Making Hot Chocolate for a Large Group Inexpensively

This is a guide about making hot chocolate for a large group inexpensively. Hot chocolate is an easy drink to prepare for a large group of people. Here are some tips for keeping the cost down.

I have to get hot chocolate for the whole 5th grade in October. The teacher asked me because I'm a great deal shopper. They are going to mix it together and serve it out of crock pots. Does anyone have any ideas? Which kind would be less expensive? Would it be packets, milk, or what? There are 80 kids in the 5th grade. Thanks.

By angie from Cleveland, TN

Answers

Best Answer

The most economical and by far, the most delicious way to make a lot of real hot chocolate is to buy a box of Hershey's Cocoa, follow the recipe on the back of the box, and increasing the amounts of all ingredients to make as much as you need. You can make up the "syrup", then take it in jars to wherever you're going to be serving, then put it in crock pots along with milk and heat.

Also make up dry skimmed milk adding a little extra to make it richer, buy a few bags of big marshmallows and you'll be good to go. Hope this helps. I've been there and done that.

Pookarina

Last year I bought a big box of Swiss Miss hot chocolate packets at Sam's Club. I used them as part of teacher appreciation gifts, and part of my daughter's individual Christmas goody bags for her classmates. It had something like 50 or 60 packets in it, and it was maybe $5 or $6. That would be good if you just want them to mix up individual cups (you'd just need some hot water). But if you're wanting to mix up a big batch in a crock pot, you could probably get an even better cost per serving with the big canisters of mix that they have.

Good luck with the hot chocolate, it sounds like lots of fun!

Anonymous

I second Pookarina!

The Hershey's with instant milk sounds the best. I just want to echo loudly the marshmallow suggestion. They will make it extra-special.