Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Make Your Own Rooting Hormone

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Rooting Hormone

Plants often root more successfully when you use a rooting hormone, but you don't have to buy a commercial product. This is a guide about how to make your own rooting hormone.

Solutions: Make Your Own Rooting Hormone

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use Honey as a Rooting Hormone for Cuttings

Use honey as a rooting hormone. Prepare cuttings and dip ends of the cuttings in honey.

By tip-tip from St. Louis, MO

Tip: Boil Weeping Willow Branches for Rooting Hormone

I read somewhere that Weeping Willow branches don't need rooting hormone. In fact, if you take a branch and boil it in some water, that will itself make rooting hormone for other plants to grow roots.

I don't plan on planting one in the yard but I think it is nifty that a branch from this tree will cause other plants to root out. I am taking a gardening course too. Of course not having that, I use honey as a rooting hormone when I need one.

By

Tip: Make Rooting Hormone From Willow

Making your own rooting hormone with willow water.

Here's what you do:

• Get a handful of willow twigs (any Salix species will do)
  • Cut them into pieces a few inches long
  • Soak the twigs in a few inches of water for a day or two; then remove the twigs.
  • Use the willow water to soak cuttings in overnight, or to water flats of newly started cuttings, or to help transplants.

Now remember since this method isn't very exact, the strength of the willow water can vary depending on the time of year, the number of twigs, the concentration of hormones in the twigs, and the amount of time that the twigs were soaked. You will, however, still get a solution that will help your plants root.

By Sherry from Silverdale, WA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Make Your Own Rooting Hormone.

Question: Using Honey as a Propagation Hormone

I recently saw a gardener using honey as a propagating hormone. Was the honey raw honey or will processed honey also work?

By Jackie P.

Most Recent Answer

By moonxmists06/01/2014

As far as I know honey doesn't have any hormones in it that plants would use for growing roots. However, I could be very wrong about that! Honey is a really good anti-bacterial agent, which would help to keep diseases out of the plant's wound opening while it grows roots of its own accord. I haven't tried using honey on cuttings but I'm certainly going to give it a shot!

Question: How Can I Make My Own Rooting Hormone?

I know you can make your own rooting hormone dip with willow branches. But can you make it with other rigorous rooting plants such as mulberry bushes by soaking their branches or roots in water for a while? What about kudzu?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Phillip from Michigan City, IN

Most Recent Answer

By Bess10/29/2010

bsvgs - dip the ends of the cuttings in honey (no water)