Applying Acrylic Nails at Home

Category Nail Tips
Acrylic nails are often done in a salon. However, there are kits you can get to do your own acrylic nails at home.

I purchased an acrylic nail kit for about $7 at Food City. I had previously watched several tutorials on YouTube. I had an overall positive experience, except I didn't put enough of the mixture on my nails, and I trimmed the nails before putting them on.

I took pictures of how they turned out, and I love them!  I put the three-dollar nail stick-on wraps from Dollar General.  I will be doing this again when the time comes.  Here are my photographs ;)

After applying acrylic and all said in done. I notice after a day or two they start to lift. Why? What am I doing wrong and what can I do to keep from having this happen again?

By Magan V.

Answers

Best Answer

Make sure to get all oil off natural nails and push cuticles back and lightly buff the nail plate.

This is my very first time doing this at home. I normally go to a salon, but just figured I would save some money. My question is, when you do your own nails at home, do you have to use the dehydrating liquid and do you have to use the nail primer? Those are the only two things I didn't buy.

By Ashley

Answers

Best Answer

Yes you do need them, unless your acrylic liquid has a built in primer then you only need dehydrator.

I was wondering, can I use krazy glue instead nail glue, it sticks better for longer?

Erica

Answers:

Applying Acrylic Nails

I've used it instead for years. It not only lasts longer but you get 2 for $1.00 at your local Dollar General. It's all everyone I know uses. (05/04/2005)

By Laura

Applying Acrylic Nails

I used to apply acrylic nails. I stopped when I found out how unhealthy they are. When you get a fungus it's hard to remove them, then you have to treat the fungus for a while, then it takes about a year for the nails to grow back. Why women do this is a mystery to me. Those long nails are also a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria, and if you don't take a brush and scrub under them each time you wash your hands they're still there.. I often wonder how many times people get sick and wonder what the heck it was, and don't even consider passing that bacteria on in food they have prepared, at home, at potlucks, etc. Think about it. (05/04/2005)

By Dotty

Applying Acrylic Nails

I was told not to use superglue on your nails because of the fungus. And I was warned about using acrylic nails for a lengthy period of time for the same reason. Acrylic weakens the nails. Did you know there are nail strengthening products on the market that work. There is a product, I think Sally Hansen, that works like a wrap. Put on two coats. Also, filing your nails in a severe oval weakens your nails. (05/05/2005)

By Gloria