Making Your Own Pony Tail Holder

Category Bath & Beauty
There are lots of stores where you can buy ponytail holders, but why not make your own unique holders. This is a guide about making your own pony tail holder.

Making Button Hair Ties

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making button hair ties. Quickly and easily make your ponytail bands more decorative using buttons.

I made a discovery a few days ago after paying 4 bucks plus shipping for a pair of ladybug pony tail holders. They were made with novelty buttons with a shank. They had a Goody stretch pony tail holder.

I bought some novelty buttons and stretch rings and made some by pulling the ring though the shank with a piece of thread. You can then loop it back through itself like you would with a latch hook. Adjust the tautness of it just by pulling and wiggling it around. Now she has butterflies, daisies, and high top tennis shoes.

If your local Walmart has a fabric department they have some really nice little bags of 10 or 12 buttons for around 2 dollars. Really clever designs. Cars, animals, all sorts of things

The tops of knee high stockings make great pony tail holders! Just cut off the top band. They hold hair in place, plus there is no snagging. I even keep a few in my kitchen "junk drawer" to hold back my hair while I am cooking. They are also great for holding cords in place that you have wrapped up. Also, the rest of the knee high is great for holding things together or staking tomato plants, etc...

By Carol Y. from Landisville, PA

definitely a great idea, and cheaper than hair bands that you buy that you lose within a week, I've done this plenty of times, it holds your hair in very well and doesn't fall loose. great to hear a tip i use often hehe:)

I want to make a ponytail holder for my daughter, who is a cheerleader for her school. I have seen one previously that I want to try and make. It looked like it might have had ribbons in the school colors tied in some fashion to an elastic. Any pattern ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Javawoman

Best Answer

I got this from the Crafty Moms website.

Basic Ponytail: Cut a piece of decorative wool approximately 3 times the size of the elastic band you are using. For my ponytail, I used chunky Shetland multicolored wool. Begin, by tying a knot of the wool onto the elastic band. Twist the wool around the elastic. Wind it around the ponytail twice. Tie another knot to secure it to the ponytail. Have the knots line up to make the band have a cleaner look. Cut the excess wool off. These ponytails cost pennies. This is the basis for the remaining decorative ponytails.

Beaded Ponytail: Use any size elastic and twist a ribbon or wool around the ponytail in the basic manner. On the second twist around the pony tail, thread a bead onto the wool and twist around the ponytail once, add another bead and so on, until the ponytail is complete.

Button Ponytail: Make a basic ponytail with ribbon or wool. Glue very small objects all around the elastic. I have used multicolored buttons, and pearls. Be creative with your objects.

This is just the beginning of making decorative ponytails, glance through a hair accessory department to get more wonderful ideas.

Basic Clip: Go to your local craft store or five and dime store and purchase a small bag of hair clips to decorate. You need hot glue and various objects to glue on the clip. Go through your junk drawers and happy hunting. The objects should not be too heavy as it weights down the clip making it uncomfortable to wear.

Beaded Clip: Glue rows and rows of beads onto the clip. Make a design by using different colored beads. Use a pin to place the beads. The eyes may go a little wacky, if you have a great deal of beads to glue, do not do it in one seating.

Ribbon Clip: Make a ribbon and glue to the clip. You may also first wrap the ribbon around the clip and tie a ribbon on top of the clip. Both work well.

Best Answer

I take one of the ready made thick rubber pony-tail holders and cut narrow ribbons in the color mix needed to do team colors about 3 inches long. Fold each ribbon in half and lay the fold under the rubber pony-tail holder. Thread the 2 tails of ribbon thru the fold so it covers the rubber band; pull snug to form a knot. Repeat this till the band is full of knots. This can be done with narrow strips of fabric or tulle netting in any colors you can imagine small pieces of tinsel can be added for sparkle. Good luck. D

Best Answer

Can you crochet? I found a neat little pattern to crochet pony tail holders I have been working getting some done for every holiday and I did one in our school colors so my daughter would have something to wear on school spirit days. I found this pattern on I village and it was red, white and blue, but you could easily only do 2 colors. The other pattern I have works best with multicolor yarn. These are cute and easy and you could easily add some ribbon for more pizzazz.

Use a size H hook

Rnd 1 with 1st color sc around ponytail holder,join in back loop of first sc.

Rnd 2 Ch 1,sc in back loop of each sc around, join in back loop of first sc

Rnd 3 Ch 1 sc in back loop of first sc, *ch 5, sc in back loop of next sc , rep around, ch 5 join with sl st in first sc Fasten off.

Rnd 4 join 2nd color with sl st in front loop of sc in round 2 ch 1, *sc in front loop of sc, ch 5, rep around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off. If you want to add a 3rd color.

Round 5 Join 3rd color with sl st in front loop of round 1, Ch 1,*sc in front loop of sc, ch 5, rep around, join with sl st to first st. Fasten off.

Best Answer

You can purchase fabric buttons and ponytail holder kits from American Button Machines. You can find them at www.AmericanButtonMachines.com

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I made these for dance teams, sports teams from my daughters growing up.,.

I used a thick (covered) rubber band.. got some scrap material in the colors we needed, cut strips about 1/2" by about 3" (can't remember the exact size, but you can play with it).. then just tied around the rubber band, alternating colors until it was very full.. you can pull the rubber band a little to add a few more stips...

Hope this makes sense

I went to the American Doll store this weekend. They are selling a ponytail holder that had those satin ribbons that are really thin. They took a few colors and tied it on. It does not go all around the ponytail, but tied so the ribbons can be seen on top of your ponytail.( It is the same ribbon we used through barrettes when we were little; when they were weaved in and out.) This craft is so easy!