Leaving a Cat Alone While on Vacation

There are ways to leave your cat safely and well fed while you are gone for a few days. This guide is about leaving a cat while on vacation.

My neighbors left for a funeral and a graduation out of town. They will be gone a week. They left their cat locked up in the garage with tons of food and water. It will be around 85 outside everyday. I said won't she get over heated and the lady said no the garage stays around 60 unless it is like 100 outside for days. Will the cat be ok? I'm worried about oxygen and the heat. She is a very social cat too. She loves people and I have checked on her for 2 days now by looking in the windows. Today she was meowing wanting out. She is mostly an outside cat. They never left a cell number or key to help if needed. I'm worried.

I would call the ASPCA. You can call the police too. I did that once when I saw a dog in a locked car on a stifling day.

Agree with Pariser!!! The garage will be nearing 100 on the hot days.

a garage is a lot different then a car, there is surely some air getting in there. i wouldn't involve the authorities unless you see the cat panting, stumbling or walking in circles. those are all signs of distress.

This is a tough question because it involves a living pet and the wrong decision might have an ugly outcome.

Do you know anyone related or maybe friends with your neighbors that you could call or visit to discuss this matter with? I'm assuming the person who told you about the temperature in the garage was the owner of the cat so it does appear they gave it some thought before making the decision to leave the cat alone for this long period.

Since you are very concerned about the cat's health I cannot see any reason why you should not call your local humane society and explain the situation to them. I believe they can make a better decision about whether the cat is okay for the time being or if she needs to be removed. If the decision is made to remove the cat, they would then be responsible for contacting local authorities.

This is a lucky cat to have someone (not their owner) to care enough to be concerned about their well being.

That is a tough one. The cat would "probably" be fine in the garage if the temperatures are not too hot. My garage gets stifling in the hot summer but I know it is not well insulated. Perhaps theirs is better.

I'm sure the poor thing is confused and I bet there is going to be quite a mess to clean up when the people return, being an outside cat. I wish they had asked you to check on the cat or found another solution.

If you call the Humane Society or the police, they can advise you and possibly take action. But your neighbors are going to find out that someone called them if the police decide to break into the garage and remove the cat. And I imagine your neighbors will know that it was you. That surely would make your future living next door to each other awkward.

Please let us know how it turns out. Thank you for being such a caring person.

I am on holiday for 10 days and this is only day 2. I am so worried about Kylie my 4 year old cat. I have a really good neighbour who is going in twice a day to feed and do the necessary. I have only had her 1 year and before I had her she was a indoor cat. Now she loves outside, as I live in a tenement which has a large back garden and over the wall there is a huge cemetery where all the cats seem hang around.

My worry is that after I got her she was scared to go outside. My neighbour has 2 cats and said after a couple of days she would let her out and check on her to let her back in the flat. My worry is that she will be lonely with being left in a lot and when she gets out she won't come back. I love her so much and am thinking I will have to go home. My neghbour said cats always come home as they know where there food is. She sometimes goes away for hours when I am there, but she sees me every day and sleeps on the bed with me.

By Ray

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Have you ever heard of Cattery Boarding Kennels?

Can you call your neighbor to get an update? I can understand your worry. It does sound like you set things up well for your cat to be taken care of. You could make a quick trip home to check on things but things will probably work out OK.

Ask your neighbor NOT to let your cat out while you are away... she will be safer in the house. Cats do NOT always come back! Just ask one of the thousands of people who have lost their cats. Keep your cat inside until you get home. It's only a few days and you won't worry as much.

I would also suggest not to have her outside while you're gone. It will give you peace of mind.

Is it OK to leave my 8 month old kitten home alone for 3-4 days? I will make sure it safe for her, and leave plenty of food and water.

By Shannon A. from Ft. Myers, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Please, no, no, no! Kittens can get themselves into troublesome situations in a flash; ones you wouldn't think could even be possible. Partly because of the extremely curious nature cats have, partly due to boredom and due to extreme loneliness. My experience with cats is that they're FAR from aloof & stand-offish. They get nervous & insecure if left for too long, especially the younger they are, & if left with no other buddies (cat/dog). Think about leaving a human toddler alone that long...yikes! Ideally you'll find someone to stay with your fur baby/watch her at their home or at least to pay a visit once/day. Good luck.

I agree with Maureen. You would need to find someone who will check on her twice a day or so. Petsitters will do this for money of course (about $20) per visit. A pet oriented friend would be even better. Good luck to you.

Never, ever leave an animal alone for that long. Maureen Boyle is right on every point. For pete sake, find a pet sitter. Someone you can trust.

Have you heard of Boarding Kennels?

I live in Thailand and have an outdoor cat. She's 18 months old and very independent. She's gone most of the day (she has her own access through a window) and only comes in late at night to sleep until very early in the morning when she takes off again (after something to eat). I plan to go away for 3 weeks and don't want to leave her in a kennel.

Here the only option is to leave her at the vet's in a small cage where she won't be let out to play. I figured that would be more cruel! I'll have a friend visit every day to replenish her food and water, but the only friend willing to do this won't have the time to spend to play with her. Do I risk her running away to find me? Would she be okay, providing she always has food and water and access to her bed inside?

