Neighbor's Cat Left Alone in Garage

My neighbors left for a funeral and a graduation out of town. They will be gone a week. They left their cat locked up in the garage with tons of food and water. It will be around 85 outside everyday. I said won't she get over heated and the lady said no the garage stays around 60 unless it is like 100 outside for days. Will the cat be ok? I'm worried about oxygen and the heat. She is a very social cat too. She loves people and I have checked on her for 2 days now by looking in the windows. Today she was meowing wanting out. She is mostly an outside cat. They never left a cell number or key to help if needed. I'm worried.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I would call the ASPCA. You can call the police too. I did that once when I saw a dog in a locked car on a stifling day.

Agree with Pariser!!! The garage will be nearing 100 on the hot days.

a garage is a lot different then a car, there is surely some air getting in there. i wouldn't involve the authorities unless you see the cat panting, stumbling or walking in circles. those are all signs of distress.

This is a tough question because it involves a living pet and the wrong decision might have an ugly outcome.
Do you know anyone related or maybe friends with your neighbors that you could call or visit to discuss this matter with? I'm assuming the person who told you about the temperature in the garage was the owner of the cat so it does appear they gave it some thought before making the decision to leave the cat alone for this long period.
Since you are very concerned about the cat's health I cannot see any reason why you should not call your local humane society and explain the situation to them. I believe they can make a better decision about whether the cat is okay for the time being or if she needs to be removed. If the decision is made to remove the cat, they would then be responsible for contacting local authorities.

This is a lucky cat to have someone (not their owner) to care enough to be concerned about their well being.

That is a tough one. The cat would "probably" be fine in the garage if the temperatures are not too hot. My garage gets stifling in the hot summer but I know it is not well insulated. Perhaps theirs is better.

I'm sure the poor thing is confused and I bet there is going to be quite a mess to clean up when the people return, being an outside cat. I wish they had asked you to check on the cat or found another solution.

If you call the Humane Society or the police, they can advise you and possibly take action. But your neighbors are going to find out that someone called them if the police decide to break into the garage and remove the cat. And I imagine your neighbors will know that it was you. That surely would make your future living next door to each other awkward.

Please let us know how it turns out. Thank you for being such a caring person.