Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags

A great way to recycle loads of plastic bags is to make a rug. This guide is about making a hooked rug using plastic bags.

March 20, 2007 Flag

We get plastic bags from all of our stores when we shop so I decided to put them to use. I found my hook rug canvas and cut my bags in 4 inch by 1 inch strips to make a plastic bag rug. They are soft and good for by the door and when they get dirty, just hose them off. Your only cost is the hook rug canvas. You can make them any size you want.

By Barb from Rothbury, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This looks great, but like Dee I have no idea how to do this. Could you give us basic instructions please. I have so many bags and because I live where we have 3 separate ways of doing our trash, I can't use them very often. So this would be a great alternative. Blessings!

Hi...I started doing the hook rugs by buying a small kit or ask at one of your craft stores..you have to have a special hook for the project..it is called a hook rug hook or latch hook.. The basic thing to do is put your hook through one post of the canvas and wrap your strip around the hook and pull it through..the hook has a clasp on it...It is hard to explain unless you have the hook and canvas...I just use the canvas and instead of using a cut piece of yarn I use a strip 1 inch by 4 inches of the plastic bag...I fold my bags and cut longs strips then cut the long strips into small ones.....when working on it I try to put different colors of strips in..makes for a pretty affect. I hope this helps because I don't know any other way to explain it....Usually if you buy a kit it has all the instructions and a hook...Good Luck....Barb

Read More Comments...

March 15, 2011 Flag

With regards to the plastic bag hooked rug craft project (Plastic Bag Hooked Rug); what do you put on the back of the rug so it doesn't slip?

By Mary Beth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy backing to hold rugs in place on the floor. Just about anywhere I imagine that sells pre-made rugs or a fabric/craft store.

I'm looking for recycled type ideas, but will welcome any other ideas too.

Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherDecember 26, 2012
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?
Plastic Bag Rug
Making a Rug from Plastic Bags
Rug Hooking Craft
Making Rug Hooking Crafts
🎉
🎄