Rooting Plants in Water

There is a very large spider plant at my kids' school. One day when I was there I was able to collect a small baby plant from it.

I brought it home and put it into the lab flask that I use for rooting plants. I filled it with water so that the bottom of the plant was submerged. Over the next few weeks it began rooting and is now ready to be planted in soil. It was much easier than I had expected. Now it can continue growing and make its own little baby plants. :)

More Solutions

Rooting in water is one of the best ways to start a plant. Just take a few snips from a plant that you love, being sure to include a growth node or two. Strip off any leaves that will be beneath the level of water in the glass, then place the stem end into water in a clear glass container.

Rooting plant in stemmed glass with rocks and water.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening RootingJanuary 14, 2016
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Rooting-Plants-in-Water.html