By Solieri

Answer Was this helpful? 1

There is clearly some risk, but it sounds to me like it would work.

With no disrespect but what do you have against Registered Licensed Boarding Kennels that invite you to inspect their property during Kennel hours?

I know of people who have done this successfully but they had very reliable people who bought the food around for the cat - the risks are of course that some other animal may eat the food , plus if the cat gets injured or hurt in some way that no-one is there to attend to it. You have to weigh up the thought of loss and injury against the safety of a kennel - chances are the cat won't leave as long as the food is always there . Good luck

What are the dangers of leaving an indoor cat in the home for 30 days if they are checked only twice per week. They are accustomed to being alone for 8 hours per day.

By Sharon S. from Huntington, WV

Anonymous

The thing I always make sure to do in hot weather is the same thing hamnurse suggests, and that is leave the air conditioner on. Just like people animals can get heat stroke.

I never leave my cat (nor any cats over the past three decades) without someone I trust coming in every single day. I offer them to have free reign and hang out to watch movies, eat if they want to, and stay the night if they want to as a vacation from their own home ;-) They have fun and kitty has company ;-)

I would make sure someone comes in at least twice a week and check food and water. I would make sure air condition is left on maybe a little higher than if you were home but please leave on. Homes do get hot if no air condition is on.

I don't think twice a week is enough really - perhaps you could get your friend to come every day just to check - I lived next door to someone who did this for their dogs and I was at the point of calling the animal welfare people because the access door slammed shut and they were left locked in the laundry with no food and water - also cats need their water changed every day.

Your cat is not going to like being alone for all this time. If it was my cat, I would like it to be checked every day. However, if safety is the only issue, it depends very much on the cat. I am not concerned that my cat would get himself stuck someplace, as he is very non-adventuresome. Some cats might have a tendency to get into trouble with all this time on their hands-- exploring in the furnace room and so on. In the past, I have taken my cats to stay at a friend's house, but the cats I have now would be very upset by this. They would prefer to be home alone rather than be at another house, or to be put in a boarding kennel. If this is the best arrangement you can make, to be checked only twice a week, it may have to do, and your cat should be safe, but likely disgruntled when you return. I wonder if it would be possible for you to find a neighbour kid who could come over and play with the cat daily, or a few times a week, in addition to the person who is coming to check the house. Even if all this kid did was lounge on your couch, watch TV, and pet the cat for an hour or so, it would dramatically improve your cat's mood.

Cats are not as independent as people would like to think. They are social creatures, and need plenty of attention. Twice a week for a full month is not enough attention for the poor thing, especially without another feline companion.

There are dangers in all sorts of things too.I came home to find one of my cats dead, strangled in a bedspread fringe once. It was extremely traumatic, as I consider my cats members of my family.

I would enlist more friends and neighbours to come by, so ideally kitty is visited once per day.

I would put out more litter boxes too. My cousin had her mom look after her cat; Mom shut the bedroom door, cutting off kitty's access to her poopy box. Kitty used the leather couch instead!

Many insurance policies are void if your house is not checked daily as well.

I do not believe that only twice a week is often enough. You need someone to check on your cat(s) at least once per day to make sure that they are okay, to clean out the litter box(es), and to make sure there is clean water and food.

I wpuld NEVER leave a pet again in a boarding kennel. Firstly, we had a great dog that would NEVER go the the bathroom any where except out side. We told the people at the kennel that, and we were gone 3 days, and he hadn't done one thing because all they did was open the gate to the outside cement run, he would not go on the floor. He was quite ill after those three days and we had to take him directly to the vet from the kennel.

Secondly, I worked in a kennel, for a VERY short time, I don't know about them all, but after their people left, they were sedated and put in much crampier crates or cages. And some of the cats were put in cages with other cats they didn't know. I worked there for 1 week and refused to treat the animals that way and quit, it was a nightmare to see. I would stay home if I did not have another alternative , like family or friends to come in.

Please advise me. I'm going away for approx. 10-11 days, but I'm so scared and concerned that my little kitten's too small/young to be left alone for that long, even if I would arrange for a friend to come and look after her (food, water etc.). She's only 3 months old. Please help me. Is it dangerous to leave such a young one alone? Will she get traumatised? Many thanks in advance for your kind advice.

I really appreciate your reply, I would rather cancel the holiday, because she comes first!

Thanks again.

By Linn

Cats are pretty independent creatures. At 3 mos old she's a young 'un, but she should be ok on her own. She might be a little lonely, but not traumatised. You will definitely want someone to look in on her regularly. If a friend pops in every 2 days or so that should be fine.

Just remember common sense. Keep everything that might be hazardous packed away. Make sure windows without/or with flimsy screens are closed. Put toilet seats down.

Leave out food with plenty of water. If she normally eats wet food, you can supplement with a bowl of dry food as well. After that you are good to go. Enjoy your trip!

Please do not leave this kitten alone for that long! Even with having someone to take care of food and water, a cat or a dog can get into so many difficult situations. A cat's natural curiosity makes your kitten even more vulnerable to getting hurt. If you must be away, board the kitten at your vet's office or a reputable kennel. At any rate, never leave an ainmal alone for any length of time. Be a responsible pet parent.