Life After Acrylic Nails

I'm letting my nails grow out from gel wraps and Acrylic nails. I've been cutting them short, but now that they are half "my nail" and half what's left of the Gel nail, I can see how soft and weak they are.

Should I remove the remaining Gel part? If yes, how? Should I let it grow out on it's own? I know that very soon what's left of the Gel is going to pop off. What's the best thing to do to help the new nail that's coming in?

What do I do once it's all grown out to strengthen them? Please help. I tried to let them grow out once before, but my real nails were so thin they bled and hurt so I went back to the Gels. I don't want to do that this time. Thank you for any help you can give.

By MAK13

Answers:

Life After Acrylic Nails

I used to work in a nail salon and we promoted natural nails, so we had a lot of people come in with damage. There is a product called 'Nail Tek'. I am not sure if places like Sally's sells it, you might have to get it from a salon. It works great as a repairing agent and as a strengthener, but you have to commit to using it everyday for best results. You have to put on an application every day. Hope this helps! (07/31/2009)

By chickenparents

Life After Acrylic Nails

It took me forever to get decent nails back after using acrylic nails for only 3 months. Here's what finally helped me, along with time, is I take prenatal vitamins (no I'm not pregnant). Skin, Hair, and Nails (I don't get the same effect from substitutes), and a calcium supplement. I wish people realized just what damage fake nails can do. (08/01/2009)

By Tripleb

Life After Acrylic Nails

As a manicurist, I lead many a hand-holding process with this. It is difficult, but it works. Use acetone in a bowl, (covered with a towel, not plastic, and disposable) and remove that gel. Get WarmOLotion from Sally's, as well as Renuanail or a NailTek knock off. One coat a day, with the lotion several times a day, and wait. Keep nails short, and you might just get good natural nails. Manicures help, and the beauty college is cheap, cheap. Your nails will grow out thicker, and you won't worry about mold or fungus (I had a client that had to have three fingertips amputated-it's not worth it!). Good luck! (08/02/2009)

By damaged05170

Life After Acrylic Nails

Hi,
I had acrylic nails for over 10 years. My nails were never healthy to begin with, being I'm a smoker, poor eater and am not good at taking supplements regularly. However, a friend just told me about Rejuvacote by Duri Cosmetics out of Brooklyn, which she learned about from a 90+ aunt of a friend. Within one week I have noticed an amazing difference. While I still break one once in a while, I have much faith that this product will make a complete difference in the end. She has been using it since last fall and hasn't broken a nail since November! I see her everyday as we work together and I see the results. I would definitely give it a try!

Good luck. Diane (08/05/2009)

By dyan818

Life After Acrylic Nails

Never having had really good natural nails to begin with I also attempted the artificial. After some pretty bad damage to my natural nails I started taking a 600mg Calcium pill with Vitamin A (twice daily) and now have the best, longest, hardest nails I've ever had. I also use a lotion on my nails any time they have been in water and would also recommend the Sally product mentioned below by damaged05170. Good luck on your new natural nails! (08/09/2009)

By xstchr92

Woman looking at nails through a magnifying glass with distaste
Life After Acrylic Nails
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎄