Make Your Own Rooting Hormone

Plants often root more successfully when you use a rooting hormone, but you don't have to buy a commercial product. This is a guide about how to make your own rooting hormone.

June 3, 2013 Flag

I read somewhere that Weeping Willow branches don't need rooting hormone. In fact, if you take a branch and boil it in some water, that will itself make rooting hormone for other plants to grow roots.

I don't plan on planting one in the yard but I think it is nifty that a branch from this tree will cause other plants to root out. I am taking a gardening course too. Of course not having that, I use honey as a rooting hormone when I need one.

Where do I get willow branches if there are no willow trees anywhere around here?

Right, again, Robyn

But you really don't need to boil the branches. It's good to just peel the tender bark from the branches, cover with water and let set for a couple days.

July 27, 2010 Flag

Use honey as a rooting hormone. Prepare cuttings and dip ends of the cuttings in honey.

By tip-tip from St. Louis, MO

Hi. Thanks for the tip. Home made rooting hormone compounds come in handy. I've heard of putting willow branches cut into 1'' lengths and put in a jar of water. After about a week take out the branches and the liquid is supposed to be the compound. I wonder if it would work with any fast rooting plant? I have a scrub tree in my back yard. All I have to do is nick one of the roots and it sends up shoots like crazy.

Phil

November 16, 2007 Flag

Making your own rooting hormone with willow water. Here's what you do: Get a handful of willow twigs (any Salix species will do).

October 17, 2010 Flag

I know you can make your own rooting hormone dip with willow branches. But can you make it with other rigorous rooting plants such as mulberry bushes by soaking their branches or roots in water for a while? What about kudzu?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Phillip from Michigan City, IN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I prefer to use honey as a rooting hormone, and it helps to keep rot from setting in also.

Blessings,

Robyn

Robyn, do you mix the honey with water first, or use it undiluted? Thanks, Nica

I dip the tip of my cuttings into honey. This works as well as any purchased rooting hormone. jjs w palm fla.

bsvgs - dip the ends of the cuttings in honey (no water)

Honey are sometimes adulterated. How do I identify quality honey

May 5, 2013 Flag

I recently saw a gardener using honey as a propagating hormone. Was the honey raw honey or will processed honey also work?

By Jackie P.

As far as I know honey doesn't have any hormones in it that plants would use for growing roots. However, I could be very wrong about that! Honey is a really good anti-bacterial agent, which would help to keep diseases out of the plant's wound opening while it grows roots of its own accord. I haven't tried using honey on cuttings but I'm certainly going to give it a shot!

Home and Garden Gardening RootingFebruary 6, 2013
A weeping cherry tree.
Rooting Fruit Tree Cuttings
Poplar Tree Cutting
Starting Poplar Tree Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
Rooting Plants
Rooting Plants
🎉
🎄