Lawn Care Tips and Tricks

Category Lawn
Having a beautiful, weed free lawn can seem like a full time job. This is a guide about lawn care tips and tricks.

Growing Green and Healthy Grass

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing green and healthy grass. A beautiful green, healthy lawn is quite attractive. However, this is not achieved without some work on your part.

Grass with large dead patches

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fertilized lawn turned brown. Fertilizing your lawn is supposed to help it grow better and green up. It is confusing when a newly fertilized lawn turns brown.

Grandfather sitting in chair and helping Granddaughter water the lawn

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about chemical free lawn care. Children and pets play on our lawns, making it important to many homeowners to use safe lawn care products on their lawn.

Close up of lawn that is mostly dead with few green patches

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about re-establishing a lawn. Insect damage and weed infestation can require that you re-establish a healthy lawn.

Fresh green lawn with diffused sunlight though leaves

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about spring lawn care. After a long winter your lawn could probably use some loving care to spruce it up in the spring.

Lawn shaded by a large tree

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing a lawn in the shade. A soil test will help you know if your shady soil needs amending to grow nice grass.

Lawn with dead grass

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Fall Leaves on lawn being raked into a pile

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fall lawn care. For a healthy lawn next spring there are some things you can do in the fall to get a head start.

Hand spraying weed killer onto a largenweed that is in a perfect grass lawn

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Only certain formulations of weed killers will work to kill weeds but not your lawn. This is a guide about weed killer that won't kill grass.

Consider organic lawn care. The chemicals you put in your yard and on your lawn go affect our drinking water and wildlife.

Couple Looking at Bare Spots in Lawn

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about filling bare spots in a lawn. Bare spots can ruin the overall appearance of your lawn. Luckily there are several remedies for improving and getting rid of these unsightly patches.

I am on a very limited budget. How can I get a nice green lawn. I've planted grass seed, but it never seems to grow, but the weeds sure do. The location is hot and sunny. If there aren't weeds growing there, then it is hard baked earth. Any suggestions would be helpful. My zone is 4.

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Amelia from SD

Dont worry about the weeds. They'll stay nice and green.

Are you sure you're not cutting the grass too short? The grass shades seeds of weeds and prevents them from growing.

Look for writings by Jerry Baker. You can find him online.

Dont spend a lot of money on your grass. Grass is over rated. (rofl)

Good luck

Do you mix any water with the Miracle Lawn Tonic?

I sprayed too much weed killer on my lawn, now my lawn is a mess to look at.

By Elaine D

Water it really well, mow it short, and wait it out! With any luck, the grass will outgrow the weed killer. And, next time, read the directions first?

Anonymous

boiselawncare.net would say the same :) Been over this a few times in the last year on three separate lawns, 2 of which were from the same neighborhood!

What type of grass is this and what height should I mow it at? Thank you very much for your time and effort in this matter. Hopefully you help me out.

I accidentally used herbicide instead of fertilizer, my grass is beginning to yellow. Is there any way to reverse the effects?

By Don

Yikes! I don't think anything can be done, besides hoping that your herbicide isn't too effective. Why don't you look up your local county extension office and give them a call? It should be easy to find online.

A big oops. You have killed your lawn, and there isn't anything you can do beside water the bejeeburs out of the areas you've sprayed in hopes of flushing any residual herbicide out of the soil. You'll have bare spots everywhere you sprayed, and you shouldn't try to replant anytime soon. After everything is finished dying, treat the areas with a good compost, digging it to at least 18". Do that two or three times a week apart, then sow with some kind of 'green manure' type grass seed like rye.

Let those blades get about three-five inches long, then till the grass into the soil. Give it a couple of weeks to break down completely in the soil, and feed the soil with nitrogen in the process. Then replant with your preferred grass, for the best results.

These kinds of accidents happen in the home garden when chemicals are transferred from the commercial container to an old mayonnaise (or similar) jar. Never transfer a chemical from it's commercial and properly marked container to a recycled container-it is next to impossible to mark that recycled container reliably. Someone could spill the chemical, and cause the marking to be washed away. Someone could pull the homemade masking tape label off.

At the very least, by transferring chemical to an unmarked, recycled container, you have lost the vital emergency information printed by law on the original container. Or when a home sprayer is used-some folks leave the leftover chemical in the sprayer, then forget what is in it, then use it days later thinking it's what they need at the moment. It very rarely is. And it's hard to reliably recall what you did last in the garden with that sprayer.

Never leave leftover chemical in a home sprayer-it breaks down to a useless state, or becomes something different and potentially toxic to your garden, and you. Worse, some of the 'cides out there, if left in the sprayer, will etch and permeate the plastic of the sprayer. You'll be left with a sprayer you can only use for that particular 'cide. This is such a common occurence many landscape maintenance companies have different sprayers for each type of 'cide and other chemicals (feeds, etc).

If I want to level my lawn during the winter by adding soil on top. Will it kill or harm the grass?

By S Lewis

Are there any lawn and garden aficionados that can help this city girl keep up with the Jones'? I'm losing my grass to weeds. It seems to have stopped its summer growth, or at least slowed down in the last few weeks. I found a missing (unopened) bag of lawn food / weed killer in the garage. If I sprinkle some on now, will my poor neglected lawn suffer, or be better for it? The temp right now is mid 70's - high 60's. Would I be better off waiting till early spring?

Doggy from TX

Try putting some lime down now for making your soil sweet. I also read to put down regular granulated sugar a week or so later just before a hard rain or you have to water it in. I'm assuming that it discourages ants-they would have a good time in that sugar. I use 5# per every 5,000 sq. ft. These 2 procedures are supposed to sweeten your soil & feed the good micro-organisms that feed on weed roots. This is only my second time with the sugar so I can't guarantee it works but it can't hurt. I did this in the spring & did it again this fall. Good luck!

At your local garden center there are WINTERIZER fertilizers with a weed preventer. They are cheap but be sure to use the correct amount. You will most likely need a spreader. (maybe borrow one?) They all have settings on them that allow you to distibute just the right amount. The back of the fertilizer bag will tell you what to put the setting on. Don't wait too late, the weather gets too cold quickly for fertilzer and you don't want active growing in the winter either.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for getting your lawns green?

By Bobbie