Making a Clothespin Bag

If you dry your clothes on the line, a clothespin bag is an essential item. Have fun and make your own. This is a guide about making a clothespin bag.

May 9, 2007 Flag

If you have a leftover toddler's dress or buy one at a garage sale, here's a cute way to recycle it into a clothespin holder.

Materials:

Directions:

All you have to do is sew the bottom straight across and and insert the clothes hanger in top and hang on your clothes line, but don't forget to bring in from the bad weather.

By Sandy from Bluff City, TN.

Precious! I'm going to use a plastic baby clothes hanger so I can get it wet, and I'll sew it in to the back side of the shoulders of the bag. Also, since I USED to hang clothes on a clothes line as a teen, I well remember that the bag needs to be bigger for enough clothespens to hang clothes for a family of three. So, I'll get a larger dress for the bag. Thank you for the cute idea. God bless you. : )

I found a pattern in a very old craft magazine of this same clothespin bag.I made myself a pattern out of construction paper and have made dozens of these bags.I didn't know anyone else knew about these bags..good to know I'm not the only one.They are very easy to make.here's a pic of one I made.

That is so cute, and just when I need a new clothes pin bag. But hey, couldn't I also use this idea for storing nylons? Sure, why not! Thank you for sharing.

A lady friend of my Mother's gave her one of these over 50 years ago, when I was a little girl! Mom thought it was too cute to hang outside, so she gave it to me to use as a pajamma bag in my closet. I'm sixty now and it's still in my closet. It now holds stockings and socks.

September 20, 2007 Flag

I've been living frugually most of my life and loving it. Always trying to find ways of saving money. My clothes pin bag was worn out and I found a free sewing pattern on a website.

I bought a tea towel for $1.00 at an estate sale. What is needed to complete the project is a wooden hanger. I had one hanging in my closet so I asked my husband to cut the ends to shorten it for the clothes pin bag.

By Marge from NY

I once made a clothespin bag from a childrens blouse I bought from a garage sale that had some sticker residue that I could not get off. I sewed the bottom of the blouse and hung it on hanger.

Zig

Hi I had a clothespin bag that the hangar had broken in, so I took one of those skirt hangars with the 2 clips on it and clipped it on the outside of the bag. Works perfect and should last forever.

One more tip. I took a kitchen towel and sewed it up length wise. Put elastic around the top and bottom. I made a loop of rick rack at the top to hang it up with. I put plastic grocery bags into the top, And when I want one, I pull it from the bottom. This works so well, and takes up a small amount space. kddid

My friend told me that she made a clothespin bag out a little girl's dress. Sew the bottom hem closed, put the dress on a hanger and fill with clothespins.

Marge from NY

August 1, 2011 Flag

I need something to hold my wooden clothespins and keep them dry outside. I need to be able to easily open and close it and easily get my hand inside to grab a few clothespins. Any creative ideas, e.g. recycling another item? Thanks.

By DG

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In the past you could buy them but a large spider hiding in mine made me throw it away. But here is a suggestion. Make an ordinary apron. Turn the hem up on the outside about 8 inches. Stitch pockets every 6 inches or so and put your clothes pins in the pockets. Wear it while you hang clothes or bring them in but do not leave it outside.

I used a large gallon zip lock bag for my pins. I attach one side to the line with some of the pins this leaves the other side open to get your hand in it. Zip it shut when done.

It works well but the bag needs replacing every so often.

Take an empty milk jug, clean it thoroughly, then cut an opening opposite the jug handle large enough to put your hand through. Use an awl or metal kitchen skewer to put holes in the bottom of the jug for drainage. Put a slit at the bottom of the handle where it meets the jug for hanging on your clothesline. This is the longest lasting and cleanest device I've ever found to hold clothes pins. Bring inside to keep your clothes pins dry.

Lilac beat me to it, lol! I love using an apron for the clothes pins, and have made one using pretty much the same directions she gives in her post:)

I got a carpenter apron as a freebie once about thirty years ago and it occurred to me that this would make a very handy clothes pin holder. When it wore out I bought another one because the aprons were $1.99 at Lowes and cheaper than I could make one myself.

Now that I live in the UK I've made one from an old canvas bag my new husband was about to bin because those aprons cost just a bit more than I'm willing to pay here in northern Scotland!

