Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas

Category Simple Living
Sometimes you may need some help closing a drain outlet. This guide contains makeshift bathtub and sink stopper ideas.

Take an unused Keurig cup and place it in the drain. A great temporary solution that works like a charm!

Anonymous

Thanks to you I was able to take a bath and ease my restless leg so Thanks

I'm an old bachelor who loves seedless red raspberry jam. I never buy regular seeded raspberry jam.

In Canton, Ohio, the supplier of choice for that product is Smuckers, located one town to the west of Canton.

I was washing utensils after canning tomatoes this afternoon and noticed that my sink drain seemed to be clogged. I didn't like that idea and when I finished the job and removed the plastic dishwashing pan I always use, I was amazed to see the metal lid from a Smucker's jam jar, 12 oz, had settled upside-down onto the sink drain and formed an almost perfect seal.

Over the years I've tried to make perfect sink-drain seals - using plastic bags, rubber stoppers, etc. Nothing worked, really.

My ceramic sink (stainless drain) may be really old, but every now and then a pleasant surprise arrives by accident.

Perhaps this tip might work for other kitchen laborers? And, aren't we all?

Source: Discovered this completely and serendipitously -- which means by a really lucky accident.

I think this is a great idea! I've had lids get stuck in my sink drain & stop up the water, but I only found it annoying....never thought of doing it on purpose - thanks for the great tip!

Judy=Oklahoma

The house I am at doesn't have the disposal stopper. I like to do dishes with a full sink of water so this posed a problem. Then, I realized that a tall glass works wonders.

Someone posted here once that certain jar lids worked so this is just another clever solution to those pesky problems that plague our lives. Easy Peasy!

Hope this helps.

If you can't find the stopper to your bathtub, the clean lid of a butter dish works well. By Camilla

I need to find a sink stopper what can I use for one?

By Deborah W.

Best Answer

Put a plastic lid over the drain then fill a glass or cup with water to weigh it down and set on the lid. It should stay in place long enough for you to do dishes, and the water not leak out. I just did this yesterday and it worked fine.

As temporary sinkstoppers, I have used clean dishcloths, clean washcloths, clean, small towels, but only temporarily, as the water will eventually leak out. Depending on how crammed you get them in the sink drain, they could last for minutes, or hours.

Find a solid (one without holes, that is) jar opener at the dollar store, it's flexible & big enough to do the job!

If I'm at the dollar store, I'll just buy a stopper.

Brilliant idea.... works perfect thank you!!!!!!