Lemon Cookie Recipes

Category Cookies
Lemon Cookies
A favorite citrus flavored treat to serve with tea or anytime. This page contains lemon cookie recipes.

This is one of the easiest cookie recipes ever. Only 3 ingredients and they are oh so delicious!

Directions:

Mix ingredients together. Make into balls and roll in powdered sugar. Cook at 350 degrees F until lightly brown.

Source: This recipe came from a TV show in Nashville, TN called "Talk of the Town".

By Diane P from White House, TN

Ingredients

• 1 box lemon cake mix (if you can find it, get the kind with pudding in the mix)
  • 1 reg. size container Cool Whip, thawed
  • 1 extra large egg or 1-1/2 large eggs
  • Plate of powdered sugar to roll cookies in

Directions

Mix ingredients. Take 2 spoons (dough will be sticky) and scrape them off each spoon into powdered sugar and roll. Bake on parchment paper or lightly greased baking sheet in 350 degree F oven for 11-14 minutes, depending on how chewy you want them and how your oven bakes.

Bake less time for chewy, lemony cookies, cook longer for cake-like cookies. If you like them chewy and lemony, start with about 10 minutes and pull them out. They will look glossy and underbaked but will firm up and be chewy. They are the best if they set a couple of days before eating.

By Elaine from Eastern Iowa

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice from concentrate
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • Lemon Glaze (See Recipe Below)

Directions

Combine all ingredients except flour and lemon glaze; with mixer, beat until well blended. Beat in flour. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour. On well floured surface, knead one dough portion into a smooth ball. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool. Repeat with dough scraps and remaining dough. Decorate with lemon glaze. Store tightly covered.

Lemon Glaze

With mixer, beat together 4 cup unsifted confectioners' sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Divide glaze and tint with food coloring, if desired.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

Cream shortening and sugar well. Add egg, lemon juice and lemon rind. Mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill dough. Shape into balls the size of a walnut. Dip into sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I want to make lemon cookies using a cake mix. All I have are white and yellow mixes. How do I make the ingredient changes?

By Sue from Hiouchi, CA

I wonder if you could add a lemon pudding to the white cake mix?

You might try adding some lemon flavoring, like maybe a tablespoon. Or add a tsp. of flavoring and grate some lemon rind in the cake. I usually keep the dried rind in my spices. If you don't have any of those ingredients, I don't think there is much you can do.

I have seen recipes online to make cookies from cake mixes. I don't know if it was on the cake mix sites or on different recipe sites. I have always thought it was kind of a neat idea.

I agree with adding lemon juice and/or lemon extract plus grated lemon rind. I would also add it to the icing. For the cake mix cookies here's the recipe. 1 box cake mix, any flavor. 1 stick butter/margerine and 2 eggs. Batter will be thick. Beat all the ingriedents together in a large bowl. Drop the cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet by the teaspoon full (I use a cookie scoop) and bake for 8-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. You can add any ingredients you like. My favorite is to take orange cake mix and add 1 cup of white chocolate chips and just follow the directions above. These are quick, easy and delicious.

Ingredients

• 2 (18.25 oz.) package lemon cake mix
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 box instant lemon pudding
  • juice of one lemon* (less if you like them sweeter)
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

*For a more intense lemon add some of grated lemon peel

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (190 degrees C). Add cake mix, pudding and lemon peel if using, into a large bowl, whisk to combine . Stir eggs, oil, and lemon until well blended. Add to cake mixture and stir to combine. Let stand 5-10 min to thicken.

Roll teaspoonful of dough into balls and drop into a bowl of confectioners' sugar (I use a Melon baller, it is less messy). Roll them around until they're lightly covered. If toddlers are the primary eaters, skip the confectioners sugar (think sticky fingers and walls).

Once sugared, put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart (when I pick them up with my fingers they flatten a bit, put a flat side down and they won't roll as you move the pan). The parchment keeps them from sticking. Bake for 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven. If baking more than one pan rotate and turn after 5 min. The bottoms will be light brown, and the insides chewy. For a crisper cookie bake a couple of more min. Dark pans take the less time, shinny pans take the longer time. Let sit on pan for a few min. and transfer cookies to racks to cool. If using the same pan for another batch and it is warm it will take less time in the oven.

Variations:

1. For a less intense lemon flavored cookie use yellow cake mix.
  2. Sprinkle with lemon sugar after they come out of the oven or the last minute or two in the oven. Press a lemon drop into each cookie before cooking.
  3. If you have a soft cookie it heats well in the microwave, served with ice cream
  4. Change lemon for chocolate - cake, pudding, and add mini chocolate chips instead of lemon juice and rind.

By Scott E. from Chicago

Answers:

Lemon Cookies

You can make Orange cookies like this, too, using orange juice to a yellow or white cake mix and some grated orange rind.

Frosting: can make an orange flavored simple frosting either homemade or to a tub of prepared frosting: add some yellow and red food coloring to make the exact shade of orange and along with some grated orange rind and a very small amount of orange extract or orange juice. (08/14/2008)

By badwater