Making BBQ for a Large Group

Category Meal Planning
Serving bbq ribs to a large group.
BBQ meals are a popular choice for the backyard meal as well as for large groups at parties, weddings, and other events. This is a guide about making BBQ for a large group.

I have planned a backyard BBQ for my daughter's 8th birthday. Our guest list this year became a little larger than expected. My daughter wanted to invite a lot more of her school friends and we usually do not do this as her birthday falls after school has ended. We allowed her to invite about 6 boys from her class and 6 girls. Then we got hit with another 25 guests that we usually do not have.

My father in law will have family arriving from New Jersey, Louisiana, and California this includes adults and many more children. Now I am really worried. I did not budget so many extra mouths to feed. I need some advice on low cost recipes. Where can I find coupons for Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Buns, Drinks, Chips and everything else needed? Can anyone help me save money on a party for atleast 50 people or more? I don't know where to start.

By Nicolle from Stafford, VA

I feel for you. My son is a July baby, and while we don't do friends for parties, we have a list of about 70 people if everyone in the family shows up.

Why don't you ask everyone to bring a covered dish? We even did that for our wedding, and most everyone was happy to oblige. We just told them that we weren't having the typical wedding to begin with and it would be a covered dish thing......your not having the typical BBQ, so you can do the covered dish thing too.

Think about who makes what or who is "known" for what in the family. We have the automatic who's bringing what of people that bring the potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, cheesecake, etc. Those that aren't sure can bring a bag of chips, pretzels, a veggie tray, fruit tray, cheese tray. Nothing outlandishly expensive, but it saves when you add it all up. You can even see if there is anyone with extra flatware or paper products as well. We usually at least supplied the meat for the bbq though....not appearing too cheap....

Make sure to do this right away. If you wait til the last minute, there might be some who would have loved to bring something, but didn't have the time or money to go fetch ingredients from the store.

Good Luck

Kaiti

I agree with Katie since this affair has snowballed into a bigger guest list than planned. I don't think anyone would mind helping out....most folks are only too happy to bring something and if everyone pitches in, it's not like anyone has to spend a lot.

I agree too. We don't have a huge family, but even so it's our tradition to take something towards the meal to help out the host family. It can be a salad, a casserole dish, a dessert. It gives a lovely oldfashioned feeling of 'sharing' and takes some of the burden off the host.

We have a fish fry every year in September. We furnish the fish, potato salad, baked beans and onion rings. I ask people, if they ask me, to bring a desert. Works out great.

By the way, our fish fry totals anywhere from 130 to 175 people so I always ask for an RSVP. We fish our lake for most of the fish. I like pollack (walleye) so we buy that. We can usually get a good deal.

Fish is relatively inexpensive if you shop around. Next I would consider chicken thighs/legs on sale. Normally around .49-.59 cents this time of year. Might want to grill chicken.