Make Your Own Rooting Hormone

Category Rooting
Plants often root more successfully when you use a rooting hormone, but you don't have to buy a commercial product. This is a guide about how to make your own rooting hormone.

I read somewhere that Weeping Willow branches don't need rooting hormone. In fact, if you take a branch and boil it in some water, that will itself make rooting hormone for other plants to grow roots.

I don't plan on planting one in the yard but I think it is nifty that a branch from this tree will cause other plants to root out. I am taking a gardening course too. Of course not having that, I use honey as a rooting hormone when I need one.

Sounds dodgy. Hormones are almost surely destroyed by the heat of a boiling solution

A jar of honey.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Honey is a great natural alternative to chemical rooting based rooting hormones. This is a guide about using honey to root cuttings.

Making your own rooting hormone with willow water.

Here's what you do:

Now remember since this method isn't very exact, the strength of the willow water can vary depending on the time of year, the number of twigs, the concentration of hormones in the twigs, and the amount of time that the twigs were soaked. You will, however, still get a solution that will help your plants root.

By Sherry from Silverdale, WA

In the spring when new growth begins would probably be the better time to take cuttings.

Simmering the twigs for a few minutes, then let soak over night should help the process along.

I know you can make your own rooting hormone dip with willow branches. But can you make it with other rigorous rooting plants such as mulberry bushes by soaking their branches or roots in water for a while? What about kudzu?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Phillip from Michigan City, IN

I prefer to use honey as a rooting hormone, and it helps to keep rot from setting in also.

Blessings,

Robyn

Robyn, do you mix the honey with water first, or use it undiluted? Thanks, Nica

I dip the tip of my cuttings into honey. This works as well as any purchased rooting hormone. jjs w palm fla.

bsvgs - dip the ends of the cuttings in honey (no water)

Honey are sometimes adulterated. How do I identify quality honey

How long should i dip in honey? Overnight or until rooting is visible?

Anonymous

you dip the cutting into the honey after you make the cut....you then need to put the cutting into a growing medium such as Rockwood cubes or a product I use called root riot......they are sponge like blocks that hold moisture and support the cutting while it roots....the roots actually grow right through the blocks and you can plant them directly in soil.