Having Someone Care for Cats While You Are Gone

I have 2 cats that are sisters. I'm going on vacation for 7 days and have hired someone to come in daily to scoop litter, check their food and water, and try to play with them. My question is, will they be OK? I'm worrying so much I'm ready to cancel my vacation and it is my and my husband's 15th wedding anniversary trip.

Please help.

I understand your anxiety. You could check with your veterinarian for recommendations on a sitter. Cats are more independent than we sometimes give them credit for, and as sisters they certainly will be comfortable and just fine. Have a wonderful trip, and just ask the sitter to send you a message once a day.

Thank you!

They will be fine! Dont forget, they also have each other

Thank you!

Cats have been in my extended family for many years and I can understand why you would be concerned as it is true that animals can become depressed when they are taken out of their regular routine and mixed with strangers.

But they will not be alone - they have each other - and they are staying home - a very important difference. I assume the person checking on them is someone they have met/seen before and if that is the case then I cannot see any reason for you to miss/skip what seems like a very important vacation.

If the person is not familiar then perhaps you could have them visit a couple of times before you leave; just so the babies can get their scent and see them associate with you.

Your cats will have their regular hiding places and their own sleeping quarters so I think they will be fine for 7 days.

Why not ask the sitter to take a picture of them each day and send it to your cell phone? You may miss them more than they will miss you if the caretaker is a cat loving person.

Hope your vacation turns out great.

Thank you for your help. I have used this service before but was only gone 3days the time, so they are familiar with them, just hope they remember them.

I have cat sat for years and years and years. I always go visit them a few times before being left alone with them. Make sure to give the sitter your phone number, their vet's number, all of their hiding places, explicit instruction for their food and water needs, and any other things you think they need to know. If they know what is to be expected (the sitters) they will have a comfort level with their care.

I always send my charges human parents photos from my visit with the cat (s) so they know they are being well cared for. I keep getting asked back to sit, so I must be doing something right. Prepping the sitter is the best thing you can do...gives everyone a good comfort level.

Leave a few things that smell like you for the sitter to give the cats if they seem despondent. One cat mom would leave a tee shirt and if her gal got sad, I would lay the shirt out on the kitty's bed and it helped.

Relax and enjoy your trip!! Blessings on your anniversary!

Thank you so much. The last time I used these gals they did send m pictures which i loved. But good idea about leaving out one of my shirts, great idea.

It really does work!!! Just be sure it is one they can't ruin.

A tee shirt works well. Wear it the day before and then have it available for the sitters. RELAX!!!

You got some great advice here. I think your kitties will be just fine. You certainly have done everything you can think of to make sure they are happy. Have a wonderful vacation. I am sure you deserve it.

Thank you so much