Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker Isn't Making Ice

I have a one year old Kenmore fridge with an ice maker that is not working. I changed the water filter yesterday and the water dispenser is working fine. However, the red light on the ice maker control is flashing and the unit is not making any ice. Any ideas? Thanks.

Brent from Riverview, New Brunswick

That happened to me too, but it took more than 1 year. Anyway, I discussed this with more than one appliance person, and was told that failure to change the filter often enough would result in the ice maker breaking. I definitely waited too long to change the filter, longer than a year. Like you, my water still works and the dispenser for both. I chose to buy ice trays & empty them into the ice container. Then they come out of the door dispenser. (01/04/2009)

By Melita

Try this. Take the front cover off, this should just pop off. Take a real small hammer and lightly tap on the brass coated plate where your plastic gears are and water fill adjustment screw is. Sometimes this will get just a little frost and jam the gears up. Also check your gears and make sure they are not striped. These are plastic gears, you should have a space on one of them that makes it trip for water fill. If that does not work check the line where water comes in take a hair dryer and defrost it. Sometimes they freeze up. Last thing, remove front cover and check for burnt wires. If none of this works you probably need a new one. I have fixed many by tapping on front metal cover where the plastic gears are. (01/05/2009)

Have you tried simply removing and reinserting the filter? (01/09/2009)

By kimhis

Ice Maker Manual
Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working
Refrigerator's Ice Maker
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice