purse.

I was able to keep the cost down when providing table favors for an event needing 20 items. The solution was to use plarn to make the favors. Plarn is strips of recycled plastic grocery type bags that you use instead of crochet thread or yarn.

There are free patterns on the internet and instructions on how to cut the plarn and join it together to crochet. The example I show used a pattern located on www.crochetpatterncentral.com, plarn, and a large crochet hook. Once at the site select free pattern directory, Christmas, and then snowman family to locate this pattern. I only used the largest one and embellished it to match our theme using felt, sequins, painted sticks, a piece of ribbon for the hat, and a low heat glue gun.

The example shown in the picture is using recycled Wal Mart grocery bags. After cutting the strips you use the scraps or more recycled bags to stuff you project. Recycling the bags kept the cost down to only the embellishments and glue to add them. You can find lots of patterns for more practical items such as scrubbies, tote bags, rugs, and the list goes on and on!

This mini Easter egg basket measures 2-1/2 inches wide and 2 inches tall with a 7 inch handle strap

Materials:

Instructions:

Ch 4 and join with a Sl St to form a ring.

Round 1

Ch 1, then work 9 Sc in ring, join with a Sl St to top of Ch 1. (10)

Round 2

Ch 1, Sc in same st, *Sc in next st, 2 Sc in next st*. Repeat between * - * to end of round, joining with a Sl St to top of Ch 1.

Round 3

Ch 1, *work 1 Sc in ea of the next 2 sts, 2 Sc in next st*. Repeat between * to end of rnd. Join with a Sl St to top of Ch 1.

Round 4-5

Ch 1, Sc in FLO around entire basket. This creates a bend for the bottom edge of basket. Join with a Sl St to top of ch 1.

Rounds 6-8

Ch 1. working in both loops now, Sc in ea st around. Join with a Sl St to top of ch 1.

Handle:

Using white plarn still attached from last round, chain 20 for handle. Attach with a Sl St into opposite side so handle in centered and matches other side.

FO and weave ends under. Cut and trim any loose ends too.

Insert ribbon into a st at front of basket and tie a bow.

If you have any questions or find discrepancies in this pattern, please email me using the contact tab.

Abbreviations:

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Roll plarn into balls (I used 3) and place them into a clean and dry recycled 2 liter pop bottle (or other bottle). Add crochet hook(s).

Has anyone used nail polish to dye/color plastic bags? I am making plarn and trying to use what I have at home rather than buying dye?

Answers

It could have been old nail polish, but when I tried it chipped right off and you don't get much coverage from a bottle. BIG MESS!

Also a big mess is trying "permanent" markers...it is very messy and very time consuming and always looks streaky.

I find it easier to just hunt down the pretty color bags and beg all my friends to save them for me! Like at Easter everyone saves the pinks and purples ..the oranges at Halloween, etc.

It just easier!

Permanent markers are a better idea. Here is a tutorial. www.google.com/.../hand-dyed-plastic-bag-yarn-tutorial

My computer has a heavy duty security system and will not allow the instructions for making plarn. Could someone email the directions to me directly? I have a lot of bags and would like to knit some outdoor rugs and chair seats. I have 8 feral cats who love sitting on my cushions and I think the Plarn would be a great alternative... plus I'm recycling.

By Sandra V

Answers

I read somewhere, probably here, that you can cut plastic bags into strips of uniform width for plarn. I assume you would tie them together or attach them like you would a different color crochet thread. I don't crochet so I can't explain that part of the process.

The thin gauge plastic that is used to cover dry cleaned garments can make plastic yarn to crochet purses, baskets and a variety of other things. This is a page about repurposing dry cleaner's plastic to crochet.

Dry cleaner's bags being used to crochet

This is a page about eliminating static in plastic bags used for plarn. When crocheting with this thin plastic, you need to control the static.

Colorful plastic bags on a white background.

This is a page about crocheting a rug using plarn - plastic yarn. Cutting grocery bags into strips makes a durable and very inexpensive material for making throw rugs for your kitchen, bathroom, and entryways.

A bunch of plastic bags to be made into plarn.

In These Pages
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherJune 11, 2013
🎃