The apron is the best, most handy help when hanging out the washing. No need to remember to carry it in after you hang out the clothes, no need to push the bag along as you hang out the clothes, and no wicked surprises like spiders taking up residence in those cosy cloth/plastic bags!

I hang mine by the washing machine or set it in the basket between loads.

December 16, 2010 Flag

My mother used to have a clothes bag for clothes pins when she hung her clothes out on the line to dry. Does anyone have a pattern for it? I would really appreciate it.

By Jann from Union, OR

I don't have a pattern but rather a suggestion I have used for years. I used an old shoulder bag purse. I put the clothes pins in the purse, put the purse on my shoulder and voila. I am ready hang up all the clothes I desire! Great recycling idea for those "green" minded persons.

I used one of my daughter's small dresses she outgrew and sewed the bottom and the sleeves at the shoulders closed. It was really cute and you can modify the skirting to a slimmer appearance if you don't want that much fullness.

If you know how to crochet, go to myrecycledbags.com they have a great one to make using plarn(cutting up plastic grocery bags) I made mine a few years ago and its still going strong! I even used the same pattern but using cut up tshirts as "yarn" as well. It came out looking great!

May 7, 2013 Flag

Anyone out there have a easy pattern for a clothes pin holder?

By Cindy

Hi, I used a size two boy's shirt. Just stitch up the bottom and you have an adorable clothespin bag.

THIS MAKES A GREAT, LONG-LASTING BAG: The bag is basically a square, with the top shaped to fit over a wire hanger. It's not difficult to make. Start with heavy fabric, such as twill or denim. Cut two pieces about 18" square. Choose a sturdy wire coat hanger. Follow the contours of the top of the hanger to shape the top--adding a 5/8" seam allowance above the hanger to mark your cutting line. Sewing steps: STEP 1.) To create an opening for the hook of the hanger, in the center, where the two sloping sides of the hanger come together, cut a straight line about 2" long (on both pieces). On each piece, turn the raw straight edge under 1/4". Stitch. Turn stitched edge down about 3/8" and stitch again, close to the previously stitched edge. STEP 2.) On one piece of fabric, use a circular object, such as a bowl, to draw a circle of about 4-1/2" centered 3" below the straight opening sewn in Step 1. Cut out. Use double-fold bias tape to finish the opening. (Tip: a small zig-zag stitch works well.) STEP 3.) With right sides of the two pieces of fabric together, stitch from one side of the flat center top opening (Step 1) down one sloped top edge, continuing around the entire bag, and back to the hook opening on the other side. Use a 5/8" seam and a small straight or zig-zag stitch. Backstitch at the beginning and end. For added durability (or if fabric frays easily), you may make a second row of stitching about 1/2" from the raw edge. Clip to the stitching line in each of the four corners. STEP 4.) Press the top (slanted) seams open (or draw the opened seam across the edge of a table to flatten). Turn the bag right-side out. Insert hanger, with the hook through the flat opening. I squeeze the hanger hook slightly so it stays on the clothesline well. I attach clip clothespins to the top edge and keep peg-type inside. I've used several types of clothespin bags, and this works best by far. My 85-year-old mom said the one I made her was the best birthday present she received.

Sue

February 17, 2013 Flag

You can easily make clothespin bags from recycled childrens' clothing. Use a piece of clothing that opens in the front (dress, shirt, or romper). I find that short sleeves work best.

March 31, 2005 Flag

Does anyone have a pattern for a knitted clothespin bag that hangs on the line!

Canuckmom

Hi Canuckmom,

I don't have a crochet pattern, but when my son outgrew his size two button down the front shirts, I save two of them, sewed the short sleeves shut and put them on coat hangers. I unbuttoned a couple of buttons and filled them with clothes pins. When my son married, my Mom gave him the well used clothes pin bag. (It is in use in his home!) This year, my mother-in-law gave up her home and one of her treasures was the clothes pin bag. With Mother's Day coming up, this is a great gift for loving Grandmas!

Thanks Sandy: My mother-in-law would love that, and I'll make one for me OF COURSE! I'm going to post this idea on my mom's group web site to. Thanks again.Pam

Here's a crochet one:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/clothespinbag.htm

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 17, 2012
Golf Bag with Pool Cues in it
Uses for an Old Golf Bag
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
clothespin cookie
Lady Lock or Clothespin Bar Cookie Recipes
🎄