Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Kentucky Frugal Travel Guide and Photos

Culturally a part of the American south, the bluegrass state is home to Mammoth Cave national park, and other natural recreational areas. It has beautiful lakes, equestrian racing, and vibrant cities. This is a guide about Kentucky frugal travel guide and photos.

October 12, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for a budget-minded romantic weekend getaway in the Lexington, KY or Louisville, KY area. I'd like a Bed and Breakfast/Inn setting with a country atmosphere. Also, I'd prefer something that is "not" Victorian style. (To me, that decor is not romantic, and it's stuffy and uncomfortable.) I'm hoping to find something around $100 or so per night. (Less would be wonderful!) It must have a private bath; king-size bed preferred due to height/size.

Does anyone know a place like this? I've conducted numerous searches, but I haven't located any in that area that aren't Victorian style. I've included a photo of one place (which was a little too far out and also over my budget). This is similar to what I'd like to find. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!

By Angela from Huntsville, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I am from Frankfort, KY, which is conveninetly located directly between Lexington and Louisville. Also the capital of KY. Anyway, I did a little browsing in the area and there are several B and B's in the area. Unfortunately many of them are "victorian" style. I agree with you that it is not very romantic. More of a stuffy feeling. during my search I came across a place called Kentucky Mansion Tourist Bed and Breakfast. I was not able to find a website for it but I do have a number for you. 859-873-2000. Also I did read a couple excellent reviews and have included the link for you to reas as well. http://www.yell  ews?lid=15034728

I hope this helps!!

Best Answer

There is a nice place 20 miles south of ft. Knox called mountain laurel lake resort 270-756-2737. www.Lakedream.Com lots of people go there and it is out in the middle of nowhere. My uncle says he fishes off his deck when there.

Thank you, Tonimarie! I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Angie

April 13, 2011 Flag

My husband is currently looking at a couple of job positions in Campbellsville, KY and Sault Ste Marie, MI. I was wondering if anyone had any info about these two cities, what to do, etc. I have spent most of my life in Louisville, KY area and my husband near Corydon, IN.

We have a 4yo and a 2yo. The only things we really know is that the winters in MI are brutal and the temps in the summer are usually no higher than 75. My husband used to work in Hodgenville so we know a little about the Campbellsville area because of that.

I will be grateful for any information, especially how to survive a winter in MI, just in case.

By Jessica

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm originally from Michigan, and though it's been a long time I remember Sault Ste. Marie as being pretty small and really remote. It's far to the north. The climate up there would be a big adjustment from Kentucky! The UP gets a lot of snow. Personally I liked living in the north country--lots of trees and fresh air. Northern Michigan is beautiful but the bracing climate is something to consider. Hopefully someone can answer your questions in more detail.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

April 27, 2011 Flag

closeup of  peacock

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

We went to visit my brother in Kentucky and we decided to go to the zoo. It was a gorgeous day, and this little guy decided he wanted to show off. I snapped several photos of him, but this was the best.

July 12, 2010 Flag

I was out at a park in and was trying to photograph other birds when this heron wandered out from behind some tall grass. I hoped to snap a shot of the bird catching a fish, but no luck!

By Terri

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Just love great blues, so elegant so still!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

May 30, 2012 Flag

A blue heron right after catching a fish

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

We saw this blue heron right as he was having a snack from the pond.

November 4, 2010 Flag

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

This was taken during our recent trip to Kentucky to visit my husband's parents. The trees were nearly at their peak in the fall season. The falls and rainbow were truly beautiful.

June 24, 2011 Flag

A blue heron fishing in Beaver Marsh in Ohio.

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

I took this photo of a great blue heron, while he was fishing at Beaver Marsh last week. Beaver Marsh was an auto salvage/junk yard a few decades ago until some busy beavers built a dam, and flooded the area.

April 28, 2011 Flag

Bright pink azalea flowers

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

The flowers there were so beautiful! They are about three weeks ahead of Ohio's flowers. These were outstanding and I had to snap the photo.

August 29, 2006 Flag

Dale Hollow Lake (Southern KY/TN)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Our family's recent trip to Beautiful Dale Hollow Lake. This picture highlghts the FUN we had just spending 4 days on the water. It was so relaxing and just wonderful to be able to bond.

April 14, 2008 Flag

Kentucky Fall Sky

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

A beautiful sky last fall.

Kentucky Fall Sky

Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States KentuckyFebruary 15, 2014
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Kentucky Christmas Charities
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 2:17:39 PM on 10.0.2.148 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.