Kitty Litter Substitutes

Category Cats
Some cat owners prefer to use substitute materials in their pet's litter box rather than commercially made products. This is a guide about kitty litter substitutes.

Wood stove pellets at $5 for a 40 pound bag make a very nice cat litter. The pellets are made from hard wood so they last much longer than the pine pellet litter made for cats. They are biodegradable. They also clump around the poop. The urine turns them into sawdust and as long as there are pellets in the box, there will be no smell. Once all of the pellets have turned to sawdust, you can still use it for a while. Eventually they will become soaked with urine. Dump and refill before this happens as that is when it begins to smell. If you dump it while there are still pellets in the bottom, there will be little to no cleaning of the litter pan.

Will the cat try to eat it

For an outstanding scoopable, clumping, odor controlling cat litter, try using chicken feed or chick starter crumbles. This is available at feed stores and farm and home stores. It costs about $10.00 for a forty pound bag. I kept my old clay scoopable cat litter jugs and pour it into them. One bag will fill five of the twenty pound litter jugs.

We have 38 inside cats and we have cut our litter bill by two thirds. I feel that this does a better job of controlling odor than the clay scented litter. My only recommendation to ease litter box cleaning is a litter scoop called "Litter Lifter" you can find them on a Google search. This scoop is great with any litter, no more shaking the scoop, the clean litter just falls through the scoop.

By bober63841 from South East, MO

I'd really like to try this! I have 19 of my own, and it seems the litter costs more than the food. Acctually, that would make sense since the litter they use for 2 things not 1 (lol). My concern is, with something food-based, would it draw in bugs? I live in Florida, and we get red ants (nasty little biters!) and big palmetto bugs (the Godzilla of roaches!) Would open containers of cornmeal-like litter draw these things in? I already do battle to keep these critters out during the summer months-don't want to set a table and ring the dinner bell so to speak. Have you had any problems with creepy crawlies trying to eat your corn based litter?

For a cheap or free cat litter substitute, get wood shavings or sawdust from a woodworker or lumber company. It is absorbent, all-natural, and can be emptied in the compost or garden. It can also be swept up easily if spilled.

By Penny from Morris, NY

I never put Cat or Dog fecal matter in anything but a plastic bag and then in the garbage. Not healthy.

Thanks for sharing but not a good idea.

Did you ever think of using shredded newspapers for cat litter? It works!

I am so sick of my cat tracking his litter all over the house. Does anyone know an alternative? I feel like my floors are like being at a beach in Florida.

By Kristina

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would suggest finding or buying a synthetic mat with a shag pile, or a piece of artificial turf. Place under the litter tray, with plenty of room for puss to walk to and from and this will act as a 'broom' for puss's feet. Easy to pick up and shake off outside, and also hose off.

Check your stores and see if they sell the cat litter made from newspaper. It doesn't track. Also, there is a clear, bead type litter that doesn't track. My cats prefer the newspaper pellets.

Why can't we use sand or moss for cat litter than all of these artificial cat litters manufactured by companies?

By Caroline N.

You can use those items and also shredded newspapers IF you have a large supply. Most people do not live on a beach and have access to large amounts of sand. Moss takes time to grow and you need to microwave or bake it in an oven to kill the tiny insects that live in it. You can use shredded newspaper; but, do not use the glossy ad sheets. They all need to be changed daily and if you have several cats that is a lot of sand, moss, or newspaper.

Another thing that can be used is sawdust.

There are also commercial cat litters made from newspaper, pine, and corn if your objection is not to the cost; but, environmental.

It seems there was a hint for something you can get at the Farm and Feed store to use in the place of cat litter, can anyone tell me what it is?

By Mary

I saved that tip last year: this is a copy from my "Pet Tips" document, where I saved it:

Use Chicken Feed as Kitty Litter

We have 38 inside cats and we have cut our litter bill by two thirds. I feel that this does a better job of controlling odor than the clay scented litter. My only recommendation to ease litter box cleaning is a litter scoop called "Litter Lifter" you can find them on a Google search. This scoop is great with any litter, no more shaking the scoop, the clean litter just falls through the scoop. From ThriftyFun.com 12-22-10

Anonymous

38? you are both very brave!

1. Wood shavings

2. Sand and sawdust

3. Dirt or sand

4. Shredded paper from your paper shredder

These are all compatible with composting and can be used to make compost after kitty is done. If it makes you squeamish to use it on food crops, which I have done with no ill effects, just use it for your flowers or trees after composting.

By Sweet Pea from Butternuts, NY

Answers:

Kitty Litter Substitutes

Hello,
Thank you for the advice. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and it is our experience that wood shavings/sawdust can cause upper respiratory infections in cats. I would also be careful of the dirt as it can contain organisms that can cause illness. The paper shredding is a great idea. (04/01/2010)

By K9cats