Jam Jar Lid Sink Stopper

I'm an old bachelor who loves seedless red raspberry jam. I never buy regular seeded raspberry jam.

In Canton, Ohio, the supplier of choice for that product is Smuckers, located one town to the west of Canton.

I was washing utensils after canning tomatoes this afternoon and noticed that my sink drain seemed to be clogged. I didn't like that idea and when I finished the job and removed the plastic dishwashing pan I always use, I was amazed to see the metal lid from a Smucker's jam jar, 12 oz, had settled upside-down onto the sink drain and formed an almost perfect seal.

Over the years I've tried to make perfect sink-drain seals - using plastic bags, rubber stoppers, etc. Nothing worked, really.

My ceramic sink (stainless drain) may be really old, but every now and then a pleasant surprise arrives by accident.

Perhaps this tip might work for other kitchen laborers? And, aren't we all?

Source: Discovered this completely and serendipitously -- which means by a really lucky accident.

What an excellent idea! I hope you win. I too love, love, love seedless Raspberry Jam. I live in the Toledo, OH area.

I think this is a great idea! I've had lids get stuck in my sink drain & stop up the water, but I only found it annoying....never thought of doing it on purpose - thanks for the great tip!

Judy=Oklahoma

Great idea! I'm in Knoxville and we have Smucker's here too. In 1982 we moved to Houston Tx and the humidity there was dreadful for my salt supply. It defied the little Morton girl on the salt box and my salt clumped terribly. We had a near empty jar of smucker's grape jelly on hand with the pretty purple and white checked lid. In those days they just had the gingham checks with no name or logo on the lid. I put the salt in the jar and cut part of the label which said iodized salt and scotch taped it to the jar and I still have that salt jar to this day! It won't go in the sink or dishwasher so I clean it by hand every now and then. I love it! My little purple and white lid just cheers up my kitchen.

Thank you very much for the great idea!