Liver and Onions

Not a favorite of mine, but my dad has always loved liver and we used to have some for him on a regular basis. This really makes me think of my childhood years.

• approx. 1/2-3/4 lb. bacon
  • approx. 2 lb. liver
  • lots of onions
  • flour
  • 2 bouillon cubes
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 1/2 cups water

Directions:

Fry bacon. Flour livers. Fry liver in bacon drippings. Fry onions. Stir flour into drippings. Add 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water, 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Liver and Onions

It's so funny that I saw this post this morning; yesterday at dinner my daughter was telling my grandkids that depending on what foods you're brought up with, that's what you'll prefer when you're an adult. I said I begged to differ. My folks loved liver and onions but I couldn't stand it when I was little, and I can't stand it as an adult. Some tastes never change! Thanks for the memory! (07/13/2009)

By caseye

Liver and Onions

Yes, It must be a generational thing. My Mom would fix liver and onions for us during the 50's. Not a hit with the kids, but then you ate what was put before you. When I grew up I thought maybe it was a Midwest regional favorite, since she was from Missouri. Carl Sandburg had a line about liver and onions in one of his poems from "Rootabaga Stories". But I live in Hawaii now, my friend (born and raised here) said her Mom would fix it too. (07/19/2009)

By pigeon toes