Browsing: Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas

Sometimes you may need some help closing a drain outlet. This guide contains makeshift bathtub and sink stopper ideas.

Bathtub full of water.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 12, 2015 Flag

Take an unused Keurig cup and place it in the drain. A great temporary solution that works like a charm!

K-Cup Drain Stopper

August 10, 2013 Flag

I'm an old bachelor who loves seedless red raspberry jam. I never buy regular seeded raspberry jam.

In Canton, Ohio, the supplier of choice for that product is Smuckers, located one town to the west of Canton.

I was washing utensils after canning tomatoes this afternoon and noticed that my sink drain seemed to be clogged. I didn't like that idea and when I finished the job and removed the plastic dishwashing pan I always use, I was amazed to see the metal lid from a Smucker's jam jar, 12 oz, had settled upside-down onto the sink drain and formed an almost perfect seal.

Over the years I've tried to make perfect sink-drain seals - using plastic bags, rubber stoppers, etc. Nothing worked, really.

My ceramic sink (stainless drain) may be really old, but every now and then a pleasant surprise arrives by accident.

Perhaps this tip might work for other kitchen laborers? And, aren't we all?

Source: Discovered this completely and serependitiously -- which means by a really lucky accident.

November 5, 2011 Flag

I need to find a sink stopper what can I use for one?

By Deborah W.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Put a plastic lid over the drain then fill a glass or cup with water to weigh it down and set on the lid. It should stay in place long enough for you to do dishes, and the water not leak out. I just did this yesterday and it worked fine.

As temporary sinkstoppers, I have used clean dishcloths, clean washcloths, clean, small towels, but only temporarily, as the water will eventually leak out. Depending on how crammed you get them in the sink drain, they could last for minutes, or hours.

Find a solid (one without holes, that is) jar opener at the dollar store, it's flexible & big enough to do the job!

July 5, 2014 Flag

The house I am at doesn't have the disposal stopper. I like to do dishes with a full sink of water so this posed a problem. Then, I realized that a tall glass works wonders.

Emergency Sink Stopper

November 30, 2004 Flag

If you can't find the stopper to your bathtub, the clean lid of a butter dish works well. By Camilla

Better Living Simple LivingSeptember 9, 2013
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Door Draft Stopper
Making a Door Draft Stopper
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:37:27 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.