Make Your Own Rooting Hormone

Plants often root more successfully when you use a rooting hormone, but you don't have to buy a commercial product. This is a guide about how to make your own rooting hormone.

January 18, 2017 Flag

A jar of honey.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Honey is a great natural alternative to chemical rooting based rooting hormones. This is a guide about using honey to root cuttings.

June 3, 2013 Flag

I read somewhere that Weeping Willow branches don't need rooting hormone. In fact, if you take a branch and boil it in some water, that will itself make rooting hormone for other plants to grow roots.

I don't plan on planting one in the yard but I think it is nifty that a branch from this tree will cause other plants to root out. I am taking a gardening course too. Of course not having that, I use honey as a rooting hormone when I need one.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Right, again, Robyn

But you really don't need to boil the branches. It's good to just peel the tender bark from the branches, cover with water and let set for a couple days.

November 16, 2007 Flag

Making your own rooting hormone with willow water.

Here's what you do:

Now remember since this method isn't very exact, the strength of the willow water can vary depending on the time of year, the number of twigs, the concentration of hormones in the twigs, and the amount of time that the twigs were soaked. You will, however, still get a solution that will help your plants root.

By Sherry from Silverdale, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In the spring when new growth begins would probably be the better time to take cuttings.

Simmering the twigs for a few minutes, then let soak over night should help the process along.

October 17, 2010 Flag

I know you can make your own rooting hormone dip with willow branches. But can you make it with other rigorous rooting plants such as mulberry bushes by soaking their branches or roots in water for a while? What about kudzu?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Phillip from Michigan City, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I prefer to use honey as a rooting hormone, and it helps to keep rot from setting in also.

Blessings,

Robyn

Robyn, do you mix the honey with water first, or use it undiluted? Thanks, Nica

I dip the tip of my cuttings into honey. This works as well as any purchased rooting hormone. jjs w palm fla.

bsvgs - dip the ends of the cuttings in honey (no water)

Honey are sometimes adulterated. How do I identify quality honey

Home and Garden Gardening RootingFebruary 6, 2013
Poplar Tree Cutting
Starting Poplar Tree Cuttings
A jar of honey.
Using Honey to Root Cuttings
Rooting a Spider Plant - spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
Rooting Plants
Rooting Plants
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 2:37:43 PM on 10.0.0.78 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.