Kitty Litter Substitutes

Category Cats
Kitty Litter Substitute
Some cat owners prefer to use substitute materials in their pet's litter box rather than commercially made products. This is a guide about kitty litter substitutes.

For an outstanding scoopable, clumping, odor controlling cat litter, try using chicken feed or chick starter crumbles. This is available at feed stores and farm and home stores. It costs about $10.00 for a forty pound bag. I kept my old clay scoopable cat litter jugs and pour it into them. One bag will fill five of the twenty pound litter jugs.

We have 38 inside cats and we have cut our litter bill by two thirds. I feel that this does a better job of controlling odor than the clay scented litter. My only recommendation to ease litter box cleaning is a litter scoop called "Litter Lifter" you can find them on a Google search. This scoop is great with any litter, no more shaking the scoop, the clean litter just falls through the scoop.

By bober63841 from South East, MO

Wood stove pellets at $5 for a 40 pound bag make a very nice cat litter. The pellets are made from hard wood so they last much longer than the pine pellet litter made for cats. They are biodegradable. They also clump around the poop. The urine turns them into sawdust and as long as there are pellets in the box, there will be no smell. Once all of the pellets have turned to sawdust, you can still use it for a while. Eventually they will become soaked with urine. Dump and refill before this happens as that is when it begins to smell. If you dump it while there are still pellets in the bottom, there will be little to no cleaning of the litter pan.

Did you ever think of using shredded newspapers for cat litter? Works for my cats! I got one of those big plastic "blanket bins" that you'd slide under a bed, and use it for me cat litter tray, placing the cover underneath it for easier sliding. Then I place a layer of folded newspaper sections in it to cover the bottom, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on top of that for deodorizing, and then begin to shred whole sections of newspaper into the tub, tearing them into 1 inch strips.

Be generous, I use a whole Sunday paper and fluff the strips up a bit when you're done. Just place this in the litterbox's usual place. It's cheap and easy to replace and takes care of two problems, eliminating the need for expensive cat litter, as well as recycling the newspaper in a really useful way as well!

Note: Maybe you should use the new bin with your regular litter for a little while, until they get use to the new tray. Also: A newspaper section is usually a bit serrated on one edge. That's the edge you'd tear from, to go with the grain and be able to tear even strips.

By Joanne

For a cheap or free cat litter substitute, get wood shavings or sawdust from a woodworker or lumber company. It is absorbent, all-natural, and can be emptied in the compost or garden. It can also be swept up easily if spilled.

By Penny from Morris, NY

I am so sick of my cat tracking his litter all over the house. Does anyone know an alternative? I feel like my floors are like being at a beach in Florida.

By Kristina

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would suggest finding or buying a synthetic mat with a shag pile, or a piece of artificial turf. Place under the litter tray, with plenty of room for puss to walk to and from and this will act as a 'broom' for puss's feet. Easy to pick up and shake off outside, and also hose off.

Check your stores and see if they sell the cat litter made from newspaper. It doesn't track. Also, there is a clear, bead type litter that doesn't track. My cats prefer the newspaper pellets.

It seems there was a hint for something you can get at the Farm and Feed store to use in the place of cat litter, can anyone tell me what it is?

By Mary

Answers

I saved that tip last year: this is a copy from my "Pet Tips" document, where I saved it:

Use Chicken Feed as Kitty Litter

We have 38 inside cats and we have cut our litter bill by two thirds. I feel that this does a better job of controlling odor than the clay scented litter. My only recommendation to ease litter box cleaning is a litter scoop called "Litter Lifter" you can find them on a Google search. This scoop is great with any litter, no more shaking the scoop, the clean litter just falls through the scoop. From ThriftyFun.com 12-22-10

Anonymous

38? you are both very brave!

Why can't we use sand or moss for cat litter than all of these artificial cat litters manufactured by companies?

By Caroline N.

You can use those items and also shredded newspapers IF you have a large supply. Most people do not live on a beach and have access to large amounts of sand. Moss takes time to grow and you need to microwave or bake it in an oven to kill the tiny insects that live in it. You can use shredded newspaper; but, do not use the glossy ad sheets. They all need to be changed daily and if you have several cats that is a lot of sand, moss, or newspaper.

Another thing that can be used is sawdust.

There are also commercial cat litters made from newspaper, pine, and corn if your objection is not to the cost; but, environmental.

1. Wood shavings

2. Sand and sawdust

3. Dirt or sand

4. Shredded paper from your paper shredder

These are all compatible with composting and can be used to make compost after kitty is done. If it makes you squeamish to use it on food crops, which I have done with no ill effects, just use it for your flowers or trees after composting.

By Sweet Pea from Butternuts, NY

Answers:

Kitty Litter Substitutes

Hello,
Thank you for the advice. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and it is our experience that wood shavings/sawdust can cause upper respiratory infections in cats. I would also be careful of the dirt as it can contain organisms that can cause illness. The paper shredding is a great idea. (04/01/2010)

By K9cats