Making Recycled Garden Art

There are many things that can be reused to create interesting art for the garden. This guide is about making recycled garden art.

September 17, 2015 Flag

I received a few old bowling balls from a friend and wanted to make something cute. Paint did not last. I decided that tile would be a lot sturdier and hold up to the elements. I love watching kids walking down the street and getting excited to see the Very Hungry Caterpillar and his friend the ladybug.

June 21, 2012 Flag

Instead of throwing away a lovely crystal vase that I chipped on the top edge, I turned it upside down placing it onto a marble base of an old lamp. Then I glued a mint green beehive telephone insulator (that use to be on top of a telephone pole years ago) to the top.

It now sits in my flower garden. When the sun hits the crystal and glass it adds not only a sparkle to the area, but makes for a good conversation piece as well.
Before throwing out anything try and think of ways to reuse it! You might surprise yourself.

By linn from Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Imaginative, creative, one of a kind...and you get all the credit.

Good for you!

I like.

February 4, 2010 Flag

I decided to recycle my old sewing machine that is no longer of any value except for the junk yard. I placed it in my garden and am looking forward to watching the wildflowers growing around it this summer.

As a primitive artist, rust is my best friend; old tin cans, old wood, an old bath tub, and even an old wringer washer decorate my garden. The case that held my old sewing machine will be transformed into two pots this summer.

Sometimes you can look at old things with new eyes. I would love to hear how others use things in ways that they weren't meant to be used!

By Katie from Kamloops, BC

Katie - I think all diehard gardeners look at any second hand bargain or free item with 'garden dec' in the back of their minds. I've put a chimenea in my 'tropical garden' - it's going to get plants in it come spring. I've got the typical old rusty plows & tractor attachments. Also heads of hand cultivators & shovels.

One of my favourites is a (originally valuable) 3 gal crock that had the bottom broken out of it. You shd have heard the gasp when an antiqueing buddy saw it for the first time. Metal lunch pails transformed into bird houses (I don't know what the birds think about them) A very old, very small enameled gas fireplace, Old wheeled wringer mop buckets (without the wringer) for big flower pots, a large seafood salad bowl (shaped like a shell) for a small birdbath. I'm sure I forgot a bunch cause I just love decorating my garden! Go nuts! We need more of us garden decorators out there!

Yea for all you art garden people out there. I plan to turn my back yard into an art garden. I'm an artist more than a gardener but I think I'll be inspired to add flowers and plants along with my "creations". Hey folks put up some photos, I'm a visual kinda person. I don't yet have anything to be seen, but soon...I hope.

Some of the best garden décor are things that won't work for their original purpose. I took a rickety porch swing and set it atop a composting barrel to use as a potting bench. It was cute, handy, and easily moveable. Any cuttings or dirt that needed to go to compost just dropped thru the slats, and at the end of the season I had a nice addition to the big compost pile.

July 28, 2005 Flag

This is one of our garden art decorations. I picked up an old chair at a thrift shop and repainted it, added fairy wallies and decoupaged them to chair. Added the planter and positioned "Sadie" the Garden Diva!

July 25, 2007 Flag

I painted this tea kettle white and put black splatters on it. I set it on an old iron stove that sits on our deck. I will probably put some plants in it.

A teakettle on a stand

May 4, 2015 Flag

While driving around our neighborhood we came across these neat metal sculptures. They appeared to be made out of various tanks and pipes. The person was at least 6 ft. tall and the snowman was a little smaller. They were super neat and made we wish I knew how to weld. :)

Recycled Metal Yard Art

Crafts Garden & Yard Yard ArtNovember 26, 2012
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
Bicycle Wheel
Making a Recycled Bicycle Wheel Pot Rack