Making Whipped Butter

Category Dairy
Whipped butter on a waffle.
You don't need to pay extra for whipped butter when it is easily made at home. This is a guide about making whipped butter.

I would like a good method for making whipped butter with olive oil.

By goofiesmom from Marengo, IL

Answers

Best Answer

I have been mixing my butter with an equal amount of canola oil for a few years now. Not only does it spread cold from the fridge, it cuts the sat fat calories of butter in half and replaces them with mono and poly unsaturates which are the "good" fats. So it is healthier than margarine or butter. I just take half a pound of butter (1 cup) room temperature, and put it in my food processor. Add 1 cup Canola oil and blend until smooth. It will pour at room temperature, so pour it into a container, put a lid on it and store in the fridge. Olive oil will work for this also. I used light olive oil for the first year that I did this, but the nutritional value of Canola and Olive oils are almost identical, so it is more frugal to use Canola

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

Here is recipe for homemade whipped butter.

8oz (2 sticks) room temperature butter.

8oz (1 cup) light olive or Canola oil.

1/2 cup very cold milk

Best if whipped with stand mixer with wire whisk to aerate. Mix butter and oil until well blended. Add cold milk and wipe on high until aerated and uniform color.

Simply soften the butter (don't melt it); then place in a deep bowl and use your electric mixer to whip it, scraping the bowl often. Once it starts to lighten in color, add the oil in a very thin stream, a little bit at a time. Store in an airtight container. If you're keeping it for days, refrigerate it.

Our family enjoys real butter, but to make sure they continue to eat as healthily as possible and still have what they like best, I whip one pound of room temperature butter with 6-8 ounces olive oil, but I also add a softened 8oz block of reduced calorie cream cheese and about 4 ounces of honey or orange marmalade to our "breakfast butter". Great for toast, hot biscuits, toasted bagels or English muffins.

We buy wild honey when we can, and I make my own orange marmalade so we are not eating nearly as much of the chemical preservatives as some store-bought foods have in them. I keep it refrigerated and take out what I think we'll use in a single meal. I do not mix any that's left after

the meal into the other either, but put it in a small container to be eaten first when it's time for another meal.

If you take off what you need in "curls", it will soften very quickly anyway. I use a potato peeler to made the curls. You can make a lot of curls at one time and keep them refrigerated, or you can just take off as many curls as you intend to eat at a single meal.

All the best, Julia in Boca Raton, FL