Browsing: Making Homemade Jelly

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Homemade Jelly

Thinking of using that bumper crop of fruit, great prices on fruit at the market, or even fruit juice to make homemade jelly. There are some questions that might arise. This is a guide about making homemade jelly.

Homemade Jelly
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 25, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making jelly from fruit juice. A quick way to make jelly even if you don't have a lot of seasonal fruit is to use fruit juice.

Making Jelly from Fruit Juice

July 15, 2015 Flag

I made raspberry syrup, but it is way too thin. I'm thinking of making it into jelly. Any ideas how much pectin to use and any other ideas to make this process easy as possible?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Simple! You can just boil the syrup down to reduce the water content.

Getting the right consistency takes some trial & error, because the sauce thickens as it cools. Boil it for a bit to reduce, allow it to cool, test it and boil again if too runny. If too thick, mix in a bit of water.

August 31, 2006 Flag

Can I make a jelly recipe, add water to make a syrup and then can it?

Karaof4 from MN

Kara,

I don't know if it can be done that way or not; however, a lady on a crafting group I belong to said that she was making jelly and it didn't set properly so she was going to use it for syrup. She said what she did was that she didn't use the right amount of sugar so the jelly didn't set properly.

Hope that helps some?

You can do as the previous person said-- however, I believe the sugar amount is figured to preserve the juice-- which then allows canning--

I too have had "apple jelly syrup"- and it isn't bad at all-- however-- In lieu of changing the formulation for jelly to get to the syrup stage-- go ahead and can for jelly-- and when you want syrup, add water to your jelly and nuke it in the M/W-- get the best of both worlds-- without risking your good homemade jelly!

good luck

I wouldn't cut back on the juice or sugar, but

just use 1/2 a package of certo.

That's what I do for chokecherry syrup.

Good Luck

The stuff that causes jelly to 'jell' is a substance called 'pectin', a carbohydrate that occurs naturally in ripe fruits and berries. Many jelly recipes call for adding pectin in case the fruit doesn't have enough to allow it to congeal. (Kraft's 'Sure-Jell" comes to mind, but there are probably other brands available.) If your recipe calls for adding pectin and you don't want it to set, the first thing I'd do is leave that stuff out. I don't know what to do about the naturally occurring pectin in the fruit; if it's good and ripe fruit often has enough to make the jelly set.

Good luck, and happy Labor Day, everyone!

July 20, 2010 Flag

How can I fix jelly that does not set up after it is done?

By Barbara from Zenda, KS

That is a tough one I learned from my mother-in-law and it used to seem so easy.I made 24 pints of plum jelly last year 12 set up so thick and hard. I had to heat to get it out of the jar, the other 12 was like a thick sauce. I used the recommend amount of sure-jell,I would like to find out if anyone has suggestions also, It was all cooked in the same pot.

Several years ago I made mulberry jelly that did not set up. I called the 800 number on the box of sure jell. She told me that if the sure jell was out of date that could be the problem. That is something that you really need to watch. I told her that was not the problem. She said that I should go through the whole cooking process again but not to add more sugar, but to add the amt of sure jell that was required. I was disgusted and thought it was too much work. So my husband had some very good mulberry syrup for his pancakes. Now, every time I make jelly he hopes it won't set up so that he can have some more flavored syrup. LOL!

Margaret from Denton, Texas

October 1, 2009 Flag

What will happen if I forgot to add lemon in my canned jelly?

By Unycrn from Enoch, UT

Some jellies taste better with the lemon but it doesn't hurt if you forget it. No one will know unless you tell them.

Quite often the lemon is required to level out the pectin according to the fruit being used, which makes the jell process work, so if you have made it without the lemon, and it has not set up, (jelled well) within a week or two, it is possible you will have to call your jelly a pancake and waffle spread, which i do frequently, on purpose. If it tastes good, just enjoy it. From Loretta in Alabama, who raised 7 by using every means possible to not waste anything edible.

September 4, 2006 Flag

I would like to make jelly without sugar. I buy "Simply Fruit" from town but would like to make my own if I could. Any ideas?

Mona from Lumberton, MS

Ball brand has jelly making products for sugar-free jelly and jams. check in your local grocery store with canning jars and jam making products.

IF you are looking to make jelly for a diabetic, ask the person's doctor if fructose would be all right to use. NOT the high fructose corn syrup, but the fruit sugar. I make many canned items for a diabetic using fructose and it is acceptable. I buy mine from an Amish bulk food store and it isn't too very expensive. I know that there are several Amish in Missouri. Try one of those. The only thing that you can't use fructose successfuly in is regular baked goods, such as cakes and cookies. For some reason, those come out like sponges!!

I make freezer jam all the time with splendia and love it. Some people don't like the sweetners but it's fine for me. It's sweeter than sugar so try 1/2 the amount called for and taste test from there.

August 20, 2004 Flag

I am about to embark on a jelly making frenzy so as to start a business. Anyone have any advice? Is there a way to make really large batches at a time?

Lynne

Thank you, I have been looking for some help with starting a small jelly making business. Just the 2 feed backs I read has helped me with vital information.

Does anyone know how I can go about getting my kitchen certified and what the requirements are? I would really appreciate any advice. Also, I have a stationary company if anyone would like a discount on business cards and such. Please email me at slystx @ aol.com (remove spaces)

i am thinking of starting a jelly making business. I have no idea on where to start from, i need some help.

We made some concord grape jelly and it didn't set. I think there were maybe about 2 cups too much liquid for the amount of pectin we put in. Does anyone know whether we can re-heat it and add more pectin? Or do I have to settle with 10 jars of grape syrup? Many thanks!

Read More Answers...
Load More
Food and Recipes Canning Jam and JellySeptember 19, 2012
Homemade Jelly (Puffy Paint) Accessories
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipes
Beet Jelly
Beet Jelly Recipes
Jelly Jar Candles
Making Jelly Jar Candles
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:13:29 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.