Nail TipsBeauty

Leftover Lemons for Nail Brightening

After using lemons in drinks and recipes, I store them in a container in the fridge to use when my nails need a bit of a pick-me-up. Using nail polishes can leave stains on your fingernails, even with a light base coat. With clean fingers and nails, dip your fingertips into the lemons and twist. The alpha-hydroxy acid in the lemon will brighten your nail fibers and break down any other grime in your nails. Rinse with water, dry, and apply a hand lotion or oil. Your nails will look so fresh!

Top Comment

I was granted my cosmetologists license in 1962. In all those years, I never heard of this. I do know lemon juice has a slight bleaching effect on hair. With nails being composed of basically the same component as hair (keratin), it stands to reason it would 'brighten' them as well.

You Go Girl!

Top Comment

Yes, it totally works. My mum used to do it when I was a kid. Back then I had no need to brighten anything ;) Now, these peels and pulp are my life!

My sons always used lemon water to brighten their already blond hair and now that I have some of those "age" spots my dermatologist tells me that lemon juice and Aloe are the best homemade fixer. Have to try that one day and now another nice tip for those pretty yellow "fruits".

thanks for reminding us there is still life left after lemonade!

Betty