Browsing: Making Homemade Jelly

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Homemade Jelly

Thinking of using that bumper crop of fruit, great prices on fruit at the market, or even fruit juice to make homemade jelly. There are some questions that might arise. This is a guide about making homemade jelly.

Homemade Jelly
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 25, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making jelly from fruit juice. A quick way to make jelly even if you don't have a lot of seasonal fruit is to use fruit juice.

Making Jelly from Fruit Juice

July 21, 2004 Flag

Does anyone else think that the price of jelly-making is too high? I bought a package of surejell today for 2.29. I bought this in addition to the sugar and the canning lids. I picked the grapes for free, but many people buy their fruit for jelly-making. I read in the instructions that one package will make 8 cups of grape jelly. I read on the ingredient label that what I am buying (1.75 oz) is Dextrose (some kind of sugar), fumaric acid, and fruit pectin. 2.29 seems way too high for what I'm getting.

Does anyone have an alternative for making jelly, or a cheaper source of buying the fruit pectin? Thanks--Paula in Waco.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For the pectin from apples, does it matter if they are tart or not? My apple tree makes tart apples, which I may mix with pears for sauce, and I am planning on making plum jam from the plum tree. Would the tartiness of the apple adversely affect the plum? This will be my very first try at preserves and I am planning on doing freezer jam.

UNRIPE APPLES!!! My DH "pruned" our tree, so I salvaged the little green apples. I found an article in the Oregonian, (lost the date!) by Vern Nelson (the hungry gardener) and here is a brief rundown:

Select only hard fruit with a strong sour taste. If they start to sweeten, there will not be enough pectin;

Wash and cut apples (quarter large, half for small) but do not core or peel. Add water until almost covered, place lid on pot and cook on low (I set 2 on electric) stirring every 15 minutes until it breaks down into a thin sauce. (Mine took 5 hours)

Strain sauce with cheesecloth, or teeshirt inot another large pot/container and let it set overnight dripping. DO NOT force it to strain, as this will make it cloudy and adversely affect the outcome.

Test the liquid when cooled by putting a spoonful into a small glass with one inch of rubbing alcohol. Use a fork to retrieve the clump. If it remains clumped on the fork, it is a perfect gel. If it sags or hangs, it will be a little loose. This depends on the cooking time.

You can freeze it or fill hot, sterilized jars and process at 185 degrees for 15 minutes.

To use: Use 4-6 tablespoons per cup of juice or fruit. For each 5 cups of pectin/fruit mix, add about 7 cups of sugar.

For more information: Vern Nelson: the Hungry Gardner, PO BOX 16945 Portland OR 97292 anewleaf1@aol.com

It was a blessing to find this! I used a grocery bag full of apples and made 18 oz of pectin, but I also used the pulp to make 12 cups of applesauce with 2 cups of sugar and some cinnamon...YUMMY

I still need to wait for the rest of the infamous NW blackberries to ripen, as I am making my very first batch of freezer jam with this,,,I'll keep y'all posted!

Would very green mangos work the same way little green apples do? Have a Salvadoran friend making candy for a living who asked me if I could find a more economical source of pectin.

I managed to find a clearance sale at a local store, MCP for 1.39 which I think works better than surejell..also I used one cup of pineapple juice for each 2 cups of berry juice (I made blackberry today) and it tastes awesome. Also you can add a little water to the fruit juice if you don't have enough for a full batch and it will taste just fine, if you have bought jelly at any supermarket you know that it is VERY watered down. Also scrape any leftvers from the batch into a cup, cover and refrigerate, it will taste just the same and you will have a lot of jelly that would have otherwise gone down the drain. Good Luck

The problem with using no fruit pectin and letting it cook down is that you only get about half as much jam to put up.

July 15, 2015 Flag

I made raspberry syrup, but it is way too thin. I'm thinking of making it into jelly. Any ideas how much pectin to use and any other ideas to make this process easy as possible?

Simple! You can just boil the syrup down to reduce the water content.

Getting the right consistency takes some trial & error, because the sauce thickens as it cools. Boil it for a bit to reduce, allow it to cool, test it and boil again if too runny. If too thick, mix in a bit of water.

August 20, 2004 Flag

I am about to embark on a jelly making frenzy so as to start a business. Anyone have any advice? Is there a way to make really large batches at a time?

Lynne

Here's some information for Washington State, what state are you in?

SELLING HOMEMADE JAMS & JELLIES

Home prepared fruit-based jams and jellies may be sold by the producer directly to the public at places like farmers' markets, holiday bazaars, your own premises or business, or on the premises where the product is made.

The following information will guide you through the requirements for preparing, testing and labeling these products for sale to the public.  Our Jam & Jelly Flowsheet will also help you understand the process.

Read more...

http://www.clallam.net/EnvHealth/html/fd_homemade.htm

Thank you, I have been looking for some help with starting a small jelly making business. Just the 2 feed backs I read has helped me with vital information.

Does anyone know how I can go about getting my kitchen certified and what the requirements are? I would really appreciate any advice. Also, I have a stationary company if anyone would like a discount on business cards and such. Please email me at slystx @ aol.com (remove spaces)

i am thinking of starting a jelly making business. I have no idea on where to start from, i need some help.

We made some concord grape jelly and it didn't set. I think there were maybe about 2 cups too much liquid for the amount of pectin we put in. Does anyone know whether we can re-heat it and add more pectin? Or do I have to settle with 10 jars of grape syrup? Many thanks!

August 31, 2006 Flag

Can I make a jelly recipe, add water to make a syrup and then can it?

Karaof4 from MN

Kara,

I don't know if it can be done that way or not; however, a lady on a crafting group I belong to said that she was making jelly and it didn't set properly so she was going to use it for syrup. She said what she did was that she didn't use the right amount of sugar so the jelly didn't set properly.

Hope that helps some?

You can do as the previous person said-- however, I believe the sugar amount is figured to preserve the juice-- which then allows canning--

I too have had "apple jelly syrup"- and it isn't bad at all-- however-- In lieu of changing the formulation for jelly to get to the syrup stage-- go ahead and can for jelly-- and when you want syrup, add water to your jelly and nuke it in the M/W-- get the best of both worlds-- without risking your good homemade jelly!

good luck

I wouldn't cut back on the juice or sugar, but

just use 1/2 a package of certo.

That's what I do for chokecherry syrup.

Good Luck

The stuff that causes jelly to 'jell' is a substance called 'pectin', a carbohydrate that occurs naturally in ripe fruits and berries. Many jelly recipes call for adding pectin in case the fruit doesn't have enough to allow it to congeal. (Kraft's 'Sure-Jell" comes to mind, but there are probably other brands available.) If your recipe calls for adding pectin and you don't want it to set, the first thing I'd do is leave that stuff out. I don't know what to do about the naturally occurring pectin in the fruit; if it's good and ripe fruit often has enough to make the jelly set.

Good luck, and happy Labor Day, everyone!

July 20, 2010 Flag

How can I fix jelly that does not set up after it is done?

October 1, 2009 Flag

What will happen if I forgot to add lemon in my canned jelly?

Load More
Food and Recipes Canning Jam and JellySeptember 19, 2012
Homemade Jelly (Puffy Paint) Accessories
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipes
Beet Jelly
Beet Jelly Recipes
Jelly Jar Candles
Making Jelly Jar Candles
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 11:34:21 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.