Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas

Sometimes you may need some help closing a drain outlet. This guide contains makeshift bathtub and sink stopper ideas.

Bathtub full of water.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Take an unused Keurig cup and place it in the drain. A great temporary solution that works like a charm!

K-Cup Drain Stopper
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm an old bachelor who loves seedless red raspberry jam. I never buy regular seeded raspberry jam.

In Canton, Ohio, the supplier of choice for that product is Smuckers, located one town to the west of Canton.

I was washing utensils after canning tomatoes this afternoon and noticed that my sink drain seemed to be clogged. I didn't like that idea and when I finished the job and removed the plastic dishwashing pan I always use, I was amazed to see the metal lid from a Smucker's jam jar, 12 oz, had settled upside-down onto the sink drain and formed an almost perfect seal.

Over the years I've tried to make perfect sink-drain seals - using plastic bags, rubber stoppers, etc. Nothing worked, really.

My ceramic sink (stainless drain) may be really old, but every now and then a pleasant surprise arrives by accident.

Perhaps this tip might work for other kitchen laborers? And, aren't we all?

Source: Discovered this completely and serependitiously -- which means by a really lucky accident.

I need to find a sink stopper what can I use for one?

By Deborah W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Put a plastic lid over the drain then fill a glass or cup with water to weigh it down and set on the lid. It should stay in place long enough for you to do dishes, and the water not leak out. I just did this yesterday and it worked fine.

Read More Answers...

The house I am at doesn't have the disposal stopper. I like to do dishes with a full sink of water so this posed a problem. Then, I realized that a tall glass works wonders.

Someone posted here once that certain jar lids worked so this is just another clever solution to those pesky problems that plague our lives. Easy Peasy!

Hope this helps.

Emergency Sink Stopper
        CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't find the stopper to your bathtub, the clean lid of a butter dish works well.

By Camilla

Better Living Simple LivingSeptember 9, 2013
        Porcelain bathtub.
        Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
        Removing rust stains from a sink.
        Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
        Door Draft Stopper
        Making a Door Draft Stopper
        Sink with hair dye stains
        Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 23, 2016 at 7:05:05 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 404 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.